Dilemma; New Cd Player Or Streaming Device?

Now that I've got an Elektra Theatron amp in the HT things are sounding awesome, can't wait to go to the next level with a new HT pre/pro in the next few months. I've borrowed my parents CD player and hooked it up via analogue and am loving listening to CDs compared to via my Oppo 93 via digital but...

1; I have to give the CD player back, and soon :(

2; I don't have somewhere within the room to store all my CD's. Even DVD's will soon be sent to the under staircase storage area.

I'm trying to decide whether I should invest in a CD player or go to a music streaming device such as a Sonos Connect. I'll more than likely buy an Integra DHC 80.3 pre/pro for the HT which, like my Oppo, has streaming capabilities, but I'm told I'm better off with a dedicated device. Are they up to the quality of a half decent CD player of similar budget, ie $500? I often find it hard to sit through an entire CD unless it's on in the background while I'm surfing the net or reading. I'm not particularly interested in streaming video so don't really need a Dune type of device. Sonos would also be the idiot proof way of setting up an alfresco music system down the track (via a Sonos Amp and outdoor speakers) that SWMBO could actually operate.

Most of my music collection is already ripped to iTunes in lossless format but I do need to go back and rip about 80 CD's because I originally tried to save HDD space by ripping in low bit rate mp3 format when I bought an iPod Photo... remember them?

I have a ATV 2 in the family room (we are a bit of an Apple household, iPhones/iMacs/Macbook Air) and SWMBO can use that but for some reason it's flaky with it's connection to the home sharing facility. It's improved with more recent firmware upgrades but still not foolproof.

most processors these have streaming capability of some sort. the denon marantz but personally Id say absolutely dedicated streamer/media player. just for useability convenience, cover art etc.

something sounds wrong with setup in your atv2 ?. we have both ATV with built in hard drive for the lounge room system and the little black $100 atv for bedroom and both are excellent for background music. have about 200 of our cds through itunes and yeah perfect as you say while surfing or reading.

the thing with a media player you are either going to run through av processor or going through a high quality dac. keeping in mind that what a cd player is. the good ones are a transport with good quality dac, analog stage and power supplies.

if its just background music I wouldnt worry about a cd player. my self the cd player is more for dedicated listening and also have a lot of cds not ripped so just grab those and play when want. if wanting something pretty reasonalbe both ways a cambridge 751 or oppo 105/95 would be good for bd/universal replay and the odd disc want to play for the full experience :)

ps at one stage I was even just using an ipod into a dock. dock is about $150 for a good one like the arcam rdock :)

Hence the dilemma... The HT room is mostly for dedicated viewing or listening, but ease of access to media is tempting. I'm leaning towards a Sonos connect for now and possibly adding a DAC down the line. Not sure how much dedicated 2 ch listening will be done once the Elektra honeymoon is over. I do find I'm being a little antisocial by going into the HT by myself so tend to stay in the family room with SWMBO most nights...

Atv2 "sharing" dropouts are a common issue if you google it.

For dedicated listening my vote is for a streamer. The ease of use (control songs/playlist with a smartphone) out weights the benefits of a CD for my case...

If space for CD is an issue, you can always get something like this. I find browsing CD using sleeves a lot easier than in it's original jewel cases...

Most of my music collection is already ripped to iTunes in lossless format but I do need to go back and rip about 80 CD's because I originally tried to save HDD space by ripping in low bit rate mp3 format when I bought an iPod Photo... remember them?

I have a ATV 2 in the family room (we are a bit of an Apple household, iPhones/iMacs/Macbook Air) and SWMBO can use that but for some reason it's flaky with it's connection to the home sharing facility. It's improved with more recent firmware upgrades but still not foolproof.

To narrow the options towards something proprietary for your lossless itunes files [unless you want to go with flac etc] blybo the oppo wont handle these formats ; the pre pro would be similar ..

• Apple Lossless (ALAC)
    • Apple's ADPCM IMA4

My 2 cents:

The internal DACs in the Integra are fine via HDMI. I am not sure, given your listening, that spending money on analogue outs and external DACs is a worthwhile path given the $$s would be better spent elsewhere.

I stream via the Integra, the Dune and the Oppo ... Occasionally the PS3 if it's on.

The Integra sounds the best for streaming, but it's interface is clunky and not as convenient as the Dune.

The Oppo 103 is the best for CD (better than streaming, unless FLAC, which is comparable and sometimes better).

I think this is because the pathway is shorter if decoding within the Integra.

Sonos will cost more than a Dune and the Dune is very versatile for the money.

Personally I would buy/use a 103/5 and setting up on HDMI2 as a separate input on the integra for audio listening ... This is what I have done and can then turn on the DSD Bitstreaming on the Oppo when required.

Fully agree. Loved the SQ of streaming via the Integra and the Marantz. Most is Losseless (FLAC). Ageless is bringing over his Oppo 105 when he gets it to see if using Oppo's 105 Analogue stage is much better than MArantzs' Analogue stage.

If prefer Audyssey then a no brainer, use the Integra DACs. If use pure then there is option to use the likes of the Oppo 105 DACs or the AVR DAC's.

not sure that much difference between any of the oppos with processors here in regards dacs. comparing will tell you for the context. be using analog stages on the av processors be it marantz or integra/onkyo regardless. to bypass that you go a 2ch analog pre amp or integrated. but really I agree for just background music which seems the requirement here, ipod in dock, streaming via player or processor all will work and be just fine. for user interface I dont think can beat the dedicated media devices. for background music myself I actually use my dab+ digital radio tuner a hell of a lot. stations like koffee are 24/7 ad free and pretty decent quality again quite good enough for background music.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1362606359' post='1870369]

not sure that much difference between any of the oppos with processors here in regards dacs. comparing will tell you for the context. be using analog stages on the av processors be it marantz or integra/onkyo regardless. to bypass that you go a 2ch analog pre amp or integrated. but really I agree for just background music which seems the requirement here, ipod in dock, streaming via player or processor all will work and be just fine. for user interface I dont think can beat the dedicated media devices. for background music myself I actually use my dab+ digital radio tuner a hell of a lot. stations like koffee are 24/7 ad free and pretty decent quality again quite good enough for background music.

Not sure what u are saying as there is a significant difference between the Oppos analogue stages. The 95 is much better than the 93 and the Cambridge 751 is close to the 95. Am curious to hear if the 95/105/751 analogue stage is much different to the Marantz AV8801analogue stage. Agree not fully bypassed as volume control would still be applied in the Analogue stage; but the DACs would be bypassed, which is my meaning.

In other words use the 105/751 like a CD/SACD player with analogue outs and use Pure in the AVR so as not to do ADC/DAC conversions in AVR. With streaming the Oppo 95/105 could also stream the music from NAS or the like rather than from the disc drive; but it would still be like using a CD player but using HDD instead of CD drive.

Edited by bbar

no question step up in analog going from 93/103 to cambridge or 95/105. was just saying dac wise may find a much of much ness. while the cambridge has a more elaborate discrete wolfson dac chip set so some difference there, if comes to the oppo and marantz both use a multi dac on a chip.

understand with what your suggesting analog wise. and bypassing dacs definitely worth a shot to compare :)

anyways enough talk. skyfall, flight, djago, intouchables waiting to be watched movie marathon here I come :D

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1362609759' post='1870377]

no question step up in analog going from 93/103 to cambridge or 95/105. was just saying dac wise may find a much of much ness. while the cambridge has a more elaborate discrete wolfson dac chip set so some difference there, if comes to the oppo and marantz both use a multi dac on a chip.

understand with what your suggesting analog wise. and bypassing dacs definitely worth a shot to compare :)

anyways enough talk. skyfall, flight, djago, intouchables waiting to be watched movie marathon here I come :D

Got-ya. Lol, yes it is an addiction.

Got those except intouchables but have not watched yet.

Will watch flight and skyfall next week though have to wait a month for Django unchained as have it coming from the US and not released there until next month I believe.

Re Oppo versus Marantz, yes looking forward to comparing that.

Have not bought 95/105 yet so probably best to do this comparison before I do!

Just waiting for Ageless to get his from TCC!

Then the Marantz AV8801 /Oppo 95/Cambridge 751 shootoff!!!

will say, like you I believe that the AV8801 will stack up well against Oppo 105 or Cambridge 751.

Edited by bbar

To narrow the options towards something proprietary for your lossless itunes files [unless you want to go with flac etc] blybo the oppo wont handle these formats ; the pre pro would be similar ..

Interesting. I have streamed recently bought music from my wife's iMac to the Oppo before without issue, but haven't checked to see which format they were ripped in although I'm pretty certain I set up ALAC as the default some time ago... I didn't like using the Oppo to stream as the UI was so clunky and once my network connection dropped out for some reason I never tried to re connect it. I know Sonos handles ALAC and I also ALAC on my iPhone to make the car sound as good as possible. It's still not as good as CD but I think that's the car stereo's limitation.

Found this on AVS which suggests the 80.3 plays ALAC even if I use the Sonos's digital output.

Typically listen to music primarily three ways, all digital. FLACs via thumb drive to 103 then HDMI2 to the 80.3. SACD via HDMI2 with DSD format. Finally IPOD Classic connected via USB to 80.3 with almost all recorded in Apple Lossless.

The thing that interests me about Sonos is that I have a wired network switch in the HT cabinet so any other Sonos zone I wish to add down the track could then be done so using the Sonos wireless network. Handy for our alfresco area in particular. It also seems to be a simpler way to implement an outside zone 2 that my wife could use.

I'm trying to decide whether I should invest in a CD player or go to a music streaming device such as a Sonos Connect. I'll more than likely buy an Integra DHC 80.3 pre/pro for the HT which, like my Oppo, has streaming capabilities, but I'm told I'm better off with a dedicated device. Are they up to the quality of a half decent CD player of similar budget, ie $500? I often find it hard to sit through an entire CD unless it's on in the background while I'm surfing the net or reading. I'm not particularly interested in streaming video so don't really need a Dune type of device. Sonos would also be the idiot proof way of setting up an alfresco music system down the track (via a Sonos Amp and outdoor speakers) that SWMBO could actually operate.

For casual listening, Sonos is the way to go. It will cope with your Apple and low bit rate MP3s.

A mid range dedicated CD player will often outperform a high end universal player as you found out with your borrowed CD player. However, if all you do is to listen to CDs on casual basis, then stick with the Oppo.

If and when you want to get serious about stereo, then suggest streaming via a good DAC. As someone so elegantly put it, if you remove the spinning disk (CD), you solve a major problem affecting sound quality (hence expensive disk players not only have better DACs, but better transport, laser etc). I found out how true this was after I purchased my Audiolab 8200 CDQ. I had lots of CDs and thought that I could continue playing my CDs while I moved into the digital world and high resolution music. There is a noticeable difference between the CD playback and Flac (and yes, the CD player is not top end, but same DAC is used for CD and streamed music). I ended up ripping all my CDs and the CD player hardly gets used these days. The added bonus was that it was easy to pick up a Sonos with all my music in digital format.

This is just a personal experience I am sharing, but after buying a few mid range CD players, I actually found that I do most of my listening whilst working, and I seldom do much critical listening.

So I downsized my stereo arrangement from a $20k system, to using my Denon 4520 HT system in Airplay, and I am actually very happy with the results.

Sure, it misses a little here and there, compared to my all out stereo system connected to my B&W 804D, but it was convenient, and I enjoyed the music a lot, far too much to mind any shortfalls.

Cheers.

Interesting. I have streamed recently bought music from my wife's iMac to the Oppo before without issue, but haven't checked to see which format they were ripped in although I'm pretty certain I set up ALAC as the default some time ago... I didn't like using the Oppo to stream as the UI was so clunky and once my network connection dropped out for some reason I never tried to re connect it. I know Sonos handles ALAC and I also ALAC on my iPhone to make the car sound as good as possible. It's still not as good as CD but I think that's the car stereo's limitation.

Found this on AVS which suggests the 80.3 plays ALAC even if I use the Sonos's digital output.

Since the oppo was in the mix blybo I was concentrating on dnla streaming [ a local network is very handy for multiple zones as you know] but if using sp/dif instead as long as your device has the decoder go for it [oppo considered the licensing costs possibly ]

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428214/official-oppo-bdp-103-bdp-105-anticipation-thread/1500#post_22461749

The integra manages these over the network [and 2ch only more than likely though not a factor here ;) ]

Playback of Audio Files Through Local Network (MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, FLAC, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, LPCM)**

I would like to point out that if you get the Sonos Connect you will be able to stream directly from your iphone or ipod touch. You can probably save a few $ and bypass paying for the Airplay activation.

I have: 2 x Connect, 2 x S5 and a Bridge.

These have been the best purchases I've made.

I've got my patio music running on a Connect using an old amp (Marantz SR7000) and Bose Outdoor speakers.

I have music running through my NAS all day every day.

That's my 2c

Another vote for the streaming option.

It is the most convenient and most flexible option.

Whilst Sonos is not the cheapest streaming option, it's usability and the ongoing commitment to the platform makes it a worthy addition to my home.

I have a lovely Denon SACD solution in my study but the majority of time it acts as the amp for my Sonos Connect. When I do load CD's or SACD's I do appreciate the enhanced playback, but is infrequently. In the meantime, I have ordered the Arcam SonLink DAC for my connect to feed into my Denon RCD-CX1.

For my other family members, it is streaming all the way.