Sign in to follow this  

The Nas Owners Thread - A Place For All Things Nas Related

http://www.kitguru.net/components/hard-drives/anton-shilov/cloud-storage-provider-publishes-consumer-hdds-reliability-report/

Another reason why I will only ever use Hitachi hard drives on my NAS :)

I use WD Blue's/Blacks on my main computer and computers I build for friends..............I stay well away from the dreaded WD green drives....Ewwwww!. I had 3 of them stuff up in 6 months lol....never again!.

Seagate.............well let's not go there. I switched from them yonks ago!...............Im not surprised they are doing so horribly.

Edited by buddhamus

Have two WD Green 3tb's mate without issue thus far and the link doesn't suggest they are that bad.

Will grab a couple of the Hitachi's however and back up my WD stuff to them.............

I'm using WD Reds ... I had one booted from the NAS, ran the WD Tool on it and it's now back in service (in a less critical role).

I have 5 x 2TB greens that have been ticking along fine for 3+years .... I just bought another 4 x 3TB Reds to transfer the data to from them to be safe ... When I did the store owner said they are now finding things have come full circle and they now have far less seagate warranty claims than WD ... So I have also bought 2 x 3 TB Segate NAS drives to shift all the Synology Packages to in order to allow all the other volumes to sleep when not in use.

I did have a batch of 3 greens that all died within 18 months though ... Haven't heard of any problems since though.

Edited by Guest

http://www.kitguru.net/components/hard-drives/anton-shilov/cloud-storage-provider-publishes-consumer-hdds-reliability-report/

Another reason why I will only ever use Hitachi hard drives on my NAS :)

I use WD Blue's/Blacks on my main computer and computers I build for friends..............I stay well away from the dreaded WD green drives....Ewwwww!. I had 3 of them stuff up in 6 months lol....never again!.

Seagate.............well let's not go there. I switched from them yonks ago!...............Im not surprised they are doing so horribly.

First post in the comments to that article lead to this:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

There were massive floods in Thailand and the western digital plant got badly damaged over a year ago now. I suspect all these dodgy failed drives were manufactured during this period.

I'd still purchase wd over seagate any day of the week. The reason more wd are reported as faulty is due to the sheer number of drives out there compared to other brands.

Came across this enterprise model NAS I just couldnt say no too and recommend it to anyone who is happy with 4tb of already populated hdd's ; its also got 2 gigabit ethernet ports and usb3.0 :) Raid 0 and 1 and jbod .

http://www.oo.com.au/Lenovo-EMC-PX2-300D-Network-St_P243924.cfm?cid=em|str:OONewsletter|pro:Newsletter|ema:2014-10-26-FreeDelivery-SUAM|mid:10102845&riid=4377105&mid=10102845&cm_mmc=email-_-OONewsletter-_-2014-10-26-FreeDelivery-SUAM-_-null&cm_lm=cta46657@dodo.com.au&utm_source=oonl&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailynl

Edited by cwt

Three years warranty sounds good too

Its got a lot more options than my netgear stora has Chops and a better media player [ twonky I read ]. My tvix 3d just found an upgrade after none for ages to dnla stream 3d iso's and the lenovo's dual core cpu seems to help with the frame rate smoothness :)

Edited by cwt

If you boys want a NAS and are serious about getting a good one for cheap, do what I did.

Buy a HP MicoServer N54L, this is a home server, normally can be bought for $200. They have so much CPU and Ram that you can run virtual machines off them, more than enough for a NAS, then download and install Xpenology. I have, it was dead easy, and this thing is a beast. I get transfer speeds of 130+mb/sec. This is the max as the hard drives can not spin any faster.

Xpenology is basically Synology DSM but a jailbroken version to run on other linux boxes.

There is so much info out there for these set ups just do a quick google on HP N54L Xpenology and you will discover the greatness.

I have had mine for over 12 months with 4x 4TB drives in raid 5.

If you boys want a NAS and are serious about getting a good one for cheap, do what I did.

Buy a HP MicoServer N54L, this is a home server, normally can be bought for $200. They have so much CPU and Ram that you can run virtual machines off them, more than enough for a NAS, then download and install Xpenology. I have, it was dead easy, and this thing is a beast. I get transfer speeds of 130+mb/sec. This is the max as the hard drives can not spin any faster.

Xpenology is basically Synology DSM but a jailbroken version to run on other linux boxes.

There is so much info out there for these set ups just do a quick google on HP N54L Xpenology and you will discover the greatness.

I have had mine for over 12 months with 4x 4TB drives in raid 5.

Have to agree with you there. The HP micro server is one of the most bang for buck if you like to tingle. Great for average person home use. However, I went for the expensive route, upgraded/modded my Qnap TS-470 using this blog:

http://www.duppeditten.com/blog/qnap-ts-870-ultimate-nas-on-steroids

For me this is close to a one box solution, it has HDMI out. Comes with XBMC out of the box. Can transcode on the fly without sweat. Don't think there are many NAS can right now. Quite and fast. But like i say, expensive. Than again, maintenance is low. Less hassles with security patches. I have not used it to its full potential, will use it as a VM host and remote access, private cloud storage..etc. Am mainly used for Plex/XBMC and store all my photos and the odd occasion browsing on news groups. :D

Wow what a beast the QNAP TS-470 is. You wont need to upgrade that anytime soon.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to measure hard disk drive age and expected life other than cycle count?

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but if you use a 4/5/6 port router from your modem do you lose any speed in the linking process?

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but if you use a 4/5/6 port router from your modem do you lose any speed in the linking process?

No, the modem speeds (internet) are far slower than the LAN network (modem and cables) inside your house.

If you're just talking about the LAN connection then you can have 100Mbps or 1000Mbps equipment. If any single item in a connection is 100Mbps then the speed is limited to that (100Mbps is probably still plenty fine for you - the only advantage of 1000Mbps is its quicker to copy huge files across your network - streaming is unaffected)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

No, the modem speeds (internet) are far slower than the LAN network (modem and cables) inside your house.

If you're just talking about the LAN connection then you can have 100Mbps or 1000Mbps equipment. If any single item in a connection is 100Mbps then the speed is limited to that (100Mbps is probably still plenty fine for you - the only advantage of 1000Mbps is its quicker to copy huge files across your network - streaming is unaffected)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thank you