Sony Vpl-500Es First 4K Projector With Hdmi V2.0

Nick is offering DTV members a discount and a fairly attractive goodies package with each purchase including I hear a quantity of remastered 1080p playable as 4k Sony material is given with the purchase to play with...... Now who was saying there isn't any 4k like material available yet?

Nice freebie package ageless ; may pay to throw a hint as to any 4k downloads for aus - like the US :twitch:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sony-launches-4k-video-unlimited-download-service-with-70-titles/

Interesting comments in the above link re 4K file size and if sony are offering true 4K movies or something else?

Depends on the codecs. I think h 265 is more efficient at packing.

FWIW you can get 264 encoded 1080p movies down to about 8GB with a higher compression level but still decent quality.

Interesting comments in the above link re 4K file size and if sony are offering true 4K movies or something else?

The projectors come with a selection of 'Mastered in 4K' bluray movies. Unfortunately we wont have access to Sony's 4K library and server until they can work out the Australian distributorship rights etc. In the meantime, the closest we have is the 4K videos available on youtube.

The projectors come with a selection of 'Mastered in 4K' bluray movies. Unfortunately we wont have access to Sony's 4K library and server until they can work out the Australian distributorship rights etc. In the meantime, the closest we have is the 4K videos available on youtube.

Yeah fair enough. Way too early for me, these projectors will be dinosaurs by the time 4K is even remotely standard here. there will be better and cheaper 4K options in the future. But hey if people want be early adopters they'll pay big bucks for it.

That's how it is in every industry I guess.

I think I'll visit Audio Trends on the weekend as I am quite keen to check this unit out. It will certainly point to where projectors are heading although like oztheatre suggested the technology will date fairly quickly with the advent of true 4K Projectors (True 4K material availability permitting of course).

Personally I am more keen to see lamps replaced with a better LED implementation. In 3-4 years time when I'm in the market again I cannot imagine what will be around. Native 2:35.1 or switchable AS would be top of my list.

Cheers

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

It needs to be understood that pixels do not equal “resolution”.

For a start, any real world scene that is captured by a camera and digitised (sampled) can only ever have an effective resolution of about 75% of what the images pixel count would suggest best case. This is due to the requirement to low pass filter so that spatial frequencies above the sampling frequency are prevented from entering the capture system and create ugly aliasing, moiré

and interline flicker.

What this means is that a “4K” digital imaging system can only reasonably resolve about 3K with usefully high MTF, and 2K system is limited to about 1.5K effective resolution.

The next problem is that 35mm cinema film has such poor frequency response when exposed in Panavision's best cinema cameras that conversion to 2K digital is hardly a limitation. In fact, only a handful or cinema titles fully utilise the capability of 2K (1080 Bluray) and are restricted by it, most don’t even come close.

Film has been scanned to 4k digital intermediates for years so there should be plenty of 4k masters in Hollywood, however they are not and never will be anything like 4k resolution, even without any video compression. At best we will get about 2k visible resolution from this content and only with the very best titles.

A move to 4K plus digital cameras will potentially provide significantly sharper images than film due to higher MTF at medium spatial frequencies under 2K which are vital to visible sharpness and detail. Super high “resolution” adds little to a cinema image which is why Hollywood have typically never placed any importance on it.

Most of the advantages of 4K plus digital capture and the required lift in production standards will be clearly visible with conventional Bluray and 1080 projectors, 4K delivery will only be slightly better with most titles.

Absolute “resolution” will never be 4K with any 4K digital image format, thats not the way digital imaging systems work, and those who expect “4K” will somehow be visibly twice as good as Bluray and 1080 are in for serious disappointment.

Edited by Owen

How can I ignore someone's post? It's as if repeating the same thing ad nauseum somehow makes it more factual somehow.

FWIW I had a 720p projector (actually a 1366x1024 first gen Hughes JVC DLA-G1000) when watching SD DVDs and I thought the scalers made a difference. And I have also noticed improvements watching BDs on the Sony VPL1000ES.

How can I ignore someone's post? It's as if repeating the same thing ad nauseum somehow makes it more factual somehow.

FWIW I had a 720p projector (actually a 1366x1024 first gen Hughes JVC DLA-G1000) when watching SD DVDs and I thought the scalers made a difference. And I have also noticed improvements watching BDs on the Sony VPL1000ES.

If I were you mate I'd just ignore some posters and resolve to just enjoy your hobby as you best see fit. It's what I and a few others have decided to do and it makes for a far more harmonious forum and just a less stressful existence. I don't think human ocular physiology allows us to detect minute differences in "MTF" or "Spatial Frequences". At the end of the day..who cares. We watch movies for their entertainment value.

All the best

Blade

ok .. so i think some people just need to come back down to ground level .. i would hope that people that want to have a look into this exciting industry come and have a chat and enjoy the experiences that it delivers. I can tell you Sony have gone to a lot of effort to ensure the end user has a great experience with there new projectors , They have also gone to the effort of protecting there customers that have invested within them by producing upgrade paths for the 1000ES. This is not common practice , but it has allowed for there units to be currant even after new upgrades come available .

I have been involved in this industry for approximately 15 years and the current has been a really exciting time with the adaption of 4K . The benefit of Sony is that they have the ability to produce and supply content . They are involved from the Film recording all the way through to distribution . The Upscaling they have built in is based on 10 years of history at Sony Studios and they have done an amazing job of it .

For those that want to rant on about over technicalities and "replacement models " .. it would be interesting to see whats inside your house.. must be tuff survivng on not buying anything because of a new model coming ? I spoke to a member the other day who has just bought an Awesome new car .. i wonder how the argument would go explaining to him that he shouldn't purchase because there will be a new model next year.. i would like to be there for that.

These units are a sizeable investment there is no doubt about it . Heres what i can tell you about them ..

They look great .. Better than anything else even close to there price range

Content will not arrive tomorrow but it is in the pipelines and is being produced

the content available in the states is unfortunately not available here due to licencing

there have been upgrade paths built in - Great bonus

The glass lens components are of the highest quality

Should anyone want to any advice or understanding in english . Please don't hesitate to contact me

Thanks again guys have a great day

+1........

it is just a shame that some cannot learn from their forum peers and have to bleat their theories interrupting the general community.

Will also hopefully get down and have a look at some stage as well Nick.......

Hi All

I pretty much live here so chances of getting me are pretty good , If possible to make an apointment please do so , that way i can ensure to be available .

hope to see you soon

I don't think human ocular physiology allows us to detect minute differences in "MTF" or "Spatial Frequences". At the end of the day..who cares. We watch movies for their entertainment value.

MTF and spatial frequency response are THE aspects of performance 4K is designed to improve. If you or others are not interested in such things, or recon you cant see the difference why bother with 4K?

If "entertainment value" is all that matters DVD should fill your needs just fine.

How many people know or understand that the "4K" titles offered by Sony have 4K pixels NOT 4K resolution or even close. That to me seems like a serious omission from the advertising hype as people will not get what they are expecting.

As its turns out Sony's "4K" content is not available in Oz. Surely one of the most important questions any prospective 4K projectors owner would want answered is when will it be.

maybe I'm completely off, but I thought blurays were about 4gb? I thought 30-40gb would kill lots of people (like 709er) who use mobile broadband as it would be a new release when you started downloading and the sequel would probably be out before it finished lol

Aze

maybe I'm completely off, but I thought blurays were about 4gb? I thought 30-40gb would kill lots of people (like 709er) who use mobile broadband as it would be a new release when you started downloading and the sequel would probably be out before it finished lol

Aze

You're completely off :)

A standard Single-Layer BD Disk starts @ 25Gig capacity...

BD Wiki

Not sure how that relates to downloading though? Even those with large download limits (500Gig a month) wouldn't bother with 1:1 BD rips (Which are still rare mind you given they still have to be uploaded).

Most of us (At least the people I know well on DTV Forum) buy BD movies on disk as they are collectors/movie aficionados. 709'er falls into both categories I believe (If I may Ruth) and buys her disks legitimately...

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

Hey Blade,

Sorry if I've confused issues here, I was thinking of the kaleidescape demo and their mention of 30gb uncompressed downloads. I mentioned the same thing re buying a disc to Ruth on the night as the rep kept mentioning buying "plastic discs" whereas we both agreed we like to get an actual item when paying money for a movie rather than just downloading a movie to store on a hard drive. I certainly wasn't trying to suggest Ruth or anyone else here would be interested in downloading or purchasing pirate movies. My own little collection is something I enjoy and take pride in :)

Aze

Hey Blade,

Sorry if I've confused issues here, I was thinking of the kaleidescape demo and their mention of 30gb uncompressed downloads. I mentioned the same thing re buying a disc to Ruth on the night as the rep kept mentioning buying "plastic discs" whereas we both agreed we like to get an actual item when paying money for a movie rather than just downloading a movie to store on a hard drive. I certainly wasn't trying to suggest Ruth or anyone else here would be interested in downloading or purchasing pirate movies. My own little collection is something I enjoy and take pride in :)

Aze

All good.

Blade

You're completely off :)

A standard Single-Layer BD Disk starts @ 25Gig capacity...

BD Wiki

Not sure how that relates to downloading though? Even those with large download limits (500Gig a month) wouldn't bother with 1:1 BD rips (Which are still rare mind you given they still have to be uploaded).

Most of us (At least the people I know well on DTV Forum) buy BD movies on disk as they are collectors/movie aficionados. 709'er falls into both categories I believe (If I may Ruth) and buys her disks legitimately...

Blade

1:1 rips arn't rare anymore every single movie that has been released on bluray has been ripped and uploaded in the last couple of years. I too like to have the proper cover art and case though :D

• 1 month later...

Pretty quiet here lately. I see pricejapan have the vw500 for US $6600. Be good if the AUD was a bit better. Still not too bad. What does it go for here in Australia?

Top photo is the JVC RS57 and bottom is the VW500 (1080p source default scaling and sharpening for both)

As someone used to DLP and using the projector on an HTPC im liking the look of the VW500.

2014-shootout-9.jpg

2014-shootout-10.jpg

Edited by gbickle

• 5 years later...

I’m sorry for the necropost but I have this projector and a Panasonic 4K DMP-UB900 ultraHD player. I can only get 1080 out of the projector, even if I “force” the paint to send to output 4K. My dealer tells me I need to buy a new projector - the 550 or 570es because the 500es doesn’t support 4K.!!! Even though I stipulated the importance of 4K when I bought it. Does this sound correct? HDMI cable run is about 7metres....

25 minutes ago, Cigar nuke said:

I’m sorry for the necropost but I have this projector and a Panasonic 4K DMP-UB900 ultraHD player. I can only get 1080 out of the projector, even if I “force” the paint to send to output 4K. My dealer tells me I need to buy a new projector - the 550 or 570es because the 500es doesn’t support 4K.!!! Even though I stipulated the importance of 4K when I bought it. Does this sound correct? HDMI cable run is about 7metres....

doesn't make sense...

as much as 500es is perhaps a little lacking in some ways ... compared to say 570es... I woudl suggest you should be able to achieve 4k off the ub900

what is the cable ? 

did you ever achieve 4k off it ? or is this a first effort and wondering what to do :) 

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

doesn't make sense...

as much as 500es is perhaps a little lacking in some ways ... compared to say 570es... I woudl suggest you should be able to achieve 4k off the ub900

what is the cable ? 

did you ever achieve 4k off it ? or is this a first effort and wondering what to do :) 

Cable is transparent hdmi with Ethernet. 5 years old. It is about a 7m run from cinema to av room. Have never achieved 4K but wasn’t fussed previously (as I did not know, nor did I understand it). Only recently noticed my 4K movies are playing in 1080 thanks to someone else. Tried to force my panny to push 4.4.4. but still only says 1080 playback. Little pissed my dealer sold me $150,000 of cinema gear under the pretence of 4K and never delivered. Feel like they should have followed thru. Now they just want me to buy a new projector to “ fix it”....for $16k....