Stereo Recommendation

Hi everyone,

Currently I am using the apple TV + optical out to my tired avr to listen to my extensive lossless audio collection, won’t be using any analogue inputs.

My budget is about 3-4k (although the misses would prefer that I spend no more than 3k)

I have auditioned the B&W 684s with the stores avr and they do sound very nice, will also be auditioning them next week with the Rotel 1520 integrated stereo amp when the store has it in stock.

As I will only be using digital inputs, I will need to have a good DAC, does anyone know how good the DAC is on the rotel?

My listening habits are quite diverse, but I do like classical, jazz, modern alternative / hip-hop but mostly I will be listening to oldies (Beatles, pink Floyd etc).

I prefer a warm sound rather than bright, and not only that but my listening area is fairly large and unforgiving.(i.e. polished cement floors and large windows). I have put down some rugs and curtains but I will never have good acoustics.

Can any one recommend some combinations that would be worth checking out? I have asked to audition the equipment in similar poorly acoustic treated room for a good comparison.

Thanks for reading

the rotel 1520 is an stereo integrated amp and with only analog inputs. so no dac. if you want an integrated amp with dac your really looking for an avr. or a dac and integrated amp combination.

what does you budget need to allow for ? speakers as well ?

if liking B&W speakers both nad and rotel are good brand combinations forgiving the hard surrounds and vibrant top end of the b&w. another good match for b&w is also focal, monitor audio all with sound along similar lines if the B&Ws took your fancy. apart from nad and rotel musical fidelity is another good combination for these speakers.

I had another look, the staff at the store must have confused the 1520 with the Rotel RA-12 Integrated Amplifier, as this one has an onboard dac.

In regards to the B&W's, I am far from sold on them. They are the only ones I have audition thus far.

I am looking for advice on a few different options to try out. The Staff at the hifi store have not been very helpful and are just pushing me to spend way over my budget.

I think I might somewhere else, but in the mean time I want to investigate what my options are in my price range before I go listen.

Basically I am looking for recomendations for a stereo setup that is to be used with digit imputs only. I will look at all options in my price range, whether it's getting a stand alone DACs with the amps, or avr's.

price range is 4k max, including 2.0 speakers + amp/dac/avr + cables

Cheers

Edited by Andre1122

am sure the RA-12 wiht its wolfson dacs on board will be decent with the apple tv. whether an outboard dac is an option I'd be doubtfull at this price point since combining speakers as well its going to limit budget.

rather than suggest a whole bunch of stuff, your better option is let us know where you are, which state and people can suggest places to visit to demo options available to you. or check the htfaq on places to demo.

at end of it there is a whole host of ways to cut and dice this. but to experience these yourself will soon sort out what floats your boat :)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I live in Port Melbourne.

I really like the look of the Peachtree amp. I am worried about Jitter from my apple TV and it looks like the Peachtree will reclock the signal to help alleviate this. Also the reviews look pretty good when used from a digital signal, and not only that but it seams it's optimised for MP3's which would make the misses happy as most of her music is mp3s.

What speakers would go well with this unit? This is stretching my budget, as this unit is $1700 RRP and i originally only wanted to spend about 1k on the amp. Also I can attach an active sub to this unit too down the track (?)

This leaves me with around 2-2.5k for the 2 loudspeakers.

Does anyone have any recommendations for speakers that will play well with the Peachtree? I do prefer a warmer sound.

The HK Amp looks even better than the peachtree but its out of my price range unfortunately. Ditto with the dac amp combo.

To my knowledge the hifi stores in my area is carlton hifi and Clef Hifi. I believe there might be a place in the Coburg area as well that I could check out.

Thanks again guys.

This seems to be exactly the type of amp you're looking for at a lower budget, as long as 75W per channel is sufficient.

http://www.nuforce.c...#specifications

Audio Trends look like they it but quote 50w RMS

http://www.audiotren...uct&itemId=1801

Edit: Ah... 75W into 4ohms, 50 into 8ohms...

Edited by blybo

If budget is stretched do consider second hand.. e.g. $2-$2.5k can buy you some decent passive bookshelves or even floorstanders...

$4k total budget can bring you some sweet second hand gear.

Loved polished cement floors btw :wub:.. How big is your listening room? Is it a dedicated room, or mixed use?

Cav sells the peach tree so can demo with some options there. I personally would partner that with quality standmount eg the gold series monitor audio or pmc db1i. Or can go small floorstander eg the pmc gb1i. They have some other brands too can no doubt check out.

If in port Melbourne there is a store in docklands could visit. Can't remember the name

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1361410682' post='1867435]

If in port Melbourne there is a store in docklands could visit. Can't remember the name

Are you thinking of Stereophonic Al? They do have some very good deals from time to time.

Thanks everyone.

The Peachtree Audio Decco65 Integrated Amplifier looks pretty good and the DDA 100 does as well but I am not sure about how much power is needed.

"I personally would partner that with quality standmount eg the gold series monitor audio or pmc db1i. Or can go small floorstander eg the pmc gb1i."

I was hoping to pair up the amp with some floorstanding speakers. Are the peachtree's not powerful enough?

I was quoted $2200 for a pair of the B&W 684's and I did like the sound of them, do you think I would be better off finding something smaller?

I am a bit confused now.

Personally I think with power onboard the peach tree I'd be partnering with something like quality standmount or smaller floorstander. Especially if planning on integrating a sub later put money into really good standmount. Sometimes less is more ! Yep quark that's the one

It won't be the size of the speaker, Bookshelf / Floorstander as much as it's sensitivity and whether you like the sound. 90 db and above will be nice. A MA RX 6 for example.

I would avoid Dynaudio, and other hard to drive speakers.

What you get will depend on whether you like bright / warm sounds. Reviews online will give you an idea of what to expect.

My advice would be to visit as many stores as you be bothered visting and demo as many systems as you can be bothered demoing. If you get the opportunity to demo and home I would definitely recommend you do so because you'll get a much better idea how it will actually sound in your space. And take some music you know reasonably well and enjoy listening to.

Not just size no but if talking a b&w 684 which is Multi driver speaker. A quite complex load and by very nature moving a lot more air and needing lot more energy from an amp to do so. Vs a small bookshelf/standmount with much more simpler 2way design and by default simpler easier load for an amp. Also physically you are paying for a lot more speaker off your money with larger multiple driver standmount vs simple 2way. Can end up with a lot better speaker overall with a standmount for same money.

Specs are not always the full story either for instance 90db + efficiency is rare in standmounts yet they are usually pretty benign load for an amp.

Ajm agree 100% what suggesting, does no harm getting out demo and listen to options. And if can if something takes your fancy try demo at home :)

Thanks everyone you have cleared this up a lot for me.

Cav have said a new model of the peachtree with 125w a channnel has been released for $1500, with an updated dac as well.

The guy at the store suggested that the RX8s would be a great option with them so i will give that an audition next week.

I will also have a look at some stand mounts with the peach tree decco with a sub and see how that sounds.

Thanks again everyone for helping out. Ill let you all know how i go.