Sign in to follow this  
Was_There_Then

Free-To-Air Through Cable

I recently bought a house in Russell Lea, Sydney (2046). We noticed during the inspections that there was no aerial in/on the roof.

After deciding to get rid of Foxtel, I have been working out what my options are, for receiving FTA. After stumbling across a few threads, I decided to buy a f-type to coax adaptor and see if I could receive FTA on the Foxtel outlet. Sure enough, this worked. I tried this, as there are two f-type sockets on one side of the room. When moving in, I got Foxtel to run the connection through the roof and down the other side (due to how we needed to set up the room). As I say, I removed foxtel, added the adaptor and ran the coaxial cable to the tv.

The first time I did a digital scan (via the Bravia HX929), it picked up 14 stations (no channel 9, 7Mate, Gem or GO!).

Re-scanned (on 'full range') and it picked up 6 channels (basically, those listed above but no SBS, ABC etc). When I did have Channel 9, it was very choppy/pixelated.

Given the set up through the cable, what would be my options for improving the reception? Would an amp work in this case? Thanks

So the aerial cable is plugged into nothing? It just runs to some point outside the house? It sounds like the cable is basically acting like an antenna. Judging by the reception you're getting with this limited set-up you're presumably in a good reception area. I'd just grab a cheap standard popular antenna from somewhere like Middy's and rig it to your roof and connect the cable to that. Chances seem good you'll be sorted. Alternatively get an installer to put it in for you.

FWIW I'd be surprised if a booster had much effect given the original signal quality would be pretty degraded.

As an alternative, you could just plug a $20 indoor antenna into the back of your TV. Given a strand of cable is providing as much signal as it is it seems possible (likely?) a slightly better antenna setup would be sufficient at your location.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

So the aerial cable is plugged into nothing? It just runs to some point outside the house? It sounds like the cable is basically acting like an antenna. Judging by the reception you're getting with this limited set-up you're presumably in a good reception area. I'd just grab a cheap standard popular antenna from somewhere like Middy's and rig it to your roof and connect the cable to that. Chances seem good you'll be sorted. Alternatively get an installer to put it in for you.

FWIW I'd be surprised if a booster had much effect given the original signal quality would be pretty degraded.

As an alternative, you could just plug a $20 indoor antenna into the back of your TV. Given a strand of cable is providing as much signal as it is it seems possible (likely?) a slightly better antenna setup would be sufficient at your location.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks. Yes, so the aerial cable is plugged from the tv , into the 'foxtel' socket. Picks up anywhere between 6 and 14 channels, using that cable connection (there is no standard aerial/coaxial socket).

Perhaps as you suggest, I might try an indoor antenna and see what that is able to pick up (at the moment, I'm using the Foxtel box for $10 per month and would like to get rid of it completely).

Edited by Was_There_Then

Since you've still got the Foxtel box, you could try connecting it to the cable and your TV to the Foxtel box and seeing if you can get FTA channels through the box. Foxtel would have turned off the pay TV channels but the FTA channels may still be watchable.

Since you've still got the Foxtel box, you could try connecting it to the cable and your TV to the Foxtel box and seeing if you can get FTA channels through the box. Foxtel would have turned off the pay TV channels but the FTA channels may still be watchable.

Hi Ron12,

Yes, I can currently watch the FTA channels on the Foxtel box (which Foxtel offer for $10 per month). Having said that, I had hoped to get rid of the box completely, so I'm looking at what options I have... Seems best to try an indoor antenna, or pro install (or just put up, with the channels that are picked up via the cable socket).

Hi guys, I've been using Foxtel for yrs now and have 2 connections around the house all wired up for Foxtel Digital (HD - IQ2).

I can no longer afford Foxtel.

So FTA is the fall back. I have an antenna that has probably been there for many years but not used due to Foxtel. Since Foxtel was installed it appears all the connections to this antenna has been severed as I've tried to connect the TV and cannot tune any channels.

Now my question is will I be able to use the existing Foxtel connections with the Antenna by re-wiring the coaxial cables? I will need to find out where to change the cabling.

I also got a quote from an antenna installer and it was well out of my price range...so I need to find a way to DIY.

Any help would be much appreciated guys.

Cheers,

V.

I don't know where you live but I just use an indoor antenna with excellent results makes me feel secure when lighting is around especially with an expensive Pioneer attached at the other end !!

cheers laurie

IMO if Foxtel are responsible for the severed FTA cabling then they are responsible for repairing the FTA cabling.

Basically you are using the sat dish as an antenna! Bit more than just cable but still in no means suitable.

Some Houses and Estates have underground TV Cabling.

Edited by Z2TT

Just had foxtel set up in two locations. I asked the installer to set up the connections for a third room just in case it was required in the future.

I thought he would be putting in an aerial but I was niave and he told me at the completion of the job that he didn't do this.

What are my options to get free to air. He suggested AV Sender but that will just allow me to watch what's on fox in another room correct?

Are indoor aerials any use at all?

Just had foxtel set up in two locations. I asked the installer to set up the connections for a third room just in case it was required in the future.

I thought he would be putting in an aerial but I was niave and he told me at the completion of the job that he didn't do this.

What are my options to get free to air. He suggested AV Sender but that will just allow me to watch what's on fox in another room correct?

Are you using cable or satellite? Where are you located?

Foxtel satellite includes ABC & SBS. In Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane it includes most commercial channels (but not commercial HD channels).

Foxtel cable includes free to air channels.

You cannot get frew to air through fox box as they turn it off completly I just cancelled iq3 subscription an I tried hence service was cable set

You cannot get frew to air through fox box as they turn it off completly I just cancelled iq3 subscription an I tried hence service was cable set

3 hours ago, Awesomeness said:

frew to air

This thread is almost 4 years old with the last post being 23/1/14...

JSmith :ninja: