Seaton Sound Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

BladeRnR

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thor power center as that keeps the power constant at 240v and i want that for the Anthem,Oppo, ASEQ and one Sub.

Fyi, and I didn't know this until checked, as of 2000 the Australian standards are 230v nominal with a +10% to -6% (253v-216v) variation. All electrical equipment available to us are designed to work within that range, and many are designed to operate well outside that range.

Cheers

Fyi, and I didn't know this until checked, as of 2000 the Australian standards are 230v nominal with a +10% to -6% (253v-216v) variation. All electrical equipment available to us are designed to work within that range, and many are designed to operate well outside that range.

Cheers

Thanks for that Macca. At night I see on the display on the Thor go as high as 255v input but by design it provides 240v to anything connected. Just peace of mind I guess. Good to know the equipment is designed to handle that current.

At the moment it's sitting on top of the Thor Power Centre and it has rubber feet. I actually took it off there and put in on the floor (under the rack) to see if that was the problem but it changed nothing.

I believe Arthur was referring to the ASEQ

Cheers

Thanks Macca, yes I was referring to the ASEQ. At the end of the day the Anthem might be grounded but the ASEQ would be flapping in the wind with ground.

• 2 weeks later...

One problem fixed and another begins. I'm certain now it's the Submersive amp and the new issue is I'm getting buzzing only in the front right speaker. While the system was on I pulled out the power for the front sub from the power centre and when pulling out I heard a buzz sound and the problem went away. This is the 3rd time in a week this issue has come up and the only way to stop the buzzing is the touch the prongs on the power cord on something metal like a speaker banana plug while connected to the speaker but pulling out the power plug slowly fixed it as well. Everything is pointing to the sub amp and the fact that the plug is still carrying power even after been turned off on the sub end.

I'm going to contact Mark and explain the problem as I've replaced and ruled out equipment and cables. For some reason the sub amp is not grounding which is what is causing the issue IMO.

Good idea I will do that and see if the issue returns. I've sent Mark an e-mail anyway and explained everything that's been happening and the fixes I've tried so hopefully he forwards the e-mail or talks to his amp designer and they can come up with a solution. He did mention last we spoke that the amp designer has since added something that absorbs the charge from the capacitors so people like me don't get zapped after pulling out the cord from the wall (not normal) and I've never had that happen with all the subs I've owned prior to the submersives.

I personally want both my amps replaced as that's the only thing left after eliminating everything else in my HT. I don't want to spend anymore money on the problem.

Edited by SimonNo10

Chops I did as you suggested and disconnected the front sub completely from the system. It's been 3 days and I turned on the power amp this morning and the buzzing has returned in the front right speaker. So I pulled out the rear sub power cord from the wall outlet and while the power amp was on (nothing else is on just the amp so I can hear the buzz) I touched one of the top prongs (not the middle one) to the banana plug on the rear surround speaker (can only reach that speaker) and the buzzing stopped straight away from the Front Speaker. I have sent Mark an e-mail explaining what is happening and what works to eliminate the buzzing, but personally everything is pointing to my HP+ sub amps now as being the issue.

I tried using the ground lug on the back of the Anthem to the ground lug on the isolation device I purchased but it changed nothing. I hadn't tried that before so wanted to test it. Hopefully Mark can sort something out and he has offered to replace the amps (last e-mail I only mentioned it being the front sub possibly being the problem) but I've ruled that out now. I'm at the end of my testing and don't want to risk any damage to my speakers or power amp with the method mentioned to remove the buzzing.

Edited by SimonNo10

Hi Simon,

My intention was to try running your system without any SubM's connected or plugged into the mains ... from what you describe it may still be the Power Amp that is causing the issue.

I would also stop doing what you are doing with either of the top prongs on the power plug ... what you are (in effect) doing is discharging the capacitors in the HPi directly into your speaker by "touching" it to the banana plug ... speakers are not intended to receive direct current like that.

If you want to discharge it you should only be discharging it to earth as any other route could have unpredictable results.

It does seem like the caps in the HPis are somehow causing feedback, but you wont know for sure until you have run the system with them completely out of the loop.

From Marks descriptions of the mods to the HPi stopping the capacitor discharge via the power cable, replacements should fix the problem (if that is actually what it is).

..... thinking about this I am wondering if the earth prong on a SubM/Hpi is actually connected.

Ok I will run the system without the subs and see what happens. I had the power amp serviced about 3 months ago and it checked out. All that was done was the inputs were reseated and tested but he said there was nothing wrong with the amp.

Edited by SimonNo10

So you've heard from Mark recently then Simon?

Yes about 3 days ago via e-mail why have you been trying to contact him? His been busy at shows etc but his looking into my issue and will talk to the amp designer and see it's the sub amps that could be causing my problem. I'm waiting for him to get back to me but in the mean time I've disconnected both subs now and will use the system without them and see if the issue presents itself.

Edited by SimonNo10

Yes about 3 days ago via e-mail why have you been trying to contact him? His been busy at shows etc but his looking into my issue and will talk to the amp designer and see it's the sub amps that could be causing my problem. I'm waiting for him to get back to me but in the mean time I've disconnected both subs now and will use the system without them and see if the issue presents itself.

yes, a couple of emails (21/6 and 17/6), still waiting a reply. Figured he was tied up with stuff, but as always you just wonder with Mark :rolleyes:

One of my F2s has cracked all the way down the left hand front corner. Mark said he would send a replacement with my 8Cs, so no problems there, I was just looking for an update.

Your 8c have still not left the building?

WTF?

One of your F2's has cracked all the way down the side?

WTF?

I had better have a good look at mine then :pinch:

Your 8c have still not left the building?

WTF?

One of your F2's has cracked all the way down the side?

WTF?

I had better have a good look at mine then :pinch:

The split is just one of those things I suppose, the material/CNC cut was obviously not quite as it was meant to be and it has broken. (Got some pics somewhere I'll post later)

The 8Cs I told Mark I wasn't in a rush for (before I'd noticed the sub) as I was still interested in what developments he has up his sleave (sparks/10s)

When I told him about the F2 he said he had some more Black Oak going through and he'd send it with the 8Cs.

Just been about 2 months since we spoke and was wondering how things were going.