The Nas Owners Thread - A Place For All Things Nas Related

For me the cost of storage is cheap enough not to justify the time to compress or potential for quality reduction. Other plus is that you maintain all disc features (+ crap)

Agree, I would rather keep the entire thing bit for bit

Edited by Guest

For me the cost of storage is cheap enough not to justify the time to compress or potential for quality reduction. Other plus is that you maintain all disc features (+ crap)

Agree it's a tradeoff if you want to buy a 4 bay or smaller NAS and to elaborate being slightly paranoid :hyper: I do give the iso treatment to reference discs like Hugo or Life of pi :queen: I also have an aversion to 3 or 4 dd5.1 lossy audio tracks and multiple foreign subtitles [the +crap ] that are useless to me so losing them with m2ts profile enables higher picture quality with the bandwidth set free :thumbsup:

The other thing is if you're into 3d the new 3d chipsets cant do full 3d iso menu's only what's called 3d lite so it doesn't playback as a disc would [ which some prefer as a perk of being an iso ] If you are happy with 2d this is of less consequence of course ..

It's good hdd space just keeps getting better value for sure ; I dont want to think about storing 4k movies that come on bd100's in the future :blink: For conversion time i find it makes all the difference the video card used for conversion . My intel i5 encodes /decodes/processes much quicker than my old amd athlon dual core [fab uses intel quick sync and it's quicker than dxva acceleration or software i had beforehand ] and it's only a laptop with 8g of ram so good enough ; and fab does batch conversion over night - not that Ive tried it . Don't buy a lot of discs though

Jack I would be looking at the specs of the unit. The rack vs pedestal versions will have more than just case changes. As Chopsus said there will most likely be a difference in processor, cooling and feature set differences. At the end of the day you want one feature (I assume you don't care about the other bells and whistles) and that is to serve you data. Therefore multiple NICs that can be teamed/aggregated is more important to you than having features like a built in ftp server etc. I personally would worry too much of a rack vs pedestal as long as I got the throughput I needed. Also I prefer a higher number of disks with smaller capacity than large capacity disks with less slots. The more platters you spread your data over the better the performance of the SAN/NAS. Since you have a rack you can put it on a shelf who really cares.

Makes perfect sense. Might go for the 8 bay pedestal at the very least and fill them up with 3tb drives. That should be plenty for a very long time.

With RAID 5 (data rendundancy) you lose the capacity of 1 disk . So total = (number of disks-1)* Disk capacity - so for 4 * 3TB drives you get - (4-1) *3=9TB

Chopsus - to keep is simple I am using Metric terabyte unit (10^12) not the TiB (104^4) - Most drives are advertisied this way. 1 TB is about 0.91 TiB

Windows reports both units.

I rip blurays to ISO format - generally 20-40 GB

Got it, makes sense now. Excuse the noobness, this will be my first NAS.....

Have to say a big thanks again to everyone for their feedback and great to see the expertise and generosity of the DTV community at work, will definitely be looking at the 8 bay Synology and will discuss other options with a few of the boys at the GTG this weekend.

Really surprised we haven't seen a greater deal of discussion around this earlier but certainly am happy with all the info that has come to the fore not only for myself but for others in this thread, I will undoubtedly be back in here asking questions even once I do get myself set up..........

Totally agree yorac, this has been very informative. Prior to this thread I had no idea how it worked and what's involved. Appreciate the comments made by all. I'm actually excited about buying my first NAS, although I'm a little concerned what's involved in setting it all up. Will have a chat with Blade/Buddhamus/Macca etc at the GTG this Saturday for more info.....

Agree it's a tradeoff if you want to buy a 4 bay or smaller NAS and to elaborate being slightly paranoid :hyper: I do give the iso treatment to reference discs like Hugo or Life of pi :queen: I also have an aversion to 3 or 4 dd5.1 lossy audio tracks and multiple foreign subtitles [the +crap ] that are useless to me so losing them with m2ts profile enables higher picture quality with the bandwidth set free :thumbsup:

The other thing is if you're into 3d the new 3d chipsets cant do full 3d iso menu's only what's called 3d lite so it doesn't playback as a disc would [ which some prefer as a perk of being an iso ] If you are happy with 2d this is of less consequence of course ..

It's good hdd space just keeps getting better value for sure ; I dont want to think about storing 4k movies that come on bd100's in the future :blink: For conversion time i find it makes all the difference the video card used for conversion . My intel i5 encodes /decodes/processes much quicker than my old amd athlon dual core [fab uses intel quick sync and it's quicker than dxva acceleration or software i had beforehand ] and it's only a laptop with 8g of ram so good enough ; and fab does batch conversion over night - not that Ive tried it . Don't buy a lot of discs though

Does m2ts allow for scene selection? Or does it only play movies from the start?

Makes perfect sense. Might go for the 8 bay pedestal at the very least and fill them up with 3tb drives. That should be plenty for a very long time.

I use Rack mount NAS and with Synology the comparative RS(rackstation) v DS(deskstation) models is generally identical. if you have a rack to mount it in a rackstation is much neater.

I use Rack mount NAS and with Synology the comparative RS(rackstation) v DS(deskstation) models is generally identical. if you have a rack to mount it in a rackstation is much neater.

Which one would be the comparative for the 8 bay DS1813? From what I can see on their site it goes from 4 bay to 10 bay.

Which one would be the comparative for the 8 bay DS1813? From what I can see on their site it goes from 4 bay to 10 bay.

With a rack unit you are pretty much starting at the 10 bay units (expandable to 22) this I think is more to do with the rack itself, ie 4 drives fit in 1u and 10-12 drives fit in 2u

Does m2ts allow for scene selection? Or does it only play movies from the start?

With dvdfab [no experience with anyhdvd ] you don't get a plethora of multiple frames to choose from at arbitrary points like some discs have on the main menu but you can set it to make auto stops at each chapter mark that's on the original disc and still end up with 1 file . This means that each chapter is loaded into the buffer automatically but this takes a few seconds . For this reason most good media players have a bar graph or similar and you just hold ff/rew for a second and your there . Whatever your happy with really ; I choose no split as I use the bar graph rarely and auto resume so no hunting anyway :)

bit of the dvdfab ripper tutorial ;

Split: Split the output files by the chapter marks of the original disc (or by output file size in some modes). This function will assign file names as specified and insert the chapter number in the filename in the format: Titlename.chapter01(02 etc.).filesuffix.

With a rack unit you are pretty much starting at the 10 bay units (expandable to 22) this I think is more to do with the rack itself, ie 4 drives fit in 1u and 10-12 drives fit in 2u

I really do like the rack mount setup, which one do you have out of curiosity?

With dvdfab [no experience with anyhdvd ] you don't get a plethora of multiple frames to choose from at arbitrary points like some discs have on the main menu but you can set it to make auto stops at each chapter mark that's on the original disc and still end up with 1 file . This means that each chapter is loaded into the buffer automatically but this takes a few seconds . For this reason most good media players have a bar graph or similar and you just hold ff/rew for a second and your there . Whatever your happy with really ; I choose no split as I use the bar graph rarely and auto resume so no hunting anyway :)

bit of the dvdfab ripper tutorial ;

Only reason I would prefer scene selection is for demos, trying to find certain scenes would be easier I think. I guess you could always setup an 'Ultimate Demo' file, where you crop certain scenes from various movies, have it stored in a separate file for easy and fast access. Can this be done?

That's a good reason to compress . I cant pick the difference between a main movie that's been compressed by fab to say 12gbs with a lossless track and the full iso :) I just did a 3d life of pi main movie iso that was 35.4gb . If you did a full 3d iso - say prometheus or the avengers 45gb is more like it :no: most titles I compress to m2ts ; chapter playback can be worked around :yes:

Considering a dvd can be around 4/5 gb you can see how much slack there is to play with ..

And if Prometheus extracted to 45Gig then that's 45Gig I'd want back quick smart :)

Blade

Only reason I would prefer scene selection is for demos, trying to find certain scenes would be easier I think. I guess you could always setup an 'Ultimate Demo' file, where you crop certain scenes from various movies, have it stored in a separate file for easy and fast access. Can this be done?

Or you could copy my HT Demo 2.0 BD Demo disk which features some great material!

Blade

Hi guys thought i would chime in

recently got a Thecus N4200ECO with 4 x WD 3TB Red Drives. Cost just over $1000 at the time.

Do many of you guys run your setups in Raid? Right now i am running in Raid10 and obviously as a result my 12TB is now 6TB (or less when you take into consideration the header space)

Running PLEX Media Server which can access via Samsung Smart TV and the Oppo BDP93. So far no issues with anything i thrown at it.

Still need to get around setting up other apps like SabNZB, Couch Potato to name a few.

Now I am not sure if this is allowed by forum rules or not but I am more than happy to source Synology NAS units at wholesale pricing. We have accounts with all major distributors. More than happy to pass them on at cost as per the invoice from the suppliers. If we had an idication of what people wanted and we could keep it to a particular unit then I could aproach them and see if we could get a bigger discount especially if we populated them with drives as well. No skin off my nose either way. Might put a resellers nose out of joint though especially if they are passed on at invoice......

I just checked and there is literally not much margin in the small units but the larger units there is definately a difference between cost and rrp eg:

DS412 634.81 RRP 779.10

DS1813 1023.33 RRP 1255.9

DS2411 1298.33 RRP 1428.3

The above prices are from one distributor I havent checked the others so pricing might not be flash from these guys......

If its all too hard then I withdraw the offer :), if its against forum rules etc I withdraw and apologise for even suggesting it (might be regreting opening my mouth). I will say it again I have nothing to gain from this other than potential headaches this is not our core business we left hardware years ago - funny enough no margin in it any more.

those prices seem to be around what the cheaper computer stores sell them for retail. At least the DS 412, i havent checked the others as i wasnt interested in the other larger ones. I think some of your other distributors may be better.

I dont think its against forum rules but i could be wrong? Its like a GB i presume.

Shouldn't be any problem with the forum rules as you are not commercially advertising anything, and if they were that strict on it Webbsy would be banned for life.

Nothing wrong with it, again as it is not breaching any commercial guidlines on advertising..............

and the effort is appreciated Arthur............

I recently went media player for convenience, actually primarily for my largish multichannel audio and video music collection, being able to jukebox songs/tracks easily without finding and loading discs. Of course it's the same hardware and you have movies and TV Series too.

I plumped for a Synology DS413 which is a 4 bay but decided to go without array. I now have 4 x 3Tb Reds in the NAS and for backup I have 3 x 3Tb greens in a 1:1 backup (I.e. NAS drive 1 backed up on Backup disc 1 etc). The last drive is not being used yet. Advantage is you can easily add drives 1 at a time very quickly. Start with a NAS and only 1 or 2 drives. Then add as required.

The issue with RAID is it is not 100% cover for all disasters and yet it still 'wastes' 1 drive and you still need external backup. So bugger it just use all NAS drives as discs so I have 12Tb of space and have backups of each drive. Additional benefit is that as I fill my NAS drives I only need to backup once since my TV Series 1 disc is static, just backup and don't backup again unless I delete and change contents (I don't plan on that for a while). Easy to manage backup just one drive at a time. (I manage backups properly on a large RAID is a pain in the butt). Most users don't bother, then one day kaput!

So my plan above meant I needed a smaller NAS and I have 100% redundancy at a reasonable cost.

For Media player I went Mede8er 1000X3D which also has an internal 3.5" drive bay. This thing plays all HD files and audio codec perfectly but no one selling here in AU now. They are about $220 USD I think. Has nice iPad remote interface and about to get an internal 'scraper' which is software to fetch movie/TV series meta data, fan art, disc cover art etc from the internet for navigation, info, searching etc.

Warning1: I spent many $$$ trying to get HD streaming over wifi. It didn't work. In the end ran a new CAT6 cable to my home Theater system and works perfectly.

Warning 2: It takes many, many hours to rip 12Tb of material. Spend it doing something constructive (and remember to back it up. You won't want to do it again!)

Edited by HomerJ

For Media player I went Mede8er 1000X3D which also has an internal 3.5" drive bay. This thing plays all HD files and audio codec perfectly but no one selling here in AU now.

Dual Voltage ???

The closest you could do for this would be individual chapters [ if its a rough idea what you want ?] then drag and drop to a master file ; this is the old version 8 of fab but the same parameters in version 9 are there ;)

> Title Start/End Settings

Custom chapter range for conversion. To convert just one chapter for a test, set the begin and end chapters with the drop down menu.

Blu-ray-to-Mobile-3.jpeg

And if Prometheus extracted to 45Gig then that's 45Gig I'd want back quick smart :)

For sure mate ; I set the bitrate so if a 3d is around 25gb I can rationalize it better :frantics:

Dual Voltage ???

They have an external power supply and being sold into AU I would expect it to come with 240V ps. I bought mine locally but that mob decided to sell Dune only. There is an older model that is very similar in capabilities, with just a non-3D chipset (which you don't need Yorac :)) selling from them now: http://gadgetshoponline.com.au/media-players/mede8er-400x2s-high-definition-multimedia-player.html

It doesn't have the internal scraper but at that price is worth it as a try out. Ex demo for $95.

Actually the newer 800X3D is the best of the bunch as it has a square box container with front controls and takes 3.5" HDD. Mine is a footy shape with top controls, not so good for rack use.

I seriously thought about becoming the AU agent for Mede8er... They are very nice.

You can get most models from this mob in US: http://www.mediaconceptusa.com/mede8er.html

Forgot to add the other reason I went for the DS413 is its class leading low power consumption of 35W.

$519 at cpl, you can do a pickup: http://www.cplonline.com.au/synology-ds413-4-bay-standard-series-nas.html

Actually they are $495 at GadgetShopOnline the mob I bought my Mede8er from, pickup in MEL.

I'm a power Nazi. I have 3.6kW solar inverter. Just got my winter elect bill today. $60 for 3 months. In one year since switching to REd Energy (4 bills) my total bill in $1054 in credit. Yes, I got 12 months free electricity and they paid me $1050! Unfortunately that will go on my gas bill ;(

Edited by HomerJ