Panasonic To Kill Off Plasma

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha ha, yes the smelly digit, I've read that pany recommend 7cm away from the wall otherwise there may be heating issues and that could void warranty, how they would know though. I don't think a rep or the like would visit to see if you breached the distance :no:

Yeah, Panny do recommend a 7cm gap. I purchased this bracket from Selby.

http://www.selby.com...t-plb131xl.html

Actually went in store and picked it up for $20. Outstanding value as it comes with a HDMI cable. If you look on the specs for this bracket, it mentions that the tv will sit 50mm from the wall. Included in the package are 20mm spacers which I attached to the plasma, thus taking the distance from the wall to 7cm. I figured I will err on the side of caution and install it at 7cm. I haven't actually mounted it on the bracket as yet as I'm in the midst of setting it up, but I believe the gap from the wall to the tv might end up looking great as it will have a floating type of effect. That's my theory anyway ;) Might attach a photo when its all set up so you can get an idea of how it looks like.

I was contemplating buying the current Sony 65 inch 4K or waiting for this years 4K models to arrive, I'm so glad I purchased the VT, picture quality is phenomenal with bluray and HD content. As expected, FTA is fairly average. The only dissapointment, but this was expected, are the internal tv speakers. They are woefully inadequate. Be afraid, be very afraid, the tv speakers are that awful. It's a moot point for me as I've hooked up the tv to my AVR so watch and listen to content through my dedicated speakers.

All in all, I'm one happy camper. If you're on the fence about whether to purchase the last of the (reputable) plasmas, the VT will not dissapoint.

Cheers

Edited by Overlytaxed

Happened to spot a TH65VT60 at JB in Moore Park Sydney today. I don't know what they've done to it, but it looked horrible! No other tv in there was using the same source, and all the others looked pretty good. Almost like they were deliberately trying NOT to sell it. The massive 4k Samsung looked spectacular, but for $40k it would want to!

Blonk

I did look at the settings on avs, one thing i did do is drop the contrast, it was up at the 67 on the 48 inch we have, looks alot better now, its now around the 47 i think, changed the colour as well. oranges are better instead of looking tangerine, the reason i had it up that high was for gaming but even this looks better now. I ended up getting a pair of 15 deg tilts from cable chick for both, our 48 inch and the new 65vt, the vt will be shallow recessed in the wall

• 1 month later...

Anyone had much experience viewing 3D on the VT60? I've tested out a few discs and when they work well, they look fantastic but I am having an issue with cross-talk.

On all the discs I've viewed I get instances where the image ghosts quite bad that it hurts my eyes. My wife sees this also. I am running in THX Cinema 3D mode. I've tried both 100hz and 120hz with no effect. I read on a US site that 96hz mode works best but we don't have that available! Anyone having similar issues?

I am really pleased with my vt60 so far. This is my 2nd panasonic plasma tv and it performs way better than my g10, e.g. If I display a full HD black image (all RGB values set to 0) on the vt60, there is no difference that I can see between this black image and the tv being off, with the g10, the pixels are still lit up resulting in a grey* image, not a black image. Also my vt60 has very much no image retention problems, I can watch a full length movie with black bars and there'll usually be no evidence of any image retention afterwards, if ever there is image retention, a few minutes of the built in slides and it's gone, my g10 however, if I watch something with black bars, I end up with image retention that is somewhat stubborn and takes perhaps an hour to go away with 16:9 content.

Definitely worth the $3,499 I paid for it.

*incase you're wondering, I've tried reducing brightness to no avail.

*incase you're wondering, I've tried reducing brightness to no avail.

Do you mean you reduced the brightness of the TV via the contrast control or you turned down the brightness control?

Turning down the brightness control adjusts black level not white level and will just crush shadows. It has stuff all effect on image retention.

Turning down the contrast control lowers the peak output of the TV (lowers the white level) and definitely does affect IR. In fact IR risk is directly proportional to peak output ( setting of the contrast control).

Since I use modest contrast settings I have seen absolutely zero sign of IR on my VT60 and Ive never used any slides, built in or other wise, nor have I followed any run in procedure.

Edited by Owen

Turned down the brightness control to no avail and turning contrast down with no avail. As I was never able to adjust contrast to get test images to show as they were supposed to (e.g. disney pixar movie test images), I left contrast at it's default level, I was in cinema mode which the default setting is 60.

On my VT60, I'm using the settings you posted earlier in this thread. No IR issues and perfect blacks.

P.s. my earlier post wasn't intended to be read as a 'help' post, but rather a review indicating how much better my VT60 is in comparison to my G10. (To my eyes)

Edited by digitalj

No more Plasma but there IS hope. The LED they showed at CES, now has a model number and they were confident enough to put it beside the ZT Plasma. Let's hope it comes to Australia. http:/www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ax900-201403243688.htm

Edited by miata

Panasonic can claim whatever they like about their upcoming LCD line (what would you expect them to do) but their claims were met with universal skepticism at CES, and for good reason.

Dynamic dimming systems are no substitute for high native contrast, and Plasma has other attributes that set it apart from LCD.

Turned down the brightness control to no avail and turning contrast down with no avail. As I was never able to adjust contrast to get test images to show as they were supposed to (e.g. disney pixar movie test images), I left contrast at it's default level, I was in cinema mode which the default setting is 60.

Is this for the G10?

I'm not familiar with the Disney test images, but what test image did not show correctly?

On my VT60, I'm using the settings you posted earlier in this thread. No IR issues and perfect blacks.

I'm confused, didn't you say "I can watch a full length movie with black bars and there'll usually be no evidence of any image retention afterwards, if ever there is image retention, a few minutes of the built in slides and it's gone". That suggests that there is some IR, which is interesting as I have yet to see any.

Since my settings post I have moved to viewing movies in total darkness with Contrast set to 10 and Gamma to 2.4. I had to take Contrast down that far to get an image that was comfortable to view. This is a lot more like viewing a projector and I prefer it, but unfortunately blacks can sometimes look grey in a dark room, it's only really noticeable in very dark scenes so its not a big deal. Overall the VT60 works great in the dark and ANSI contrast is outstanding, although I do find it disappointing that even the VT cant get close to the blacks I used to get with CRT projection, that was black.

First quote was for g10.

With the VT60, generally there isn't an issue with IR, I've only seen some IR once in the 3 months I've owned it and it was quite minor and went away quickly.

G10 has severe IR issues on the other hand. Only a few minutes and black bars, logos are stuck for some time, how noticeable will depend on how long I was watching.

I was going to get a 65" plasma while I still could but the new OLED displays are getting rave reviews from the hard-core plasma gurus/calibrators. "Much better than Kuro" seems to be the consensus on the new LG OLED. The LG even has more calibration options than a Samsung or Panasonic plasma. Motion is apparently very impressive too but I won't believe it until I see it.

OLED still isn't proven in the long term but I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic sees the writing on the wall for plasma with OLED.

LCD will continue to provide for mainstream and less discerning viewers unless OLED can continue its rapid price drops.

Which LEDs are better than Kuro mello yello? Looking at a new panel very soon...

GR,

in POVs 4K thread I mentioned a couple of standouts

SONY 900 series

Samsung 8 series and 7 series (both use ultra clear panel ) has a glossy finish, but not like the glossy PC monitors, really brings out the blacks

i went with a UA55F7100, absolutely stunning HD images

8 series has a quad core processor, 7 series has a dual core

new Samsung range also coming in about 2 weeks, but nothing wrong with the 2013 models (if you can get one)