Another Dual Screen Concept

Here is a dual screen concept that I have not seen disused.

A scope screen of the desired width mounted on a black background so the projected black bars above and below the scope image are absorbed, and a 16:9 screen the same width that drops down in front of it. This provides a full size image for both scope and 16:9, the same pixel density and image quality for both scope and 16:9, plus there is no need to zoom or mask.

Edited by Owen

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No masking required and very simple to implement.

For those who are not interested in masking to deal with projected black bars a single 16:9 works just fine and does the same job.

Bluray video is CIW, like it or not.

Edited by Owen

Highjinx has a similar concept, except he has a 16:9 motorised screen. However, when watching a scope movie, he moves the screen up so the bottom black bar goes off the bottom of the screen, then he has a motorised blind to cover the top two black bars if that makes any sense. This gives CIW.

Then, he has a 2nd 16:9 screen behind the first one and he has factored in the angle and distance from the viewer so it give a CIH as compared to the scope image on the front screen.

So in summary, he can have CIW or CIH with two screens a motorised blind.

Edited by timhet

Not everyone has the inclination or skill to implement and install masking, especially horizontal masking. Masking systems can also be awkward to use and unsightly (poor WAF) while fancy commercial systems come at a cost.

The proposed dual screen setup is not the cheapest option but it is very simple and easy to install, should look neat and would be dead easy to use and automate. Just push one button for 16:9 and one button for scope. There are no projector settings to alter making it simpler than an A-lens setup which requires the projector to be set to normal mode for 16:9 and anamorphic mode for scope, which normally requires entering the projectors menu system to switch. Again poor WAF.

Edited by Owen

Put your thinking cap on and come up with one mate. :D

There are less costly ways of achieving the same result, but I cant think of any that competes on ease of installation, simplicity and ease of use.

Well I had 'invented' such a screen some time ago called 'the flip screen'.

Essentially it was a 16:9 screen on one side and a 21:9 on the other.

Both screens could be solid but rotated on a pivot each end and supported by a wooden frame. It was easily movable and easy to position correctly.

All it needed was a few feet behind it for it to rotate the screens ( much like a rotissoire does,but a single turn to select the screen needed).

Very quick to change screen formats once positioned.

It was nothing more complicated than that. It could easily be dismantled too for transport.

Edit: Being proud of the wall behind it gave a sense of an image floating in space but correct alignment is needed to prevent the overspill of light onto the wall behind. A very black background emphasizes the image as well.

Off course being movable, the screen can be placed on a patio for parties etc. It really is a DIY project and very simple to build with a little effort and imagination.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

How about grow a pair and tell the wife stiff! Its done your way or she knows where the kitchen is...

Scope screen, A-Lens, side masking, press the remote button to change it back and forth which is real hard obviously!

Well I had 'invented' such a screen some time ago called 'the flip screen'.

Essentially it was a 16:9 screen on one side and a 21:9 on the other.

Both screens could be solid but rotated on a pivot each end and supported by a wooden frame. It was easily movable and easy to position correctly.

All it needed was a few feet behind it for it to rotate the screens ( much like a rotissoire does,but a single turn to select the screen needed).

Very quick to change screen formats once positioned.

It was nothing more complicated than that. It could easily be dismantled too for transport.

Edit: Being proud of the wall behind it gave a sense of an image floating in space but correct alignment is needed to prevent the overspill of light onto the wall behind. A very black background emphasizes the image as well.

Off course being movable, the screen can be placed on a patio for parties etc. It really is a DIY project and very simple to build with a little effort and imagination.

C.M

I dont claim to have "invented" anything, but what I have proposed here sits almost flat against a wall and requires only a single button push to change aspect ratios, thats quite different to what you have just outlined.

How about grow a pair and tell the wife stiff! Its done your way or she knows where the kitchen is...

Scope screen, A-Lens, side masking, press the remote button to change it back and forth which is real hard obviously!

I am not limited by my wife's likes or dislikes as she has no input into what I do in the big boys toy room and never will. I also dont care about simple one button operation or automation of any kind, and dont mind the fabrication work required to create masking or the effort required to operate it. However many people have different requirements that the setup I propose addresses very well.

An A-lens is an unnecessary expense and has negative effects on image quality as any extra lens in the optical path must have, and side masking does not install or remove its self.

Your 16:9 image is also 30% smaller which is a totally unacceptable compromise as far as I am concerned, as is running 16:9 through an A-Lens.

If you dont want the top and bottom 15% of a 16:9 image copped off you have to switch the projector out of anamorphic stretch mode and move the A-Lens out of the light path.

What I have proposed here eliminates all that.

Edited by Owen

This could work. It is awfully easy to simply move a screen up or down at the touch of a button. And purchasing an additional screen would be no more expensive than implementing a motorised masking system, I'm sure. As always, there are many options and this is simply another one.

Whatever floats your boat.

As timht said.....

My set up works perfectly for me.............no black bars ever(except 4:3)..........if the encode is sub par the smaller screen can be called upon.....it's CIH/CIW/CIA.......it's flexible.

Gotta admit I do like tinkering!

Here is a dual screen concept that I have not seen disused.

A scope screen of the desired width mounted on a black background so the projected black bars above and below the scope image are absorbed, and a 16:9 screen the same width that drops down in front of it. This provides a full size image for both scope and 16:9, the same pixel density and image quality for both scope and 16:9, plus there is no need to zoom or mask.

One can do this with one motorised screen with top masking.....see my twin screen clip.

One can do this with one motorised screen with top masking.....see my twin screen clip.

people probably dont realise this but for those whom hate black bars this is probably THE simplest masking means. as requires only one screen and one edge masked :)

its something I seriously considered prior to putting in my screen as way of masking but once had screen and pj setup up and going soon realised black bars and masking really wasnt a concern for me. I understand they can be a bother for others but for me I find I just watch the movie rather than the borders :)

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1370056189' post='1889567]

people probably dont realise this but for those whom hate black bars this is probably THE simplest masking means. as requires only one screen and one edge masked :)

its something I seriously considered prior to putting in my screen as way of masking but once had screen and pj setup up and going soon realised black bars and masking really wasnt a concern for me. I understand they can be a bother for others but for me I find I just watch the movie rather than the borders :)

Annoys the heck out of me.....having a high gain screen doesn't help.

But masked it's an image that floats in the air!......I keep the screen fully dropped and mask the top if the movie has sub titles.

With dual masking (horizontal and vertical) and a really large 16:9 screen people can have whatever size and aspect ratio they desire, thats the ultimate setup as far as I am concerned.

However, if people want an automated masking system that is simple to install and requires only a single button push to operate, what is commercially available, where can it be obtained and how much does it cost?

Edited by Owen

That's fine for the DYIers out there, I am one. But for many people the DIY approach is not an option or too much of a pain to contemplate, many more people want automation and a neat appearance to keep the wife happy.

Even for a top only making system, what is available, where from and how much?

There are drop down screens with an adjustable top mask, maybe they are price competitive with a dual screen and maybe not.

Edited by Owen