Lg 100 Inch Laser Display Hecto

I decided today to call in our local Harvey Norman store where i never go in there to see if they have or can let me know where the closest Harvey Norman store that has this LG 100 inch laser tv.

To my surprise, this small harvey norman store at Morayfield in North Brisbane had one there on display. and to my surprise it did not look too bad. i asked the salesman there is it possible to select the same HDMI source and select all the other tvs to have the same movie running and within seconds there were at least 9 tvs the largest next to the big LG being the Sharp 80 inch. and to my surprise, the LG 100 inch display looked slightly sharper then the 80 inch Sharp LCD LED tv. I did compare this 100 inch tv with other manufacturers but to my surprise the 100 inch looked as sharp as some of the Sony models and some of the Samsung models of the 50 to 75 inch range. I did also notice that the blacks are not as black as the Samsung and Sony models parked right next to it but this 100 inch tv's blacks are alot better then the blacks on my 71 inch LG 71SA1D LCOS tv. Whilst viewing this 100 inch monster, i did also notice reflection on the roof which would be a pain at night but i was also explained that this can be eliminated as the background from the ceiling and walls by repainting it a certain colour or a paint with a certain texture of this colour. What i also did notice with this 100 inch tv you can sit 6 metres away from it or 1 metre away from it and it still looks good whilst with the Sharp 70 and 80 inch and the Samsung 75 inch if i sat 1 metre in front of them i am greeted by a flyscreen. Another thing i have noticed is if you try to stick your face in front of the laser the unit sort of shuts down as my missus was silly enough to stick her face in front of it only to see it shut down. Interesting. I know alot of people might not be a fan of this tv but i am so surprised for a tv that only has 1920x1080p to supply such a good picture quality for a large tv of that size for only 1080p.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha good stuff mate.

the harvey and domayne at bundall gold coast have had these set up since the first ad on tv. i've seen them a few times. things i noticed with them as the reflection. i tried that shutoff feature also! i noticed in harvey norman they didn't have it aligned properly, but thats just a set up issue. tbh, i didnt think it looked much more impressive than any projector ive seen, except that it is reasonably watchable under store lights.

you will most likely notice the sharpness as it is a dlp projector creating the image. i always notice since having had a dlp for years that many of the lcd and plasma tvs are not as sharp as the projector. i even did a test once where i held the projector close to the wall and made a 50" image, it was smooth as at that small. no sde at all.

I had a close look at this last weekend. The sales guy said have a close look at the buckling at the top of the screen. And yes , it was present ... a ripple across the screen

He said it took nearly two hours of adjusting the screen to get it right and even then it still wasn't perfect.

The image was excellent - crisp lines and decent blacks. Shame the price is so high :(

Edited by Stilted

I did also notice that the blacks are not as black as the Samsung and Sony models parked right next to it but this 100 inch tv's blacks are alot better then the blacks on my 71 inch LG 71SA1D LCOS tv.

Thanks for the insight Blackman . It will be very interesting to see how much contrast [native or iris assist ] these led laser hybrids will manage .The pana 430 review shows the advantages of the technology :thumbsup:

This is because the projector uses three separate "lamps" - a red LED, a blue LED, and a green laser - and can drastically reduce the brightness of any of these, independently of the others. Less light coming from the projector leads to stronger blacks. We saw excellent dynamic range coupled with strong black levels while using real-world content, not just test patterns. This, in part, accounts for the RW430U's strong crossover potential with the home video market, but it also has benefits in the display of photography or data graphics.

Native contrast is dictated by the DLP chip and its optics, not the light source.

Dimming the light source results in less real world contrast than a dynamic iris, so LED-Laser wont improve the native contrast of DLP projection, just some useless manufactures CR numbers.

Projection offers significantly better fill factor than flat panels so the image can be much larger before pixel structure becomes intrusive.

Image sharpness is dominated by image processing, not display technology.

People not familiar with projection assume it will look soft and are surprised when it does not.

Edited by Owen

Just to clarify Owen could you please put a viewsonic quote below in context ; and what effect this dynamic psu could have ? also notice these hybrid laser projectors tend to have expanded colour gamuts too if this had an effect on what was perceived in the projector review quote above ? A lot of these hybrids seem to be using dc3 chips for their contrast it seems ..

Intelligent Power Control

A hybrid projector also utilizes intelligent power control. This means that the

projectors intelligently controls the amount of power delivered to the illumination

source. For example, when watching darker movies, less energy is required.

Whereas a 200-watt lamp will always use 200 watts when powered on, regardless

of the image being projected, a hybrid with intelligent power control will automatically

and instantly adjust the illumination level based on the content displayed. Over time,

this can result in a drastic reduction of energy usage, along with the associated

costs of electricity

I was there pestering the sales guy for nearly one hour and I even tried one HD on it as they had ONE HD ( did not test SD on it) running on just about every TV there in the shop when I arrived. Even ONE HD looked better on the Hecto than any of the other larger displays over say 60 inch. The part that got me is whatever distance I was looking at it (say 2M to 6M) It looked the same but I cannot say the same for the other 75 inch plus Displays mainly the Sharp 80 inch as the Fly screen came into view anything under (approx) 2.5, 2.8M away.

I will be going back there next friday with my test Blu-ray movies (mainly my previously spoken about RED Movie) where I want to test the Hecto on Jitter or Judder.

Another concern I have with the Hecto is will it be able to run my NTSC Satellite HD channels on it 'eg" NHK on Intelsat 19 166 Deg east and others as the Sharp 80 inch is ok with this. My old LG 71SA1D is perfect on the NHK HD channel its the sharpest channels I have ever seen on anything..

So you're actually thinking of buying one? I would have thought the price tag would have put off most people who know a thing or two about the actual cost of projectors and screens, but if you see value in it, more power to you.

I had a close look at this last weekend. The sales guy said have a close look at the buckling at the top of the screen. And yes , it was present ... a ripple across the screen

He said it took nearly two hours of adjusting the screen to get it right and even then it still wasn't perfect.

The image was excellent - crisp lines and decent blacks. Shame the price is so high :(

When I go next to Harvey Norman not only I will bring my Blu-Ray testing movies for Jitter and Judder I will also bring my blu-ray Digital Essentials with me so I can test for any geometry issues and over scan.

I bet if some of you guys on this forum ever bought one you would spend days working on it until you got it close to perfect.

The sales guy told me in the set up the actual Laser DLP unit can be setup in 6 or 9 (forgot) different positions depending what cabinet you're supplying. Hummmm!!! interesting!!!

As for the Price Its a pitty Harvey Norman is the only retailer that has the Hecto as if JB and The Good Guys had them I would bet the prices would be cheaper. The LG Blu-ray player/set top box with 1 TB drive in it is worth around $500.

I might ring LG today asking a few questions.

So you're actually thinking of buying one? I would have thought the price tag would have put off most people who know a thing or two about the actual cost of projectors and screens, but if you see value in it, more power to you.

By October November I will either own a Sharp 80 inch, Samsung 75 inch (if possible without the clouding issue), or the Hecto to replace my faithful LG 71 SAID that I use only for Blue Ray and HD Satellite channels. We have another LG 71SA1D in another TV room for the wife. I bought this one from ebay a year ago for $176 not working with the special original LG cabinet. I have fixed a few of them that have died. this unit needed one new fan (replace the three of them) one capacitor in the SMPS and away it went. Funny thing with these TV's (LG 71SA1D) people that replace the fans stuff up the Tuner card where the fans plug into by pushing the socket of the three fans incorrectly only to push the pin out the back of the PCB.

Back on topic Is the Hecto worth the money even if surprisingly the Hecto gives you a Good PQ and does not suffer badly from the dreaded diseases of Jitter and Judder.

What i'm mainly loooking at is the Size, The sharpness, and close to Jitter Judder free. Yes the price tag is a little on the nose,, I remember my original LG 71incher cost $10,000 when it arrived in Australia, I bought it new for $3200 one year after the model was in australia. I would be happy to see the Hecto drop in price.

Seems that the US Hecto has the Digital tuner inside and does not require a set top box like the OZ one or is it a case that the model we have in Australia is the same as in Yank land as the specs of the yank one says 100-240volts 50/60Hz. (nothing about NTSC or Pal) but you cannot use the US Digital tuner in it as bandwidth are different in Australia thus requiring an external set top box.

what do you think guys?

I would have thought that they dont expect to sell enough locally to R & D a local tuner, however if they're including a 1tb PVR, I would think its a better option than an inbuilt tuner anyway.

Is a standard projector/screen setup not a consideration? Does the short throw and light rejection screen appeal?

I reckon the laser is the biggest advantage of this display (claimed to last 25,000 hours). Does anyone know if lasers can be turned on and off without affecting the lifespan (as is the case with fragile lamps)?

If that is the case, then once the traditional throw front projectors start including lasers (which may be the case after CEDIA in September), then we should be able to setup similar systems for half the price of the LG.

Edited by timhet

Is a standard projector/screen setup not a consideration?

Not unless I can find one as Sharp as this Hecto and the Blacks it can reproduce. Nothing more I hate is to watch a 2:30:1 blu-ray movie on a 16:9 display with grey black bars up the top and the Bottom. My old LG has this problem as the LcoS on this TV was known for giving poor blacks and when it comes to front projectors that I have seen they are a lot worst, Actually at HN they had two and they were unwatchable

I reckon the laser is the biggest advantage of this display (claimed to last 25,000 hours). Does anyone know if lasers can be turned on and off without affecting the lifespan (as is the case with fragile lamps)?

If that is the case, then once the traditional throw front projectors start including lasers (which may be the case after CEDIA in September), then we should be able to setup similar systems for half the price of the LG.

Instant on/off like a tv timhet and no fans needed to cool a temperamental lamp :no: so no filter cleaning ..

http://blog.viewsonic.com/viewsonic-news/laser-led-hybrid-technology/

You can setup something now with the pana 470 that shames the LG's price ; just have to get past the ''business projector '' moniker and see it has most things you need ; it even adjusts for white balance over time ; nice .

The projector is desinged with a quick on/off which will not hurt the light source even if you turn on/off many times.

http://panasonic.com.au/Products/Projectors/Solid+shine/PT-RZ470/Overview

Just to clarify Owen could you please put a viewsonic quote below in context ; and what effect this dynamic psu could have ? also notice these hybrid laser projectors tend to have expanded colour gamuts too if this had an effect on what was perceived in the projector review quote above ? A lot of these hybrids seem to be using dc3 chips for their contrast it seems ..

Contrast ratio is defined as peak white level divided by black level. Dimming the light source in a projector dims whites and blacks by the same amount so has ZERO effect on in scene contrast ratio. Blacks are improved in dark scenes at the expense of brighter highlights which results in a flat lifeless image lacking in depth.

A variable light source or dynamic iris results in black and white level float or pump depending on the scene displayed, which is not only annoying - distracting but artificial and inaccurate.

Put simply, dynamic contrast systems are no substitute for true high native contrast performance which DLP technology cannot provide. In the dark, on-off contrast performance is about the same as an LCD flat panel, but under ambient lighting will be much worse.

Expanded colour gamut in a display is a big nono. HD video is produced to the REC. 709 standard, and for accurate colour the display MUST match this standard exactly.

Edited by Owen

Not unless I can find one as Sharp as this Hecto and the Blacks it can reproduce. Nothing more I hate is to watch a 2:30:1 blu-ray movie on a 16:9 display with grey black bars up the top and the Bottom. My old LG has this problem as the LcoS on this TV was known for giving poor blacks and when it comes to front projectors that I have seen they are a lot worst, Actually at HN they had two and they were unwatchable

The problem with front projection is the normal white screen that looks obviously not black in anything other than total darkness and theretofore provides poor contrast

The main difference with the LG is its ambient light rejection screen that makes it usable in a non dark room. Similar or better front projection screens are available for normal front projectors that allow the use of MUCH better performing projectors with contrast ratios over 10 times better than the DLP system used in the LG. Total cost is also lower and available screen sizes much larger.

If a good cheap DLP front projector was used with a clever and expensive ambient light rejections screen the total cost would be about halve that of the LG system and performance would be better. This makes the LG redundant IMHO.

Any display that handles 24fps natively will not have "judder" issues.

Jitter is normal for 24fps source, displays that offer motion interpolation can reduce jitter and provide and artificially smoothed look, if thats what you like.

Edited by Owen

UHP projection lamps are not a big problem, they are typicality brighter than LED/Laser light sources and dont cost much or involve much effort to replace.

For the price premium of the LG you could run a UHP illuminated projection system for about 50 years before you would be ahead on cost.

Edited by Owen

Instant on/off like a tv timhet and no fans needed to cool a temperamental lamp :no: so no filter cleaning ..

I have yet to see a TV with instant on/off. My Samsung LCD TV takes at least 5 seconds to display a picture, about 20 seconds less than my rear projection TV or projector. I can wait the extra 20 seconds. :D

LED light sources make plenty of heat and need fan cooling.

Filters take about 5 minutes to clean every few years, they are a non issue unless you are seriously lazy.

Edited by Owen

Filters take about 5 minutes to clean every few years, they are a non issue unless you are seriously lazy.

I clean the large LG 71SA1D's filter (side of the light engine) every November before Summer starts. I am surprised how dirty they get. I have seen them so choked that it would be mission impossible to circulate any air in the system. I bet how many others that have had these TV's have never known that there is a filter to clean in these LcoS TV's

I have a 7 year old Sony LCoS TV that does not use any filters, it uses heat exchange systems. The cooling air paths for the lamp and optical block are separate and effectively sealed so only clean air gets circulated.

Only the heat exchanger for the lamp draws in outside air and the openings and internal air ways are large and very difficult to block with dust. Only the fan blades are likely to foul up over time and a small brush deals with them. The Sony was cleaned at 5 years or about 5000 hours and I just checked it today after another 2000 hours and it does not need cleaning.

My JVC projector is 2 years old and has over 1000 hours up, I have checked the filter twice and found negligible dust both times.

Most TV's have cooling fans and heat sinks these days for power supplies and electronics, all of them will need cleaning periodically to avoid overheating and failure so cleaning is not just a projector issue.

If the environment is particularity dusty it would be wise for people to check for dust on fans, heat sinks, vents, etc annually and clean as required.

I have been searching LG sites around the world and finally I find one that has the full specs of the Hecto as I've been looking for the full resolution and compatibility of NTSC on this beast. I wonder if they only make one model for world wide

http://www.lg.com/ae/projectors/lg-HECTOt

A variable light source or dynamic iris results in black and white level float or pump depending on the scene displayed, which is not only annoying - distracting but artificial and inaccurate.

Put simply, dynamic contrast systems are no substitute for true high native contrast performance which DLP technology cannot provide. In the dark, on-off contrast performance is about the same as an LCD flat panel, but under ambient lighting will be much worse.

Thanks Owen ; I wonder how quick the lasers can be individually switched on or off and why its incorporated ; can appreciate pumping with a slow iris where sometimes there best left off .

I have yet to see a TV with instant on/off. My Samsung LCD TV takes at least 5 seconds to display a picture, about 20 seconds less than my rear projection TV or projector. I can wait the extra 20 seconds. :D

LED light sources make plenty of heat and need fan cooling.

I like to paraphrase Owen ;dont take me literally :)

Energy Savings

Hybrid projectors are much more energy efficient, generating nearly twice as many

lumens per watt as a lamp-based projector. Other features further increase the

energy savings. For example, the lack of a lamp means that the light source can be

turned on and off instantly. Users of lamp-based projectors will typically leave the

device powered on for long periods of time to avoid waiting for warm up. The wait

time on a lamp-based projector is required for the unit to cool down until the internal

temperature is at a level safe for re-igniting the lamp. A hybrid projector, on the

other hand, can be switched on and off instantly as needed to reduce power usage.

This means a lower fan speed, which also results in much quieter operation. With less

heat generated, the hybrid projector can also save on facility cooling costs

Last time I checked my epson filter after a few months It was clean so even longer looks good ..

http://www.viewsonic.com/documents/white_papers/laser-led-hybrid_whitepaper_hires_en.pdf

Edited by cwt

This is what I was after where most of this is missing from the Australian LG web site.

What I get confused with regarding NTSC or Pal, is it relevant in Digital via HDMI or is Pal ,NTSC only relevant on Composite or analog only. What I'm trying to say is there a 1920x1080i or p MPeg 4 Pal or NTSC source today or are my wires mixed up in my head

• Menu Language
  • Aspect Ratio Control
  • Sound
  • Dimension (mm)
  • Weight (kg)
  • Power Consumption
  • Stand-by Power
  • Power Supply
  • Input Signal Compatibility RGB
  • Input Signal Compatibility(Component Video)
  • Input Signal Compatibility/Digital(HDMI)
  • Input Signal Compatibility(Composite Video)

• English/ Korean/ Spanish/ French/ German/ Italian/ Swedish/ Polish/ Portuguese/ Brazilian/ Chinese(simplified) / Arabic / Turkish
  • FULL, 16:9, Set by program, 4:3 , zoom, cinema zoom
  • 10W + 10W Stereo ↑ (C Grade)
  • Set : 546.3 x 145 x 406.6 (W H D) Screen : 2245 x 1272 x 12
  • Set 14 kg / Screen 32 kg(TBD)
  • 400W (Max)
  • 0.5W ↓
  • AC 100 ~ 240V(Free Voltage), 50Hz/60Hz
  • up to 1920x1080, (60Hz)
  • 1080i/p, 720p, 480i/p
  • up to 1080p(60Hz/24Hz)
  • NTSC-M/NTSC 4.43/PAL/PAL-M/PAL-N/SECAM