petetherock

Oppo Bdp 103 D Discussion Thread (Darbee Edition Only)

Just bought one of these and installed it tonight and WOW what a player. The box is as well made as the player itself. The player loads fast and just played everything I threw at it. The only glitch I got was one of those new "Mastered in 4K" discs that froze, but a quick stop and play it went fine after that.

Can't wait to hear all SACDs and DVD-As as lossless.

How much "Darbeeness" are people applying to the image?

Yeah thanks. It did not seem offensive for the bits I watched, but might back it down a touch anyway.

HD at 35% is pretty standard for BD content. Full Pop at 30-40% for lesser quality source material.

Got the Darbee set at 50% right now. I decided to run tests with discs that have heaps of EE like the SW films. Prior to the Darbee, I found that I could back sharpness off the projector to a point where EE was just visible, but had to have some sharpness or the image suffered. On my BenQ W6000, sharpness at 0 typically makes the image a bit soft, yet the Darbee can enhance picture detail without introducing the ringing of the EE. So really happy with this.

Is it worth listening in analog to music with this player? I know the 105 has got the better DAC but wondering what sort of a job the 103 does of it? I currently listen through Coaxial, have also tried the HDMI with both yielding similar result. The only time HDMI would be better is for SACD, DVD-A or some blu-ray (concerts) lossless right? I dont have SACD because I'm worried I'll never listen to another normal CD again. A flawed view? Am I missing out? Is this digital to Analog conversion stuff overplayed given the quality of an SACD and modern players such as the OPPO 103? Many questions I know but my Analog experience isn't much.

Edit: I see on AVS thread that it (103D) uses the Cirrus 24 bit DAC. I ask again how does analog compare to digital listening experience with the 103D?

Edited by Aj72

Is it worth listening in analog to music with this player? I know the 105 has got the better DAC but wondering what sort of a job the 103 does of it? I currently listen through Coaxial, have also tried the HDMI with both yielding similar result. The only time HDMI would be better is for SACD, DVD-A or some blu-ray (concerts) lossless right? I dont have SACD because I'm worried I'll never listen to another normal CD again. A flawed view? Am I missing out? Is this digital to Analog conversion stuff overplayed given the quality of an SACD and modern players such as the OPPO 103? Many questions I know but my Analog experience isn't much.

Edit: I see on AVS thread that it (103D) uses the Cirrus 24 bit DAC. I ask again how does analog compare to digital listening experience with the 103D?

Hi aj72 ; depends on your room ; with hdmi you can utilize room eq like ARC ;Audyssey Ypao;Mcacc ; or trinnov;dirac etc . Very few avr's ; pre pro 's have a/d d/a conversion on their multichannel analog ins so the signal can be redigitized for room eq ;bass management etc . The 103 has better more refined analog stages than the earlier gen but you also need a good analog stage and a good volume control pot in the pre amp processor or avr . Some are better than others needless to say

Many sacds have more care taken in the mastering process - smaller batches for aficionados ;) - and if you like multichannel music a cd will only give you 2ch ... Don't worry about if a dac is 24bit or 32bit ; it's just marketing and 24bit is well above the human ears capability :)

edit; everyone keep your eye open for this if it eventually comes off :phone:

http://bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=29

Edited by cwt

Oppo 103D/105D now support 4k/60fps video
For Oppo 103D and 105D owners (not the older 103/105 as they use the Marvell chip vice Silicon Image), Oppo just added a beta firmware update to their website to allow the 103D and 105D to pass 4k/60fps video with the official firmware update likely available by the end of May to allow for 4k/60fps support (not full HDMI 2.0, rather just the 4k/60fps).
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/BDP103-firmware-75-0430B.aspx

I only have the Darbee box with my system but I generally set it via the PS3 main screen (cross media bar). I have mine set for about 38% green button? Anything over 40-45% trends to push the text out outlines to much for me but only when looking up close on the PJ screen.

Oppo 103D/105D now support 4k/60fps video

For Oppo 103D and 105D owners (not the older 103/105 as they use the Marvell chip vice Silicon Image), Oppo just added a beta firmware update to their website to allow the 103D and 105D to pass 4k/60fps video with the official firmware update likely available by the end of May to allow for 4k/60fps support (not full HDMI 2.0, rather just the 4k/60fps).

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/BDP103-firmware-75-0430B.aspx

It doesn't "pass" any 4K video, it only up-scales 1080p to 4K. What the update does is allow you to scale 60i sources to 4K, such as video-based content. Where previously that was limited to 24p sources.

Hi aj72 ; depends on your room ; with hdmi you can utilize room eq like ARC ;Audyssey Ypao;Mcacc ; or trinnov;dirac etc . Very few avr's ; pre pro 's have a/d d/a conversion on their multichannel analog ins so the signal can be redigitized for room eq ;bass management etc . The 103 has better more refined analog stages than the earlier gen but you also need a good analog stage and a good volume control pot in the pre amp processor or avr . Some are better than others needless to say

Many sacds have more care taken in the mastering process - smaller batches for aficionados ;) - and if you like multichannel music a cd will only give you 2ch ... Don't worry about if a dac is 24bit or 32bit ; it's just marketing and 24bit is well above the human ears capability :)

edit; everyone keep your eye open for this if it eventually comes off :phone:

http://bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=29

Thanks CWT

I hooked up to the multichannel inputs and used the Oppo DAC. I switched between Analog and digital. The Analog was definitely more forward into the room and localised. I found the bass to be less refined compared to digital. During digital listening the speakers sounded further away or at least the sound was located further back but the bass through my subs was better, less boomy. There was a difference but didn't prefer either one necessarily. Anyway I've now sold the player as it had many more functions that I will never use and I surprisingly preferred the picture on my old Sony. Not what I expected. I did like the Darbee enhancement though.

Thanks CWT

I hooked up to the multichannel inputs and used the Oppo DAC. I switched between Analog and digital. The Analog was definitely more forward into the room and localised. I found the bass to be less refined compared to digital. During digital listening the speakers sounded further away or at least the sound was located further back but the bass through my subs was better, less boomy. There was a difference but didn't prefer either one necessarily. Anyway I've now sold the player as it had many more functions that I will never use and I surprisingly preferred the picture on my old Sony. Not what I expected. I did like the Darbee enhancement though.

Thats the problem with analog straight through Aj no bass management so as per itur room specs the speakers [ all full range floorstanders are best ; have to be equidistant from the mlp and precisely positioned which is hard for most rooms :no:

Yes the sony's generally have some circuitry to tweak the mpeg off the disc ; oppo's are known for not touching things - except for darbee :D

Hey guys, i have an oppo bdp103dau about a 2014 model. Is there any way to watch Stan through it? There is no internet browser on the home screen. Is there a way to get Stan on it or an internet browser? Yes i have tried googling it but not having much luck.

Deaths

if you attached something like a chromecast hdmi, and attached that to the hdmi in on the 103D, then you could feed Stan through the OPPO.

Or, you could feed Stan through a PC, with the hdmi out from the PC into the 103D HDMI in.

Benje