The Nas Owners Thread - A Place For All Things Nas Related

On 10/06/2023 at 9:35 AM, Hilltop Hippy said:

Anyone built a system with TrueNAS?

Our 4 bay Synology 815 is full. We need a new one. So its either another Synology or a DIY build with TrueNAS. I like the idea of DIY as I can build it stupid quiet and I can replace parts as required. I've NFI about the software side though.

Thoughts?

I can build a PC. I'm not so good on the software side.

I know this question has lapsed for the op but for anyone else considering the same I can highly recommend TrueNAS, mind you my background in NAS is FreeNAS and a old Thecus, so not extensive or a good basis to compare industry leading brands.

Compared to FreeNAS; TrueNAS is way more user friendly with dashboards and an easy interface. There is a little bit of reading required, whereas FreeNAS was many hours of reading and configuring and trial and error.

Compared to Thecus, whoa the performance and relative power of the software is light years ahead. I get 90mb/s writes with large files which is essentially saturating the gigabit link vs 20mb/s of the Thecus.

My TrueNAS is an old i5 6500 with 8gb ram, it only has a single disk in it as I needed to put it together in a pinch in order to migrate data from the immenenty failing disk in the Thecus. For my basic use case its a clear winner, particularly if you already have an old system kicking about not doing anything. I had it set up in a single afternoon.

You will need some technical aptitude and appetite to get it setup initially but honestly I have not had to touch it once since it went online about 2-3 months back.

Edited by rundllexe
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, rundllexe said:

I know this question has lapsed for the op

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've still not done anything actually. Our current NAS is working and I'm waiting until the Black Friday sales to by a new PC and possibly a new NAS. I'll keep chewing on this, thank you again. Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi fellow NAS users

I am considering swapping out my Synology NAS (416-play) with 4xSSD drives for a four bay QNAP

The main reason is that the Synology is not playing nice with my M2 MacMini.

Example 1  - if I have a keynote file on the NAS and open and edit it, autosave comes up  with an error message :Screenshot2023-09-05at3_13_11pm.png.29134d184afbfc5e42f395368829b0e0.png

This is a pain when I am working on the document.

Example 2 -  (This is a bit more complex) My music files are on the NAS. When I update the metadata, I use applescript to instruct Music app (new iTunes) to effect the changes. Music app in turn triggers "AMPLIbraryAgent" service which does the actual file writing and management. If Music app is forced to close before AMPLibrary agent is finished then the metadata (including file location) may not be updated, even though the database of Music app has changed. The issue here is that AMPLibraryagent is not syncing correctly with the NAS and it can take up to 2 hours to record changes to 600 tracks!

Example 3 - Backing up from the NAS to a USB3 SSD attached to the NAS is horrendously slow. An initial backup of my music files alone takes about 2.5 days! (3.75Tb)

Other back ground info:

I have 4 macs connecting to the NAS and Roon is running on a Nucleus with it's own internal SSD. Nightly scripts back up NAS files to attached USB drives (rsync protocol) and copies altered music files to the Nucleus.

Any feedback would be appreciated in assessing any change.

• 3 months later...
  • Volunteer

I run a Synology DS1512+ with 5 x WD Red 4TB drives in it. It has been very reliable for storage, file share and backup duties for over 10 years now. I originally set out with 3 x Seagate Constellation Enterprise Grade drives (3TB ea), but had a drive failure forcing my move to WD Reds about 4 years ago.

Over the weekend I got the dreaded EoL mail from Synology telling me that DSM 6.2 will cease development and patching in Oct 2024. My DS1512+ is not compatible with DSM 7.x and now due to sunsetting the OS, I will be forced to do a hardware refresh on the chassis.

Seems that the package architectures on the DS1512+ (Cedarview) and its current equivalent DS1522+ (R1000) are both "Group 3" classifieds so the direct HDD migration methodology looks like the go for me.Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 10.51.28.jpg

Question is, has anyone on here done the HDD migration method and how did it go? Any gotchas?

I'll probably start this as a mini-project in the new year, only thing else to consider is if 8GB RAM is sufficient. I'm not doing anything complex on the NAS as I have followed segregation of duty processes and moved other services off to better platforms (Roon is running on NUC as ROCK, I don't do any other media server services).

Thanks

t