A Black Spot Problem With My Samsung Smart Tv

Hi there, guys :-).

FYI, first time poster here; so please go easy on me if I've screwed something up ;-).

I recently purchased a Samsung 60Inch SMART TV (Series 8), and I've noticed a small cluster (spot) of blackness on the screen. Now, it doesn't bother me too much, so I'm not too fussed about getting another one on warranty, but I am worried about the spot either growing darker, or slowly spreading to other parts of the TV.

Does anyone know if there is a way for me to fix this problem, or if the spot will grow darker or spread?

Many Thanks

- Darkphoenix

P.S. Here's a picture:

photomm.jpg

There's every chance that a bit of use will see the dimming disappear. However there's also a possibility it will get worse over time. Most likely it will stay as is.

Its interesting in that it doesn't appear to be burnt out pixels but just a slight localised dimming? The warranty will probably specifically make mention of bad pixels (mostly excluding warranty if its just a few) however dimming would probably be covered by warranty.

Presumably, you've got at least a years warranty and its not all that important if you act on it now or in nine months time. The exception being most retailers will simply swap over a TV within a week or so of purchase, no questions asked. While after that you have to go through the warranty process.

Either way, I'd probably call the retailer and warranty provider (Samsung?) and have them log the potential issue. They might also offer to send out someone to have a look.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

There's every chance that a bit of use will see the dimming disappear. However there's also a possibility it will get worse over time. Most likely it will stay as is.

Its interesting in that it doesn't appear to be burnt out pixels but just a slight localised dimming? The warranty will probably specifically make mention of bad pixels (mostly excluding warranty if its just a few) however dimming would probably be covered by warranty.

Presumably, you've got at least a years warranty and its not all that important if you act on it now or in nine months time. The exception being most retailers will simply swap over a TV within a week or so of purchase, no questions asked. While after that you have to go through the warranty process.

Either way, I'd probably call the retailer and warranty provider (Samsung?) and have them log the potential issue. They might also offer to send out someone to have a look.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks a lot for the reply, Peter.

I've just gotten off the phone with Samsung, and they've given me two things to do before they send someone out. Those things were to reset the the TV, and then to update the firmware. I'm going to try both those things when I get home from work, but I have a funny feeling that this issue is related to the hardware as opposed to the TVs software (just a hunch). I really hope it fixes the issue... Anyways, I'll post an update ASAP.

Thanks again, guys. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: Here's another photo of the issue (this one is arguably clearer):

photo-3.jpg

Edited by Darkphoenix

Hardware would be my guess too. I assume you've ruled out dirt? A light buff with a tissue on the area doesn't alter the shadow?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I cleaned the area really well. I wish it was dirt, but alas, it unfortunately isn't.

So, I think what's going to happen is the following: I'll update the firmware and reset the TV to factory settings.

None of that will work.

I'll call Samsung and hope they send someone out.

From there, I have no idea what they do. I hope they just send a guy or girl out who'll look at it and simply say we'll send you a new one... I doubt it's that easy, though.

I honestly don't know how good Samsung is with customer service and replacements. I don't even know what their procedure is.

Edited by Darkphoenix

UPDATE: I did everything Samsung asked of me. I updated the firmware, and I reset the set.

No Dice.

So, I called back today, and they've decided to send one of their technicians out to take a look. I really hope it's fixable; I don't want to take the bloody thing off of the wall.

Wish me luck

Very big chance (100%) it will have to be taken off the wall. Had similar problem, but worse, mine was the power board, sent the pixels all different colours due to low voltage. Very easily fixed once they find out which board has gone wrong. Disappointed when they took the back off, nothing there, just 3 circuit boards and a few wires. I recon it wouldn't cost them more than $50 to make and them in Aust., money must be in R&D.

Samsung was excellent with their service and warranty claim, biggest hassle was organising the technician.

• 7 months later...

UPDATE: I did everything Samsung asked of me. I updated the firmware, and I reset the set.

No Dice.

So, I called back today, and they've decided to send one of their technicians out to take a look. I really hope it's fixable; I don't want to take the bloody thing off of the wall.

Wish me luck

Hi, so how did it go? My TV is only 2 month new and it has the same problem. I wonder what happened after the technician came to check your TV?

Thanks!

Power supply problem. Had the same thing.

Very big chance (100%) it will have to be taken off the wall. Had similar problem, but worse, mine was the power board, sent the pixels all different colours due to low voltage. Very easily fixed once they find out which board has gone wrong. Disappointed when they took the back off, nothing there, just 3 circuit boards and a few wires. I recon it wouldn't cost them more than $50 to make and them in Aust., money must be in R&D.

Samsung was excellent with their service and warranty claim, biggest hassle was organising the technician.

Had the same problem, but mine is a series 5, 64" Smart 3D TV. Samsung excellent with warranty, slight problem organising technician, but once he had the part it only took 10 minutes to change. All done in house.

Your right about nothing to these things, cost must be in the R&D. The Chinamen must punch them out for only a few $$$.

• 7 months later...

Had the same issue with a black/smokey spot in the picture, but mine was right out of the box. Contacted Samsung and they said it was damaged in shipping and I'd have to send it back and they don't send out repair technicians for that. Just an FYI. I assume it's just a warranty thing if it's in a certain amount of time, just just want the dealer to deal with it. I bet if I wait a month or 2 and tell them the exactly same thing they'd send someone out.