Onkyo Receiver (Loud Noise Then Standby Mode) - Audio Spike?

I have an Onkyo SR605 Receiver which I've owned since new (about 5 years). It's been rock solid but last night it was having issues. It made a loud noise (made me jump up and say WTF) and went to Standby mode and the red standby light was flashing - I assume this was a safety thing to protect itself? I turned back on and it was fine, about 20mins later the same thing happened again. Later in the night I had the volume low (in case the loud noise happened again). On lower volume it did not go into standby mode but the audo just cut off. This happened twice. Now, thie interetsing bit is this all happened when I was watching 7mate. Is it possible the Dolby audio signal being broadcast for 7mate spiked? The reason I ask is because I turned to Gem (because also Dolby) to test it. On Gem for about an hour and nothing went wrong. Still testing today, hopefully my Receiver isn't on the way out. Today I've been playing music loud (on Pure Audo setting) for 2 hours non-stop and it hasn't missed a beat. I will continue testing, trying surround, etc. I have a 5.1 Jamo speaker system - I've looked at the connections to the speakers and all looks fine. Any help much appreciated.

I'd be surprised if it was the broadcast signal causing the issue.

Did you have any appliances running at the time? Not unusual for older stuff with high current draws to start making some electrical noise they go through an operating cycle and cause issues with AV gear on the same circuit.

So it is 7mate sending dodgy audio or it's being corrupted due to some signal loss?

The picture is fine and the audio sounds crystal clear before this happens.

Likely due to corrupted signal. I hear it often on my TV when there is corruption. Generally a loud and higher pitched bang.

I used to get loud popping with channel seven and my old JVC Reciever that only had optical digital connections.

Almost an electrical crack or snap noise.

Edited by Guest

Weird issue. So if I watch 7mate (which is not much) I will just watch without the receiver on. I will do further testing on the other channels that use Dolby Digital to confirm it's only that channel but at the moment it looks like it. If so, great news, my receiver is still okay!.. which amazes me - it heats up a lot (yes, I have plenty of room for it to breath). Given how much call of duty I play it's certainly been a work horse.

I'd be surprised if it was the broadcast signal causing the issue.

Did you have any appliances running at the time? Not unusual for older stuff with high current draws to start making some electrical noise they go through an operating cycle and cause issues with AV gear on the same circuit.

thats cause you never get it as you have perfect reception!

thats cause you never get it as you have perfect reception!

reminds me of a while back. I have line of sight of the towers and perfect reception. and then one day yep bit of break up here on their certain channels. and yeah the odd squelch of sound. can be quite loud and sharp. and a bit like what OP describes.

I got an antenna guy out finally as was driving me nuts. and turned out one of the bars on our antenna had completely broken off...not sure whether birds or wind or whatever. anyways new antenna and never had the problem ever again :)

I've had those sharp high pitched sounds come through at times. It wasn't that sound though, it was a deep sound like a bomb going off. Enough to force my receiver to go into standby mode to protect itself.

Does 7mate broadcast in a higher audio bitrate to Gem, One? That could explain it.

So improving reception could eliminate this corrupt audio that occasionally comes through? I guess I'll get someone to look at my antenna.

• 3 weeks later...

I quite often get that on some of the channels when we have severely cloudy or rainy weather. My reception dies. I think in my case its definitely and antenna issue but as i am in a rental the likelihood of getting it repaired (as it looks ok there on the roof) is about zero.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same thing happen on my onkyo recently made such a loud bang scared the life out of me & then the red flashing standy light. I thought it had blown up & checked the manual which it tells to disconnect everything & then turn the volume up to full & then down again. It didn't do it again & as I just had a new antenna installed so everything was pulled out of the wall plates I can only assume I must have re connected the speakers to the wrong input from the wall plate. So check your speaker wire

• 5 years later...

• 5 months later...

I've had the same issue crop up in the last few weeks. When watching something with gun fire, the amp drops out after the gun shot. Using the optical connection from my TV. Made sure the connections were clear of dust. Will check my speaker wire, but they haven't been move in the two years we've lived here.

• 6 months later...

Bought the Onkyo Tx-nr686 in November 2019, after about three weeks it  started with the  loud intermittent  squealing. Tried to contact the Onkyo Priority Customer support line,  (800-229-1687), only to find its been discontinued. Went to the web, entered my info, waiting on call back. 01/0820.