Advice On A New 50"-55" Led Lcd 100Hrtz Tv

Suggest some research starting here speedy http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

All proper hi speed cables for newer hdmi1.3/4 devices will have the same 10.2 gbps throughput - if there compliant with the spec :pirate: Good read here -

http://www.mediacollege.com/hardware/connectivity/hdmi/premium-cable.html

Many here utilize ezyhd http://www.ezyhd-cables.com.au/ ; selby are another mentioned frequently . Bear in mind that hdmi2.0 is around the corner so chances are the throughput will go up again so make sure you don't overspend in case you like the sound of 4k60p :question:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any advice? (confusing)

It IS confusing. I've never noticed any difference between short (3m and less) cable lengths for 1080p and 3D. You start getting into that 70's and 80's BS surrounding oxygen free speaker cables. Makes no difference except at a sub-atomic level. Anyway I've had recent experience in the cheap low end HDMI market. The 2M cable from Shopping Square (and their ebay shop) may be OK or may be not? I purchased 3 of the ones with the green HDMI sticker on the plugs. 2 of the 3 were intermittent in the plugs. They sent me two more, and one of those was intermittent. I then researched a similar one on ebay with the HDMI sticker in blue. Supposedly it was claimed to be better than the same cable with the green stickers, so I Bought 2 of those and they seem OK. As suggested by "cwt", I also have an ezyhd 5M cable which works fine, but they aren't cheap. My advice... don't buy the "$3.68" cables (as I did), as you may have issues. But don't waste your money either. Stick around $10 for a 1.5M cable and you should be fine. Edited by STB

Is it worth paying the extra for a 24AWG cable over a 28AWG or 30AWG ?

See: http://www.ebay.com....=item3f2765f0af

I was also looking at this one: http://www.ebay.com....#ht_4894wt_1161

and

This one (two x 2M cables package): http://www.ebay.com....=item5d3ebd8db9

Any of those will do. The braided cable is nice, but not necessary. Having said that I bought a 5M braided one from ezyhd 3 years ago. I mentioned above the cables with the blue sticker (rather than the green). These work fine for me, and are reasonably priced. These are the ones I'd buy again.

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1755wt_1161

Edited by STB

Hi STB

Your right mate - I find it especially when using the K400r scroll pad, its especially sensitive to line of sight from keyboard to dongle behind the metal back. I tried scrolling on pad and as I walked to the side of the TV (in line of sight) whilst scrolling pad it very noticeably improved. Will go down to Jaycar shop and pick up a short usb cable. Good tip STB

Actually sent an email from the "Smart TV" today - worked fine

Decided to order this right angle USB 2 extension cable to get the dongle in line of sight. 40cm is the perfect length to just get the end of the dongle to pass the bottom of screen. Trouble is won't get it till mid Sept from China

See: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Right-left-angle-USB-Male-To-Female-extension-cable-X2-/350856697016?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item51b0b054b8

Edited by speedy

Any of those will do. The braided cable is nice, but not necessary. Having said that I bought a 5M braided one from ezyhd 3 years ago. I mentioned above the cables with the blue sticker (rather than the green). These work fine for me, and are reasonably priced. These are the ones I'd buy again.

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1755wt_1161

Will get your advised cable (28AWG) (top value for the quality): http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1755wt_1161

plus

the following (24AWG) ultra premium cable: http://www.ebay.com....=item41753ec27b

I understand the lower the AWG the better the quality and thicker the cable

Edited by speedy

But I'll agree to disagree regarding the sharpness. I hate the soft (blurry if you like) picture running the sharpness at a low (or 0) setting gives. I like the crisp (sharp) image a high sharpness gives me.

If you add sharpness you are altering the picture... the "soft" picture you see with a 0 setting is correct. Look closely as you increase the sharpness and you will see the artefacts that Owen refers to.

In particular you really do not want any added sharpening with Bluray viewing.

JSmith :ninja:

Will get your advised cable (28AWG) (top value for the quality): http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1755wt_1161

plus

the following (24AWG) ultra premium cable: http://www.ebay.com....=item41753ec27b

You only require the thicker cables for long runs over 5m +.

Any "high speed" cable off eBay will be fine...

Quality (i.e. final picture shown on TV) will be identical for both those cables. Not sure why you'd want a thicker HDMI cable, generally that just means slightly harder to bend in tight spaces.

Both cables are under $20 so they're good value anyway, its just that both will provide the same result for a different cost.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

If you add sharpness you are altering the picture... the "soft" picture you see with a 0 setting is correct. Look closely as you increase the sharpness and you will see the artefacts that Owen refers to.

Most of my viewing is FTA and torrented 720p recordings. (suprisingly good quality). I'll stick with 80 sharpness, but will wind it back if my eyes object on Blu-ray.

Quality (i.e. final picture shown on TV) will be identical for both those cables. Not sure why you'd want a thicker HDMI cable, generally that just means slightly harder to bend in tight spaces.

Both cables are under $20 so they're good value anyway, its just that both will provide the same result for a different cost.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I've got a fairly good quality braided cable from ezyHD. Nice cable, but can't tell any difference fron the $6 one. Good flexibility is a wothwhile consideration.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Whoops didn't think of the " slightly harder to bend in tight spaces" but its braided so may bend OK. I have already ordered the AWG24 cable but really won't miss the the extra few dollars. Just wanted to experiment..

Next stage...

Thinking of upgrading my old Panasonic DVD player to a Blue Ray 3D player now.....

Am looking at a Samsung BD-F6500 as follows and on special at the moment at Hardly Normal, Good Guys and Dick Smith - all for $149

See: http://www.samsung.c...500/XY-features

Don't need any PVR version combination as already have two PVR's - a 500GB Topfield and an Optus 1TB

Any suggestions on a very good Blue Ray 3D player?

Heard of something called 4K upscale (feature) but not sure what that means? Is that the new LED TV coming out for squillion$$$

Edit: Hey, this is interesting. Even though Samsung Aust has not got the Samsung Blue Ray 3D (Model BD-F7500 - a UK Model) listed

(See: http://www.samsung.c...l?sortby=newest )

yet BING LEE has actually got it for sale for $245 believe it or not

(See: http://www.binglee.c...-blu-ray-player

This seems a better unit with extra features like: 2 x HDMI / 4K upscale ? / analogue audio outputs - better rear panel / better looking / more solid build / possible better LED display

(not sure if worth the extra $96 over the F6500?)

Edited by speedy

Next stage...

Thinking of upgrading my old Pioneer DVD player to a Blue Ray 3D player now.....

Am looking at a Samsung BD-F6500 as follows and on special at the moment at Hardly Normal, Good Guys and Dick Smith - all for $149

See: http://www.samsung.c...500/XY-features

I can recommend the F6500. I've got it. Matches the 7100 really well and is also dual core. It's not as responsive in the app and web browsing area compared to the TV, so probably a slower clock speed processor than on the 7100, or less RAM? But still good, and has the same menu system, interface design, although you don't really need the smart features on both. This Blu-ray is much better than the BD-5900 which is the 2012 model. Much more responsive. I've also got the BD-5900. What I mainly use the F6500 for is to play files (TV series etc) of a USB connected HDD, because the front display shows the elapsed time. Connecting the HDD to the TV would mean having to hit Info to see the elapsed time. Oh, and I occasionally watch a DVD or Blu-ray. Good player. Edited by STB

I can recommend the F6500. I've got it. Matches the 7100 really well and is also dual core. It's not as responsive in the app and web browsing area compared to the TV, so probably a slower clock speed processor than on the 7100, or less RAM? But still good, and has the same menu system, interface design, although you don't really need the smart features on both. This Blu-ray is much better than the BD-5900 which is the 2012 model. Much more responsive. I've also got the BD-5900. What I mainly use the F6500 for is to play files (TV series etc) of a USB connected HDD, because the front display shows the elapsed time. Connecting the HDD to the TV would mean having to hit Info to see the elapsed time. Oh, and I occasionally watch a DVD or Blu-ray. Good player.

Thats good to know you got one!

Read somewhere someone was saying that the F6500 makes a bit of noise when DVD spins - is that so? I mean my existing Panasonic DVD makes a whirring noise when you get up close (about 2 feet close) but away from that you can't hear it. But that sounds normal?

Edited by speedy

Read somewhere someone was saying that the F6500 makes a bit of noise when DVD spins - is that so? I mean my existing Panasonic DVD makes a whirring noise when you get up close (about 2 feet close) but away from that you can't hear it. But that sounds normal?

Funny, I haven't noticed. Hardly played any DVD/Blu-ray's in it. Will have to have a close listen. Slightly warped discs will cause a noise when they spin in any player. So could have been that? Edited by STB

Heard of something called 4K upscale (feature) but not sure what that means? Is that the new LED TV coming out for squillion$$$

You won't require the 4K upscale function unless you plan on getting a 4K screen...

Actually, the better the source the more it can be sharpened without detrimental side effects, its quite beneficial for big screen Bluray viewing if done well.

The problem is, the sharpening systems in TV's are invariably ordinary, any more than a small amount results in distortion and artifacts.

Sharpening free to air TV or other low quality source any more then a small amount inevitably results in an ugly picture, especially when the TV networks have applied dreadful edge enhancement to the broadcast image, as is often the case.

Many DVD's are also edge enhanced so people may think thats the way things are supposed to look. If you sit far enough back from the screen, as many people do, its not obvious what going on. However, sit at a distance suitable for resolving 1080 and the distortion should be obvious and ugly.

Edited by Owen

Whoops didn't think of the " slightly harder to bend in tight spaces" but its braided so may bend OK. I have already ordered the AWG24 cable but really won't miss the the extra few dollars. Just wanted to experiment..

Got the AWG24 top quality HDMI cable and yes, it's about 40% wider, harder to bend in the tight space (recession) and also heavier, weighing the HDMI male socket down . But looks very professional and works OK behind the screen

• 3 weeks later...

Hi STB

Your right mate - I find it especially when using the K400r scroll pad, its especially sensitive to line of sight from keyboard to dongle behind the metal back. I tried scrolling on pad and as I walked to the side of the TV (in line of sight) whilst scrolling pad it very noticeably improved. Will go down to Jaycar shop and pick up a short usb cable. Good tip STB

Actually sent an email from the "Smart TV" today - worked fine

Decided to order this right angle USB 2 extension cable to get the dongle in line of sight. 40cm is the perfect length to just get the end of the dongle to pass the bottom of screen. Trouble is won't get it till mid Sept from China

See: http://www.ebay.com....=item51b0b054b8

Just an update: The above right angle USB 2 extension cable arrived from China the other day and I connected the K400r wireless keyboard dongle to the end of this USB extension so it sits about 2 inches below the screen (instead of behind the screen) in line of sight hanging down when plugged into the Sammy 7100 TV USB port. I taped it to the aerial cable so it looks more professional. Now the wireless keyboard works great - no hesitation when finger scrolling the keypad. Can even work the keyboard from my dinning table further away than my coffee table. It has 3 USB ports.

As was muted on here by others more experienced than me, the initial scare of viewing free to air TV on a 55" TV has almost totally worn off. Quite correct, your eyes and brain adjust to the larger screen and the greater movement of pictures on the screen. Before I was using "Smartview 2" which condenses the pixels to a 40" screen to aclimatise so to speak. Now I find I hardly use the 40" option on the 55" Sammy 7100. It's great when walking past the 55" and further away when on my PC - can still clearly see a clear detailed picture. I said before that I could not access "Smartview 1" on my 7100 unit. My son came home from overseas and somehow made it work - it shrinks the screen to only 28". But "Smartview 1" only seems to work on certain FTA channels ?? (See no real use for it though)

I find myself (and especially my son) are watching a fair amount of youtube now on this Smart TV (as its accesses your PC modem wirelessly). Once again using the wireless K400r keyboard makes internet access via the TV easy.

My son also found out that you can turn off that annoying clicking noise you get when turning the volume up or down - a nice novelty when new, but annoying after a while.

Well since I've had the Sammy 7100 now for some weeks since just past the start of this thread, I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone. It is simply a great, top quality, LCD LED. I have had no issues with it so far and don't expect to.

Edited by speedy

Just an update: The above right angle USB 2 extension cable arrived from China the other day and I connected the K400r wireless keyboard dongle to the end of this USB extension so it sits about 2 inches below the screen (instead of behind the screen) in line of sight hanging down when plugged into the Sammy 7100 TV USB port. I taped it to the aerial cable so it looks more professional. Now the wireless keyboard works great - no hesitation when finger scrolling the keypad. Can even work the keyboard from my dinning table further away than my coffee table. It has 3 USB ports.

As was muted on here by others more experienced than me, the initial scare of viewing free to air TV on a 55" TV has almost totally worn off. Quite correct, your eyes and brain adjust to the larger screen and the greater movement of pictures on the screen. Before I was using "Smartview 2" which condenses the pixels to a 40" screen to aclimatise so to speak. Now I find I hardly use the 40" option on the 55" Sammy 7100. It's great when walking past the 55" and further away when on my PC - can still clearly see a clear detailed picture. I said before that I could not access "Smartview 1" on my 7100 unit. My son came home from overseas and somehow made it work - it shrinks the screen to only 28". But "Smartview 1" only seems to work on certain FTA channels ?? (See no real use for it though)

I find myself (and especially my son) are watching a fair amount of youtube now on this Smart TV (as its accesses your PC modem wirelessly). Once again using the wireless K400r keyboard makes internet access via the TV easy.

My son also found out that you can turn off that annoying clicking noise you get when turning the volume up or down - a nice novelty when new, but annoying after a while.

Well since I've had the Sammy 7100 now for some weeks since just past the start of this thread, I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone. It is simply a great, top quality, LCD LED. I have had no issues with it so far and don't expect to.

Glad its worked out for you speedy - whilst a 55" set is not really big enough for hd movies, IMO its a nice compromise between getting some big screen effect with movies (providing you sit close enough to the panel) whilst retaining a reasonable picture clarity with FTA standard definition broadcasts, which the 7100 and 8000 are able to achieve.

As was muted on here by others more experienced than me, the initial scare of viewing free to air TV on a 55" TV has almost totally worn off.

Time to upgrade to the 70". :D