Panasonic To Kill Off Plasma

Just to clarify a few points that have been disused here.

First, there is no such thing as a "LED" TV, LED TV's are simply LCD TV's with a LED light source in place of a conventional cold cathode fluorescent lamp that has been around since the inception of LCD displays.

There are two kinds of LED lighting, edge lit (the norm these days as it allows a much slimmer panel) and back lit. Back lite provides slightly better black level uniformity in a dark room due to more even lighting but does not alter the overall image as that is dictated by the LCD panel and its feed processing. In a non dark environment edge lit and back lit look the same.

LED lighting does not improve contrast ratio in any way, contrast ratio is dictated by the the LCD panel alone.

LED LCD TV's may provide better black level measurements in reviews but thats just because of how the measurements are taken. LED LCD's use very aggressive dynamic dimming to obtain better contrast ratio measurements, but dynamic dimming is a form of distortion. In low average picture level scenes (dark scenes) the light source is dimmed which does make blacks darker BUT makes EVERYTHING darker at the same time, shadow detail is crushed and the black level floats alarmingly which I find unacceptable.

Local dimming has been used on a few models to improve performance , but LCD just cannot match undistorted and much more linear response of Plasma which does not need such tricks.

LCD and Plasma create light in completely different ways and the spectral content of the primary colours is also different. Calibration does not look at the spectral content of colours, just their peak value and axis.

No matter how much you "calibrate" and how perfect the calibration results LCD and Plasma have a different look and always will.

You cant simply dim down an LCD to make it look like a Plasma. When dimmed down for dim to dark room viewing LCD's look flat, 2 dimensional and lifeless compared to Plasma IMHO.

What the individual considers "better" is dominated by personal preference. Those who like the LCD look are unlikely to notice or appreciate the subtle differences in performance that separate Plasma displays from LCD.

The popular choice is not "better" its just more popular. Most people are perfectelly happy with low bit rate MP3 audio and cheap sound systems or earphones while audiophiles find them unacceptable.

As long as people are happy with what they have or can buy its all good, the problem comes when those who aren't have their purchase options limited due to non popular options being phased out.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify a few points that have been disused here.

First, there is no such thing as a "LED" TV, LED TV's are simply LCD TV's with a LED light source in place of a conventional cold cathode fluorescent lamp that has been around since the inception of LCD displays.

There are two kinds of LED lighting, edge lit (the norm these days as it allows a much slimmer panel) and back lit. Back lite provides slightly better black level uniformity in a dark room due to more even lighting but does not alter the overall image as that is dictated by the LCD panel and its feed processing. In a non dark environment edge lit and back lit look the same.

LED lighting does not improve contrast ratio in any way, contrast ratio is dictated by the the LCD panel alone.

LED LCD TV's may provide better black level measurements in reviews but thats just because of how the measurements are taken. LED LCD's use very aggressive dynamic dimming to obtain better contrast ratio measurements, but dynamic dimming is a form of distortion. In low average picture level scenes (dark scenes) the light source is dimmed which does make blacks darker BUT makes EVERYTHING darker at the same time, shadow detail is crushed and the black level floats alarmingly which I find unacceptable.

Local dimming has been used on a few models to improve performance , but LCD just cannot match undistorted and much more linear response of Plasma which does not need such tricks.

LCD and Plasma create light in completely different ways and the spectral content of the primary colours is also different. Calibration does not look at the spectral content of colours, just their peak value and axis.

No matter how much you "calibrate" and how perfect the calibration results LCD and Plasma have a different look and always will.

You cant simply dim down an LCD to make it look like a Plasma. When dimmed down for dim to dark room viewing LCD's look flat, 2 dimensional and lifeless compared to Plasma IMHO.

What the individual considers "better" is dominated by personal preference. Those who like the LCD look are unlikely to notice or appreciate the subtle differences in performance that separate Plasma displays from LCD.

The popular choice is not "better" its just more popular. Most people are perfectelly happy with low bit rate MP3 audio and cheap sound systems or earphones while audiophiles find them unacceptable.

As long as people are happy with what they have or can buy its all good, the problem comes when those who aren't have their purchase options limited due to non popular options being phased out.

Yes - well put. I would add just one more thing..........IMHO plasma's handle poor quality source video better than LCD

You cant simply dim down an LCD to make it look like a Plasma.

With certain models, to an extent, yes you can.

Those who like the LCD look are unlikely to notice or appreciate the subtle differences in performance that separate Plasma displays from LCD.

Rubbish, get off ya high horse.

The popular choice is not "better" its just more popular.

No one said LCD is better... but alot of people here have said plasma is better, and that is not always the case. You don't actually have one do you?

...non popular options being phased out.

Yup, making way for OLED mate, OLED. :D;)

JSmith :ninja:

With certain models, to an extent, yes you can.

Any LCD can be dimmed down, thats not the problem, it's the image quality that results that I'm not happy with.

Rubbish, get off ya high horse.

It clear you don’t see what I and others do in Plasma and are a self confessed LCD fanboy so I don’t expect you to understand what I'm on about.

We ride different horses that are not even in the same paddock.

No one said LCD is better... but alot of people here have said plasma is better, and that is not always the case. You don't actually have one do you?

To each their own, one mans meat is another mans poison.

No I don’t and have never owned a Plasma TV as you well know. I'm a Samsung LCD owner, but thankfully I don’t have the view it any more than casually as I find it and the smaller no name LED LCD in the house very ordinary. Only good things I can say about the Samsung is its deinterlacing and scaling is very good and it can be viewed in direct sun light.

I don’t like viewing in a bright environment and if I needed to buy a flat screen TV for my own use it would be a Plasma. Only reason I never purchased a Plasma is the 65” size limit, just not big enough. However, if my main 70” Sony TV where to fail I would go with a Plasma and take the drop in size over a larger LCD. I know I would never be happy with an LCD and others who have had to replace their Sony SXRD TV's have also discovered that LCD is a poor substitute.

Yup, making way for OLED mate, OLED.

OLED has yet to prove its self, way to early to tell how it various incarnations will perform.

I suspect it will take some time to mature even after its release, just like every other display technology.

Edited by Owen

It clear you don’t see what I and others do in Plasma and are a self confessed LCD fanboy so I don’t expect you to understand what I'm on about.

That's the thing Owen I do "appreciate and notice" the pro's of plasma... I also notice the con's. To say that people who also appreciate LCD's cannot see what plasma has to offer was a bit rude TBH... I am certainly no "fanboy", I appreciate the merits of both tech.'s. As we have discussed many times, both have their problems... but compared to what we had 20 years ago, screens are now huge and excellent.

JSmith :ninja:

Not good. I was going to buy a 65" panasonic plasma in a few years time once I have enough money to get one to replace my 42" panasonic plasma. Maybe I'll have to get one on credit late next year if they're still available.

Not good. I was going to buy a 65" panasonic plasma in a few years time once I have enough money to get one to replace my 42" panasonic plasma. Maybe I'll have to get one on credit late next year if they're still available.

I wouldnt stress dig, just keep ear to the ground :)

Either way though, it's sad to see a major player in the market pretty much conclude there's no future in developing any further.

Did the same thing happen with CRTs - did they plateau and lose development, or was there always some innovation happening?

Either way though, it's sad to see a major player in the market pretty much conclude there's no future in developing any further.

Did the same thing happen with CRTs - did they plateau and lose development, or was there always some innovation happening?

Samsung have the new F series models up on their Australlian web site - note that there are only 4 plasma models and no high or mid range 51" plasmas. I think its something similar with LGs - slowly but surely plasma appears to be getting "killed off"

Manufacture of major parts generally stops when each year model range is replaced with new models. So it really makes no difference if Plasma or LCD TV's are continued to be manufactured or not, once each model years TV's are discontinued, parts manufacture for those models stops.

I think, Owen, you are speaking about specific circuit boards for a TV model or models sharing similar circuit design going out of production.

These days, TV repair is largely about 'Plug & Play' with circuit boards rather than 'chase the fault' in the old CRT's. That game is over.

It is one of the reasons why 'Plug & Play' can be so expensive when a major fault appears. This sort of leads one to thinking about extended warranties when such costs are involved in repair.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

You seem to have misunderstood what I was getting at.

Normally little if any circuit boards, power supplies etc are used in consecutive models. So when just about any TV goes out of production the parts held in stock at the time production stopped are all there will ever be. Therefore, if Plasma TV production ceased tomorrow, owners will be no worse of, as far as spare parts are concerned, than a current model LCD TV owner.

Edited by Owen

How many years would they keep parts for?

Not sure if it's the same as a car, but I had a faulty electric window on my 9 year old car. Fortunately was able to be repaired without a need to visit the spare parts bin, but the quote was ~$900 for a new electric window mechanism. I suppose cars are different 'cause they still could be well worth repairing after 10 years so more spares are manufactured during their usual 5-10 year life cycle. Plus I guess, many parts are common across different models (and possibly manufacturers)...so I guess in this post I kinda answered my own question as I was typing?

• 5 months later...

Now I am glad I bought my Panny Plasma early this year. Never considered buying a LCD , so I guess my next TV will be an OLED ( if they ever come out and come down in price)

+1

Sadly the bright lollipop in store appearance of the "make believe" LED or LCD TV has won over the mass market .

Edited by MRCRIST

+1

Sadly the bright lollipop in store appearance of the "make believe" LED or LCD TV has won over the mass market .

HERE, HERE......... well said, the discerning and articulate eye will always lose out to the needs of the mass market morons..................

50" PZ800A owner and proud.......

Edited by bob bobson