Advice On Screen+Room Size

I'm designing a new house with a home theatre. Was thinking about a room 4.5m wide by 7m long (9 foot ceilings).

Wanting to have speakers behind an AT screen .. I have looked a few different calculators but they often give different results. I am guessing I can fit a 120 and possibly a 130" scope screen on the 4.5m wall?

There will be only one row of seating about 1 metre from the back wall. Taking this into account (and the fact that the speakers need room behind the screen), do you think 7m is too long? Should I make the room 6.5m or 6m?

Thanks.

ps: I know distance to screen size can be subjective.. heh, for reference I sit in the middle of a movie theatre, not right at the front/back ;)

Edited by bohn

A good rule of thumb is for the seating to be back from the screen about 3 x screen height. A 130" scope screen is ~1280mm high, so seating would typically be ~3.84m back, before accounting for personal preferences (mine's about 4m back from a 130" scope screen).

For that sized room you might consider a bigger screen e.g. 150", subject to light control, screen gain and projector lumens.

Just ordered a 170" screen for a 5m-w x 9m-l theatre. I'm with quark at least a 150, depends on the projector you are thinking of.

My customer wanted to make final screen decision after projector was installed-big benefit was main speaker placement was done after screen size was decided on keeping things clean.

I made my HT similar dimensions, 4.5m wide and 8m long (1m used behind screen though). I'll be going a 150" scope screen. If you have one row I would go that size, as you have plenty of room to move the seating.