Dvb-T Signal Meter

(5 Channel strengh bars on one screen)

It would be a deal breaker for me if my prime installing instrument can not do this.

For me, this allows the quick locating of an antenna for further parameter observations, during the process of determining the best mounting position. (In most cases.)

The Unaohm T-40 has this function.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... - Unaohm T40 - Cant get much Info.

A quick Google search for Unaohm T40 brought up the full T40 User manual (T40 plus is the updated & current model)

http://www.unaohm.it/unaohm_eng/upload/approfondimenti/file/MAN_T40_PLUS_ENG.pdf

The Australian Unaohm distributor is Lacey's TV www.laceys.tv

From memory, the T40 plus was around the $2K mark, but pricing would have altered since I last checked, so I recommend you check with Lacey's.

If they don't have a WA seller, they'll deal with you directly from their Melbourne head office.

The T40 is my backup meter.

As M'bozo mentioned a meter with the ability to display 5 channels of signals simultaneously is a huge benefit, which the T40 does and powers mastheads, etc.

I haven't seen/used the Emitor meter, but my opinion is the T40 plus is a far better instrument compared to the LabGear.

Storm could you let me know reasons why your not too keen on the Unaohm, reading up some Installers swear by it while others don't tend to like it yet I couldn't figure out why. Yep around the 2k Mark and has a few more features.

I have just got my Labgear DAT103, And it has an Amp Power Up Option which the DAT102 did not, other than that features remain the same.

It seems to work good except the ChBER readings are off by quite a bit when Compared to 3 Other Meters and MER is off by 4db compared to other meters when doing some more comparison. which all ready pretty much the same to each other. Hopefully it's just a fault with my unit and the others should be good.

Storm could you let me know reasons why your not too keen on the Unaohm, reading up some Installers swear by it while others don't tend to like it yet I couldn't figure out why. Yep around the 2k Mark and has a few more features.

I think you misread Storm's comments.

The way it reads to me is that Storm is saying the Unaohm T40 is far superior compared to the other meters you mentioned.

eg: T40 is a professional instrument, compared to the other meters as 'handyman' meters.

Which I would totally agree with.

For those of us that don't have bottomless cheque books the T40 is a good value Meter for most jobs particularly in Domestic jobs.

It tells you a lot of information, if you can't fix a job with one you are in deep do do.It's also good when on the roof or under the floor

with the rubber case, I've used one for years now, had it calibrated and up dated the MER etc a while back.

Cheers Tazzy.

My Bad yes just reread storms post, would have loved to get the Unaohm but it seems to only read MER upto 30db and not 36db, is there any reason why it only reads upto 30db? Perhaps they decided since 30db MER is allready a pretty good result they decided not to make it read updo 36?

If my DAT103 had a Histogram to compare each channel on one screen it would be the best, otherwise it's simple to use and has the majority of features I require.

As mentioned, I have a T40.

For about 6 years. It's old. Sits in my vehicle until I have a difficult install, then gets pressed into use.

If you enquire about a T40, find out how easily it interfaces to a computer, the software upgrade path if one still exists, (& cost thereof), amongst other things.

You might be lucky if you can pick one up second hand, they are fairly robust bits of kit. Mine's had a hard life, & still works well.

but it seems to only read MER upto 30db

Speaking for myself, I don't agonise over this reading to much, I find it handy for fine tuning antenna pointing position at times, that's about all.

Far as I'm concerned, BER readings are more interesting.

(The question I ask myself now is are digital tuner/decoder blocks in some TVs superior to some of the instruments being used to set up domestic receiving systems? My feeling is the answer to this may well be yes.*)

*Of course, this may be dependent on the make, model & initial purchase price of the test instrument. I for one see no point is dragging a very expensive instrument onto someone's roof, particularly if the device is not overly portable, or easily damaged.)

My T40 can read MER to 36 db after a visit to Lacey's for a calibration check,don't see 36db MER a lot on all channels in the areas

I get to work in owing to terrain etc.So I find 36db a bit theoretical sometimes and as M'bozo says

accurate BER is a good indication of what is going on most of the time.

Cheers fellas-all for the unaohm......You could always keep an eye out for a hst2-plenty of ex-foxtel guys reguarly putting them on ebay and gumtree.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hills-HST2-Digital-Satellite-FTA-Field-Strength-Meter-/161025197574?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item257dd98606

Not a bad deal-I would pay no more than $800 2nd hand.

Yep I'v got a hst2, love it, about to buy a digicube from a mate who has stopped installing. its going to be nice to have a picture to watch again like on my old promax.

Yes, a firmware upgrade on the T40 yields an MER display up to 36dB, so I expect a new one would come with the latest firmware.

I agree with the others that true BER and DCP readings, (particularly BER) is the most useful.

The T40 also has RS (Reed-Solomon) reading, which, combined with MER, can be very useful in sorting difficult reception and interference issues.

There's a lot of installers out there that don't even know what those terms mean, let alone how to utilise those features.

Good Point M'bozo

It appears as the Labgear for me doesn't really do what it's supposed to do, it's performance is comparable to meters below it's price range. T40 seems like a good unit, may I ask people here who own T40's and more expensive meters how good is the T40's accuracy in MER/BER and response time when comparing it to the high end meters?

MTV I take it you have a T40 and AP01, have you ever compared the readings and how close is the Unaohm T40?

Cheers.

MTV I take it you have a T40 and AP01, have you ever compared the readings and how close is the Unaohm T40?

Yes, I have both and yes I've compared readings, which are pretty much the same for both with regards to functions common to both.

Obviuosly, the AP01 has more features, being a real-time spectrum analyser, but for core features, like true BER/MER readings are extremely close between the two meters.

Did you look at the Hill HST2? These are made by Rover Instruments, probably similar spec/quality as the T40.

http://www.hillsantenna.com.au/Products/Product_subcat?cat=19

There is one on eBay at the moment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hills-HST2-Digital-Satellite-FTA-Field-Strength-Meter-/161034706463?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item257e6a9e1f&_uhb=1

Hill now provide the PC software for the unit for free, it used to be $200+.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my Unaohm T40, Apparently with latest software but MER Seems to only read upto 26DB where other Meters show 35 MER on same channel, will test again incase Meter is playing up. Which software version do you guys have?

Edited by Z2TT

Ah Yes just double checked on mine. Reading upto 35.

I'm wondering why mine doesn't have AER Either, to my Understanding the T40 Plus has AER, and mine says on startup its a T40 Plus.

Edited by Z2TT