Sony Vpl-500Es First 4K Projector With Hdmi V2.0

Glad to see everybody is getting excited ( in one way or another ) at the new Sony 4k . I have installed it into our showroom and i can tell you it is looking Sensational .I had a chance to sit down with the engineer behind this model and there is alot of smart decisions and hard work gone into the production of this new 500ES.

I hope to see some of you at our presentation night this Friday .

Hi Nick,

What time are you starting the presentation this Friday evening?

Thanks,

Andrew...

Starting time is listed for 6PM but they generally wait a while for the stragglers to arrive so 6-30ish should see you set Andrew OK? other viewing times may be made by arrangement with Nick at AT directly

Edited by agelessgoodguy

Hi There

sorry for the late reply , yes Ross your absolutely right 6pm would hope to have most here and good to go. We have Mike from Sony here to give us a presentation and answer some questions. Look forward to seeing those i know again and meeting those i haven't.

Hi There . Registration was just so we could get an idea of numbers for food and drinks and such. your welcome to come along.

The night is based on these product and there for we will not have anything else turned on im affraid .

Hope to see you here

Cheers

What a projector. 4K content is unbelievable.

What 4k content? For 2K video, which is all we have, there are better projector options IMHO.

By the time there is enough 4k content to make a 4k projector useful this Sony will be long forgotten and probably two generations old.

Thanks guys for a great time with amazing projectors and fantastic facilities. The viewing lounges really showed off what these projectors can do.

I rate the new Sony's as the best, most film like home projectors I've ever seen. Also had a chance to play with the new kaleidescape movie server/player.

Thanks to the nice bunch of blokes who put on the evening (including ageless) and the chance to meet some of the Vic based forum members. Well worth the trip.

Thanks to Nick and his staff at Audio Trends for hosting a great evening of Sony HD delights, to Michael for representing Sony so well and to Gerben for demonstrating the kaleidescape unit.

Oblivion was mind-blowing on the 1100.

Also great to meet some more DTV members :)

Hi Spero, the 500 was $13,999 SRP and the 1100 was $26K from memory (The prices were put up during the 500 brief and I was too distracted by the image...).

Unfortunately the 500 and 1000 were shown in different theatrettes with different screen sizes, screen material, source, movie and lastly A-Lenses, so could not do a direct A-B comparison. Having said that, both put up an excellent image that yo9u would be very hard pressed to fault. There was no screen door on either image and only then micro-perfs could be seen up close (AT screens were used). I would say though that the 500 had more punch to the image, but this could be down to the images being shown. The official specs for the projectors show that the 1000/1100 has more contrast, but in practice this was not obvious. Both projected images that were completely film like and better (in this setup) than what I have previously seen at commercial cinemas. Others may have more comments.

Forgot to mention - I also spent a bit of time listening to both projectors (weird, I know). The 500 is louder than the 1000/1100, but not to the point where it was an issue. The 500 fan does ramp up and down, when on high, I could hear it when sitting directly under it, but it wasn't distracting at all during the demo. The tone and loudness is not distracting. It is akin to a very quiet/gentle air-conditioner if anything.

When sitting a little away from the projector, I didn't notice it.

Compared to a JVC X75 that I have listened to in similar fashion, the 500 is quieter and the tone better.

Lastly, the 500 has air intake and outlet at the front, so it can be placed up against a rear wall or enclosed in a hush box (if needed). The 1000/1100 can't as it has outlets at the rear.

Edited by Johnnyboy

Johnnyboy has nailed it - too many variables at play to be able to make an appropriate comparison between the two units. In their set ups I felt the 1000es was clearly superior but not enough to warrant its nearly double price.

Sorry guys for not getting there after all, I didn't get a plane out of Townsville till Saturday morning in the finish so I'm pleased you got what you came to see, all of you.Thanks for the comments too its nice to know these and share them. Glad the members found each other too :) Owen I had your questions on contrast written down to ask but alas I was too far away then but instead I'll take them along when I do get the chance OK?

Edited by agelessgoodguy

Thanks guys for answering the Questions. VPL-VW500 at $14k.

Does anyone know why these street at or what discount you can get on a Sony projector if any? Haven't bought a Sony projector since the VPL-400Q a long time ago :)

Hi There

i am happy to look after any forum members that wish to purchase this or any unit from our store . Feel free to contact me through the week and we can tee up a time for demo or discus pricing . Besides any " Cash Discount " i will be including a professional calibration on the 4K projectors to ensure the end user gets the best possible result .

thanks again

Sorry guys for not getting there after all, I didn't get a plane out of Townsville till Saturday morning in the finish so I'm pleased you got what you came to see, all of you.Thanks for the comments too its nice to know these and share them. Glad the members found each other too :) Owen I had your questions on contrast written down to ask but alas I was too far away then but instead I'll take them along when I do get the chance OK?

Hi Ross

Yes was a shame you couldn't make it, You will have to let me know when you have a moment to swing through . Would be happy to show it off.

Nick is offering DTV members a discount and a fairly attractive goodies package with each purchase including I hear a quantity of remastered 1080p playable as 4k Sony material is given with the purchase to play with...... Now who was saying there isn't any 4k like material available yet?

Edited by agelessgoodguy