Sign in to follow this  
speedy

Advice On A New 50"-55" Led Lcd 100Hrtz Tv

If you sit a long way from the screen relative to it's size you likely wont notice the problems sharpening creates.

I'm pretty sensitive to those defects and cant tolerate them. I cant run a sharpness setting of more than 30 on my 7 series Samsung LCD, even at a viewing distance of 4.5 metres.

My 70" TV viewed from 3 metres is running 20%.

OK, I'm willing to experiment. I've already reduced the sharpness from 95 to 80 since your earlier post. I'm still happy with the image, but admittedly haven't experimented close-up. I generally sit 4-6 metres away. So perhaps that's disguising the issues you mention. I'm in front of a 55" 7100.

At 4 metres plus a 55" is tiny, no wonder you dont see the problems. At 6 metres you would be flat out resolving SD resolution on a 55".

To fully resolve 1080 at 4 metres you would need a 100" screen, and at 6 metres a 150".

Use too much sharpening at those sizes and you will see the problems. :D

Edited by Owen

At 4 metres plus a 55" is tiny,

Not when comparing it to a 40". Now that looks tiny no matter how close you sit.

Just getting back on the Sammy 55" F7100

and for at least half a day I thought I had made a very bad mistake because I forgot that even though one thinks about the cinematic effect of a large screen on blue ray or DVD, I forgot that most of the viewing we do on a Tele Set is watching free to air TV. The first gut churn regret comes from watching my first experience of free to air blown up on the 55" screen, which at first appears somewhat burred or stretched way too much. Next it starts to give one a headache trying to get used to trying to make your eyes try to encompass such a large screen and with any movement on the screen appearing too much movement. I was spitting chips that I had not simply been more conservative and just bought a 46" LCD LED or at the most a 50". I even apologised to my wife for not getting a smaller set as she had wanted. Well, I've had the set now for 4 days and as someone said, your brain slowly adapts to the new large size. My friend who also got a big 50" screen told me not to worry about it as it took him one month to get used to it.

So late the first night while I was in regret about the 55" purchase I was going through the menu trying to make the picture sharper for free to air. Not much luck - so at the end of the evening after accepting in my mind I had bought it, could not exchange it and to make the best of it, I came across a button on the remote called "Tools" and in there found a setting called "picture size" and being able to change pic size from 16:9 to "Smart View 2" which when I changed to it, basically changed the size of the screen view from 55" down to 40", but to my surprise it actually condensed the broadcast pixels as well giving a sharper clearer picture (just as if I had purchased a 40" LCD LED) From that point on with this option I was stoked with the Sammy! For any quality high definition broadcast I could watch it on 55" and for any low definition fuzzy broadcast I could switch to "Smart View 2" for a good quality pic. I slept well that night!

After 4 days watching the set I am slowly getting used to the larger picture, but still needing the "Smart View 2" setting (its a great option)

I watched my first DVD (Oblivion - Tom Cruise Sci Fi) and was very happy with the sharpness of the picture on 55" setting. Even though my DVD Pioneer is not blue ray and has no HDMI connection (only using composite connectors at present). I noted however that on 55" the DVD pic looks a little more like its filmed with a digital camera than cinema film (if you get my meaning) - can't explain it really. But I am getting used to that too. Perhaps a blue ray player on HDMI cable might help that. I found that I can't use the "Smart View 2" setting when playing a DVD only on TV it appears (but I haven't experimented enough on that).. I am thinking that it might simply be more getting used to larger moving objects on the larger screen?? Also I noticed that "Smart View 1" was not available on my F7100. I assume it is only available on the F8000 - don't know what size option that brings up? This "Smart View 2" is a must have option on a large set, if you can't get something similar on a 55" or larger LCD LED, I would personally not buy it. (but keep in mind I am not totally used to the 55" screen at present)

More to come when I have time....

Edited by speedy

and for at least half a day I thought I had made a very bad mistake because I forgot that even though one thinks about the cinematic effect of a large screen on blue ray or DVD, I forgot that most of the viewing we do on a Tele Set is watching free to air TV. The first gut churn regret comes from watching my first experience of free to air blown up on the 55" screen, which at first appears somewhat burred or stretched way too much. Next it starts to give one a headache trying to get used to trying to make your eyes try to encompass such a large screen and with any movement on the screen appearing too much movement. I was spitting chips that I had not simply been more conservative and just bought a 46" LCD LED or at the most a 50". I even apologised to my wife for not getting a smaller set as she had wanted. Well, I've had the set now for 4 days and as someone said, your brain slowly adapts to the new large size. My friend who also got a big 50" screen told me not to worry about it as it took him one month to get used to it.

So late the first night while I was in regret about the 55" purchase I was going through the menu trying to make the picture sharper for free to air. Not much luck - so at the end of the evening after accepting in my mind I had bought it, could not exchange it and to make the best of it, I came across a button on the remote called "Tools" and in there found a setting called "picture size" and being able to change pic size from 16:9 to "Smart View 2" which when I changed to it, basically changed the size of the screen view from 55" down to 40", but to my surprise it actually condensed the broadcast pixels as well giving a sharper clearer picture (just as if I had purchased a 40" LCD LED) From that point on with this option I was stoked with the Sammy! For any quality high definition broadcast I could watch it on 55" and for any low definition fuzzy broadcast I could switch to "Smart View 2" for a good quality pic. I slept well that night!

After 4 days watching the set I am slowly getting used to the larger picture, but still needing the "Smart View 2" setting (its a great option)

I watched my first DVD (Oblivion - Tom Cruise Sci Fi) and was very happy with the sharpness of the picture on 55" setting. Even though my DVD Pioneer is not blue ray and has no HDMI connection (only using composite connectors at present). I noted however that on 55" the DVD pic looks a little more like its filmed with a digital camera than cinema film (if you get my meaning) - can't explain it really. But I am getting used to that too. Perhaps a blue ray player on HDMI cable might help that. I found that I can't use the "Smart View 2" setting when playing a DVD only on TV it appears (but I haven't experimented enough on that).. I am thinking that it might simply be more getting used to larger moving objects on the larger screen?? Also I noticed that "Smart View 1" was not available on my F7100. I assume it is only available on the F8000 - don't know what size option that brings up? This "Smart View 2" is a must have option on a large set, if you can't get something similar on a 55" or larger LCD LED, I would personally not buy it. (but keep in mind I am not totally used to the 55" screen at present)

More to come when I have time....

Whenever I buy a new TV set (about every 2 years), no matter how high end it is, I am always disappointed for about the first two weeks. I'm sure its because it takes a while for the different appearance to 'to be processed in the back part of your brain'. You will find over time, the 7100 will start to look a lot better. I suspect TVs are also a bit like motor vehicles - they need to be run in a bit. Honestly, I would give the smart view setting a miss; by reducing the screen size, its taking away the advantage of a large panel, even with standard definition source. I would recommend 'screen fit' for just about everything. Standard definition FTA television is generally affected by compression so there are some settings in the picture menu that you can adjust to reduce the effects of compression. The other option is run your FTA through an external tuner or PVR which should also improve the picture quality a bit. Cheers and happy viewing.

Thanks Owen, I'll experiment with your settings. But I'll agree to disagree regarding the sharpness. I hate the soft (blurry if you like) picture running the sharpness at a low (or 0) setting gives. .

Play the Sharpness setting track on the DVE HD Calibration disc and you'll immediately see what he's (Owen) saying. The higher the setting, the more jagged the edges. It sticks out like dogs bollocks.

Play the Sharpness setting track on the DVE HD Calibration disc and you'll immediately see what he's (Owen) saying. The higher the setting, the more jagged the edges. It sticks out like dogs bollocks.

I guess I'm lucky I haven't that calibration disc. :hyper: I've reduced the sharpness to 80. That's low enough for me.

The other option is run your FTA through an external tuner or PVR which should also improve the picture quality a bit.

That kind of implies that the 7100 tuner is not the best. Happy to say that through my Strong SRT-5492 PVR the difference between the two tuners is barely noticeable.

while I was in regret about the 55" purchase I was going through the menu trying to make the picture sharper for free to air. Not much luck - so at the end of the evening after accepting in my mind I had bought it, could not exchange it and to make the best of it,

Have you noticed how the sets on display at the stores are rarely on FTA, and never on SD? Simply because the larger the set the crappier the image will be, particularly on SD. Quite simple really. 576 lines is always going to look much better on a 32/40" screen than on a 55". or larger.

I guess I'm lucky I haven't that calibration disc. :hyper: I've reduced the sharpness to 80. That's low enough for me.

Well if you're happy to watch with extra artifacts that you've introduced, fine. Read any good review though and the first thing they do, is turn the sharpness to zero, on any type of set. As I said above, use a calibration disc and you can see immediately, the reason for turning it off. I just searched through my Blu-Rays to see if any of them had the THX calibration tool on them but I couldn't find one. Most THX DVDs have it but I don't know whether there's a sharpness tool, I think it just concentrates on Brightness, Contrast, Colour.

Well if you're happy to watch with extra artifacts that you've introduced, fine.

Working in the Television broadcast industry for ~30 years, I'm probably one very picky person when it comes to picture settings, compression artefacts and the like. Never had an issue with running the sharpness control on LCD/Plasma panels or the old CRT type. I'm also not one for "reviewers" advice. Prefer to use my own eyes. Each to their own I guess. But I don't see the issues you mention. Maybe I've got a good panel.

Just getting back on the Sammy 55" F7100 More to come when I have time....
That's a clever solution speedy. I usually suggest that a smaller set is 'kinder' on SD and unless you're intending to watch almost no SD then dialing back on the screen size gives you the best of both worlds. But your solution sounds even more flexible. That said, I suspect you'll probably start using Smart View 2 less and less over time. But meanwhile enjoy.

Regards

Peter Gillepsie

That kind of implies that the 7100 tuner is not the best. Happy to say that through my Strong SRT-5492 PVR the difference between the two tuners is barely noticeable.
I just tested the Sammy F7100 tuner against an Optus triple tuner 1TB STB (Fetch TV) and I find it very similar, perhaps the Sammy better in colour but identical in sharpness. The test I did was on ABC3 still pic advertising ("Were back from 6AM")and another documentary. Edited by speedy

. You will find over time, the 7100 will start to look a lot better. .

After 5 days I'm starting to agree

I suspect you'll probably start using Smart View 2 less and less over time. But meanwhile enjoy.

Regards

Peter Gillepsie

I also have Fetch TV via Optus broadband and quite a few stations like MTV, Style, Baby TV and Disc Home and Health, all downloading at low definition which most likely will continue to look better on "Smart View 2"

I'm just watching a FTA movie on channel 7Mate "The Rock" on the full 55" screen and its very very clear (you know swet glands and facial hair crisp) - brilliant! Tested the 55" setting on that movie against the 40" setting "Smart View 2" and with this kind of higher resolution movie the 55" normal setting actually looks noticeably much better to watch for sure. Wanna be!

Edited by speedy

So far this Sammy F7100 is just outstanding and pleasing to watch. I just wanna keep watching it. I have not really been able to fault it as yet but give me time.

As with all LED LCD's I will eventually need a sound system to go with it, but for the present the two 10W speakers are doing a pretty good job.As far as the natural facial and skin tone colours are concerned, don't worry about what I said before after watching an in store set, you can set the skin tones to just about whatever level of pinks, yellows, etc you feel is your choice. Very fexible here!There are 4 "Picture Modes" > Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie. I said before after watching a store Sammy TV that only dynamic was any good! Wrong! In your house they are all good> I chose "Natural" to use for my own personal custom settings. You can choose any picture mode and change it to your own custom picture mode settings.

Edit: Well there ya go! I just found another Picture Mode hidden in "Tools" under "Sports Mode" which gives you a fifth picture mode called "Stadium" and another "Sound Mode" also called "Stadium" which makes sports programs look very bright and inviting (takes the dullness away from a sports ground).

As far as the "Smart TV" or "Smart Hub" button on your remote goes. I am starting to see the great potential of these Smart options - will need plenty of free time to play with that to get the most out of these many applications (apps). I have set up the wireless connection from my broadband wireless 4 port modem and watched some You Tube downloads. My pleasing surprise was that you can get some excellent high definition you tube downloads that look just great on the 55" screen. Off course low def you tube is a bit fuzzy away from the laptop. I have also been watching youtube via my Optus Fetch TV STB. This Optus STB downloads via hardwired "Powerline Connection" adaptors (yes via 240V house powerlines - amazing!). Quality high def You Tube is so much better (more relaxing in your high chair) to watch on the Sammy large screen.

Only thing I need is a wireless small keybord so that I can surf the net (on the TV) without using the up/down/enter arrows/buttons on the remote which is very laborious. I know that Samsung sell one for $99 but I am sure there must be one I could buy for about $30-$40 that will do the job just as well. Don't know if anyone could recommend one?

Another really good feature about it is that you can swivel the screen so you can still view it while on my PC or even from the dinning table (in my case) while knocking down a good bottle of wine with your wife at dinner time . This is where the large screen is fantastic, when your a distance away and still want to keep tabs on whatever is on.The chrome stand legs look great too

Edited by speedy

As with all LED LCD's I will eventually need a sound system to go with it, but for the present the two 10W speakers are doing a pretty good job...

Only thing I need is a wireless small keybord so that I can surf the net (on the TV) without using the up/down/enter arrows/buttons on the remote which is very laborious. I know that Samsung sell one for $99 but I am sure there must be one I could buy for about $30-$40 that will do the job just as well. Don't know if anyone could recommend one?

Surprisingly , the built-in speakers aren't too bad. I've heard a lot worse. I run my Strong PVR, Samsung Blu-ray (BD-F6500) and the TV sound (optical out) through a Yamaha HTR-3065 Receiver via the HDMI connections into the TV. I couldn't careless about surround sound, so use the receiver for good old stereo through a pair of second hand Yamaha NS-20T 2way speakers. Sounds great! I also picked up a cheap wireless keyboard/mouse combo that works a treat. On special at the supermarket for $20 was the Logitech MK 220 combo. A lot cheaper than the Samsung wireless keyboard, and you also get a mouse. Have a look on ebay. Edited by STB

I also picked up a cheap wireless keyboard/mouse combo that works a treat. On special at the supermarket for $20 was the Logitech MK 220 combo. A lot cheaper than the Samsung wireless keyboard, and you also get a mouse. Have a look on ebay.

Do you happen to know the MK220 boards dimensions which don't seem to be available on-line?

Roughly how does the keyboard and mouse wirelessly connect to the TV - is their a wireless dongle you connect to the USB port on the TV ? After wireless connection does the keyboard bypass the need for the remote when typing in commands in the search bars?

Do you happen to know the MK220 boards dimensions which don't seem to be available on-line?

Roughly how does the keyboard and mouse wirelessly connect to the TV - is their a wireless dongle you connect to the USB port on the TV ? After wireless connection does the keyboard bypass the need for the remote when typing in commands in the search bars?

speedy,The MK220 is roughly 38cm x 12cm x 2cm, it connects via a dongle connected to the USB port. You can use both the keyboard/mouse and the Samsung remotes if you like. I have found that because the small dongle is hidden by the surround of the TV, you may want to use one of those 30cm extension cables (or longer) so you have the choice of positioning the dongle line of sight from you for longer coverage. Obviously the metal in the TV can attenuate the signal a bit. A good cheap combo. Mouse is powered by 2x AA and keyboard by 2x AAA.

Just went out and bought a wireless keyboard > the Logitech K400r http://logitech-en-a...tail/a_id/35278

I got it from Office Works: http://www.officewor...oards/INLOG1317

but OW beat "greenboxit" price by 5%: http://greenboxit.co...ucts_id=69224 so I got it for about $37

I chose the K400r because I haven't got much room on my coffee table and already about 5 remotes. The K400r has a built in mouse pad (scroll pad) like a laptop, so I can dispense with the need for a mouse. Got it all in one keyboard. This keyboard is about 3cm's shorter in width but a bit deeper. Dimensions: 354mm x 136mm x 24mm

Will try and tune it in to the Sammy F7100 TV tonight for use on Smart TV on-line options

Edited by speedy

Yes sometimes OW do somethings cheaper than the others not always. Sounds like you need to look into Harmony Remotes next to get rid of some of those remotes. I can recommend the Harmony 700, love mine good as long you do not have more than six devices to control.. Need to have a scan round the internet for best prices.

Sounds like you need to look into Harmony Remotes next to get rid of some of those remotes. I can recommend the Harmony 700, love mine good as long you do not have more than six devices to control.. Need to have a scan round the internet for best prices.

Was about to suggest that myself. I've got the Harmony one. Picked it up for $40 second hand. Has now been superseded by the Harmony Touch. Best thing since sliced bread! Turn any combination of equipment on or off. Great stuff.

The MK220 is roughly 38cm x 12cm x 2cm, it connects via a dongle connected to the USB port. You can use both the keyboard/mouse and the Samsung remotes if you like. I have found that because the small dongle is hidden by the surround of the TV, you may want to use one of those 30cm extension cables (or longer) so you have the choice of positioning the dongle line of sight from you for longer coverage. Obviously the metal in the TV can attenuate the signal a bit. .

Hi STB

Your right mate - I find it especially when using the K400r scroll pad, its especially sensitive to line of sight from keyboard to dongle behind the metal back. I tried scrolling on pad and as I walked to the side of the TV (in line of sight) whilst scrolling pad it very noticeably improved. Will go down to Jaycar shop and pick up a short usb cable. Good tip STB

Actually sent an email from the "Smart TV" today - worked fine

Edited by speedy

I'm thinking of getting a couple of quality HDMI cables for a Blue Ray player and for my Optus STB

Some say they have 24AWG high quality and perform at speeds up to 10.2 Gbps - better than 30AWG with speed up to only 2.25Gbps > where you pay triple the price (around $18)

See: http://www.ebay.com....=item41753ec27b

This one is only around $5 to $7:

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1438.l2649

&

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649

Only looking at 1.5M to 2M cable - does extra length of cable make a difference over 1M to 3M for quality of signal

What about claims of 24K gold plating or simply gold plated connectors?

What about "The wire is fully shielded and completely isolated from outside interference, and excellent resistance to electromagnetic interference (RFI and EMI)"

or

" Large Ferrite Chokes at both ends to filter out RF interference for the best signal performance"

See: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290928261419?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

See: Large Ferrite Chokes at both ends to filter out RF interference for the best signal performance

Also, "Highest-grade oxygen-free copper Conductor"

and "4K Resolution Support"

and "Supports Resolutions: 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, up to 2160p"

See: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400288029178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

any advice? (confusing)

Edited by speedy