So I tried this...

I took HDMI cable out of HDMI1.

I plugged it into HDMI2.

4k.

Took 5 years to find that out.

Took 5 seconds to swap HDMI inputs..

?

Thank you so very much....

Mate you're very welcome, and glad it fixed your issue. Regarding 24p, that's correct it's 24fps. All uhd blu rays are authored with this framerate, except for Billy Lynn's half time walk, which was shot at 120fps, and authored on uhd in 60fps.  Movie purists, like myself want movies to be displayed on thier authored resolution and frame rate, which is what you're displaying at 2160/24p. 

If you only care about movies, like me, then 24p is fine, but if you wanted to see content in higher framerate (gaming, sports) then that's when 4k60 would be required. 

The optic cable might help, if your current cable doesn't let you display 60p, as I found this on the UK 500ES site that confirms it can do 60p but at 4:2:0 colour signal:

New 4K standard: 60 frames per second
The VPL-VW500ES can show up to 60 frames per second in 4K (at colour signal YUV 4:2:0). It’s the new 4K industry standard and is much higher than the earlier 24p. The result is a smoother image with superior colour and realism

Hope this helps, and welcome to club 4k :) if you want some titles to impress, I'd recommend Planet Earth 2, Hacksaw Ridge, Deadpool, The Martian, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, and for some not so great movies Lucy and Passengers. These 2 are worth getting just as demo material (they're not that bad hehe) 

Draka 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cigar nuke said:

4k/24p

what is 24p - is that frames per second?

should I get more? Is that where the newer HDMI cables will help? Will it make a difference if I get 50-60fps if possible? 

Pic looks great as is....

410ADCB9-43BE-4892-8B4B-35F25F12E44C.jpeg

4K 50/60 may only be limitations with streaming content and gaming :)

only billy lyn has 4k60 it’s worth watching only for eye Candy factor 

with the pana player you will need to switch it to 4k50/60 mode otherwise it stays 4k24 which is what most things are

4k50/60 will test cable ... if yours not upto will fall over ...

if I’d have an appletv it has a cable test facility as does xboxonex do know if upto things to support streaming and gaming, which if non concern wouldn’t worry with ...

On 22/06/2019 at 12:08 PM, Cigar nuke said:

4k/24p

what is 24p - is that frames per second?

should I get more? Is that where the newer HDMI cables will help? Will it make a difference if I get 50-60fps if possible? 

Pic looks great as is....

410ADCB9-43BE-4892-8B4B-35F25F12E44C.jpeg

You are still having an issue there.  Is HDMI2 on the projector set to enhanced mode as I said above? It is showing 4k SDR/BT.709 on the third line, not HDR/BT.2020, which means the Panasonic thinks the projector isn't HDR capable.

You might need to toggle outputs on the receiver to get it to handshake again. I get this on occasion on my 550 and have to toggle inputs on the projector and receiver to force it to handshake again.

On 18/06/2019 at 10:30 AM, Mobe1969 said:

If you aren't getting 4k out, I'd try the projector. I think the 500es only has HDCP2.2 on HDMI 2 - and you have to go to the menu and set HDMI2 to enhanced mode to enable HDCP 2.2. HDMI1 doesn't support HDCP 2.2. It is illogical. On the 550ES both ports support 2.2, but on factory settings, both are set to non Enhanced.

Function Menu -> HDMI Signal Format. Set to Enhanced

Here are my instructions from previously, the instructions to use HDMI2...

Edited by Mobe1969

• 2 months later...

3 hours ago, Cigar nuke said:

Actually it hasn’t worked. Can get 4K but I can’t get V-stretch to go with masking for letterbox.

looking at upgrading to the 570 which I am told will do V-stretch.

Are you using an A-lens with the 500ES?

Many blu ray and 4K players will V-stretch in the menu so you can do it at that end. The oppos all had it and I think the panasonic UB900, 820 and 9000 do also.  

2 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Are you using an A-lens with the 500ES?

Many blu ray and 4K players will V-stretch in the menu so you can do it at that end. The oppos all had it and I think the panasonic UB900, 820 and 9000 do also.  

No idea what an A-lens is.....

I am using a kino-torsion mkII Schneider lens....

its a 1.33x anamorphic lens (whatever that is)....

1 hour ago, Cigar nuke said:

No idea what an A-lens is.....

I am using a kino-torsion mkII Schneider lens....

its a 1.33x anamorphic lens (whatever that is)....

Sorry I meant anamorphic lens

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...