Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Digital Radio In Europe. The Latest

Guest Malich
So for those knocking our introduction of DAB+ read this.

Alan: as has repeatedly been pointed out to you, these people "knocking our introduction of DAB+" exist only in the hollow of your head.

None of the people you allude to have been critical of Australia's introduction of DAB+ - simply the bitrates typically used, and the resultant inferior-to-FM quality. That's actually a failing of Australia's introduction; minimum bitrates should have been specified, based on content type and with an eye to maintaining at least FM quality.

Oh, and people have been critical of your continued use and misinterpretation of press releases rather than actual documentation or other more reliable evidence, which you've probably interpreted as 'knocking' DAB+. But that's your issue, and not a problem we can solve...

We have been the model for Europe and their starting to set analog radio (AM and FM) switchoff dates

I note that this is another press release from an organisation with a vested interest; that it doesn't mention anything about "analog radio (AM and FM) switchoff", just FM switchoff; and that it doesn't back up Alan's claim that "we have been the model for Europe" (it actually states that we were the "inspiration" for a tripartite government/public broadcaster/private broadcaster alliance in The Netherlands, and that that alliance - not the original Australian case study - served as a model for Norway).

It might have been worthwhile if Alan had posted the actual case study or further detail behind his claim that "we have been the model for Europe" - but he hasn't. Let's see if he can come up with something better than the already posted press release. I've already found much better publicly-available information - but I figure if he's going to make the claims, it's only fair that he should have the chance to back them up...

Europe's relative success comes from their totally different position in regards to radio - they are mostly smaller countries with radio stations networked nationwide with limited local stations, and where they do exist, there are many of them owing to the denser populations.

DAB+ suits the European situation quite well - with having the entire VHF band III available to put towards DAB multiplexes and a regulatory and geographical arrangement that is more supportive of the multiplex model.

The discussion on what is right for Australia should be related to what is right for Australia, Europe might be an example in some ways, but different situations call for different technologies. If you had an open mind and respected the other posters on this site you could have a reasonable discussion on what that should be - you don't of course, so we get threads that start off with broad swipes against other contributors.

I wonder where nbound's greener pastures have taken him? Perhaps he'll start up a forum of his own and invite those here not renowned for flooding threads with bullshit to participate? Of course I'm aware that that would leave me out too,but if it helps rid the internet of alan-alzheimer,it's a price I'm only too happy to pay.

nbound can be found on a forum on which alanh would never dare raise his head ... because if he did, and he carried on like he does here, they'd quickly remove it with a shotgun.