Confirmation Of New Foxtel Movies And What Your Not Getting!

been going through the guide and there is heaps of paramount films on in January.

Thats because paramount is one of the studios that are part of the showtime PMP agreement. Its not one of the studios i listed as not being there.

Also, as far as L.A. Confidential goes, just because a movie was made by warner, does not mean the rights are sill only held by warner. its common for rights be sold or become part of take overs. it was also made in partnership with another house.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree Dan Foxtel needs Warner,MGM,Roadshow et al as much as they need Foxtel,it must at crossing the Tee's and Dotting the I's before they reappear on our screens

cheers laurie

Yes indeed it is happening (Roadshow in the bag):

http://www.knowfirst.info/forums/showthread.php?t=44678

so the wheels are in motion for the migration of MGM, WB, etc. to the new movie channels, it's a question of how long it will take to see the effect on the new channels.

Yes indeed it is happening (Roadshow in the bag):

http://www.knowfirst...ead.php?t=44678

so the wheels are in motion for the migration of MGM, WB, etc. to the new movie channels, it's a question of how long it will take to see the effect on the new channels.

thank you for posting that link, another piece too prove that my OP was right. So until they are all on board, we are getting shafted paying full price for movies!

Received the January Foxtel Magazine in post today, the pdf file that is on foxtel's website is the same as the magazine, no warner bros films, roadshow, disney etc for January looks like either Feb or March before we see the others on the new channel. Pity they didn't reduce the price for the months that will not have the movie network studios on the new channels, as we are getting a reduction in product for a time.

Received the January Foxtel Magazine in post today, the pdf file that is on foxtel's website is the same as the magazine, no warner bros films, roadshow, disney etc for January looks like either Feb or March before we see the others on the new channel. Pity they didn't reduce the price for the months that will not have the movie network studios on the new channels, as we are getting a reduction in product for a time.

This thread I rediscovered on Knowfirst discusses exactly this:

http://www.knowfirst.info/forums/showthread.php?t=44645&page=2

and that Village Roadshow is first off the ranks because they started negotiations early.

It also confirms the monopolistic behaviour of Foxtel which will ensure the remaining movie studios will have no choice but to sign up, or they will be left hanging high and dry since with the closure of MNC they have no where to go. For the viewer however it means a degraded service for at least the first quarter of 2013 and then a service which is at best no different and possibly inferior (only one premier movie channel rather than two) to the current, but cheaper and all good for Foxtel.

Quick tip: The smart move would be to subscribe to either the Showtime or MNC movie package (but not both) before Dec 31 and then from Jan 1 both will have access to the same premium channel (but a limited selection of the other channels) which will eventually show movies from all the major studios which is better than what you get currently with $16/month.

I think Movie Basic Showcase:

http://www.foxtel.com.au/support/movies-premium-drama/faqs/default.htm#subtopic4

is the best deal. For $16/month you get Premier, Showcase, Action and Drama (but not Family, Thriller and Masterpiece). Since we love our movies we will probably stick with the complete package but if you are not a movie lover but would like at least some movies this is a pretty good deal, but you have until Dec 31 to secure it. Obviously Foxtel hopes nobody realises this until it is too late!

you do realize that the magazine is printed a few weeks ago. and since the Roadshow agreement was only signed in the past few days, they still might show some roadshow movies next month.

you do realize that the magazine is printed a few weeks ago. and since the Roadshow agreement was only signed in the past few days, they still might show some roadshow movies next month.

Foxtel (or maybe the movie studios?) sure are in a hurry to sign up.

Just one day after Village Roadshow, we have Warner Bros on board:

http://www.knowfirst...ead.php?t=44686

So only MGM and DIsney left? I think this will all be sown up by the end of the month at this rate.

Edited by PeteP

Foxtel (or maybe the movie studios?) sure are in a hurry to sign up.

Just one day after Village Roadshow, we have Warner Bros on board:

http://www.knowfirst...ead.php?t=44686

So only MGM and DIsney left? I think this will all be sown up by the end of the month at this rate.

That's a great outcome. Looks like it's all coming togethor nicely. One thing I noticed in that article is - "including the ability to stream movies within the Foxtel Go service from early 2013.". This is excellent news.

Just googled for more insight (OK so I am bored now that I am on leave and got nothing else better to do? ;) ) and came across this:

http://www.deadline.com/?s=foxtel

and just in:

http://www.heraldsun...o-1226541760457

I wonder what to make of the statement: "A new pricing structure will be announced early next year."?

P.S. If I go through Google apparently I get through the pay-wall from the Herald Sun / Australian so I copy and paste below (note my highlights of interest):

Foxtel adds two movie studios

FOXTEL has signed movie distribution deals with two of the major studios that were shareholders in Movie Network and is continuing talks with Disney and MGM.

Warner Bros and Roadshow movie content will be part of Foxtel’s own suite of movie channels when they launch on January 1.

A new pricing structure will be announced early next year.

Foxtel corporate affairs director Bruce Meagher said current movie subscribers would find their channels would switch to the new Foxtel channels next month, with single-package subscribers moved to an equivalent tier.

New subscribers will have to sign up to the Foxtel Movies and Premium Drama package of nine channels.

Mr Meagher said Foxtel was “fairly confident” of signing deals with Disney and MGM to add to existing suppliers Universal, Sony Columbia and Twentieth Century Fox's joint venture operation, Premium Movie Partnership.

He would not comment on the new pricing but said all changes aimed to simplify things for the pay-TV company’s subscribers.

Foxtel announced its new channel line-up earlier this month after it opted not to renew its movie contracts with suppliers in favour of building its own, streamlined movie channels package.

In October Foxtel bought out PMP's assets and took the Showtime and showcase channels in-house.

Two weeks ago Media revealed staff at Movie Network had been told the company, which was the collective negotiating vehicle jointly owned by Warner Bros, Disney, MGM and Roadshow, would close down by the end of this year, with the loss of 42 jobs.

The new line-up of Foxtel movie channels includes Premiere, showcase, Action/Adventure, Comedy, Drama/Romance, Family, Thriller/Crime, Masterpiece and World Movies with high-definition, standard-definition and time-shift options, as well as a library of on-demand titles.

Foxtel chief executive Richard Freudenstein said: “Our research told us customers want one destination for their movies, as well as simple navigation to find the movie they feel like watching.”

Edited by PeteP

I am looking through the january movie guide and ive noticed that movies are on more than one channel!

Small soldiers is on family and action/adventure on the same day, just different times

The look whos talking moves are on comedy and family across the month

yes i can see these movie channels are going to be just wonderful......not

7two if you like old movies.

At least 72 is reviving the Christmas tradition of showing The Plank, on Thursday night! It'll be just about the first time they've shown anything I've wanted to see (again).

So does that mean the OP has jumped the the gun and carried on for no reason?

No.

"Foxtel confirmed that it is continuing negotiations with other major suppliers of movies and premium drama and looks forward to making further announcements early in 2013."

Its confirmation from foxtel that they are giving you less of a product at full price from Jan 1! So they have reached agreements with a couple of the former MNC studios. There is no word on when that content will flow back on to the movie channels. It could be months. And the above statement also confirms that for at least the first 6 months of 2013, subscribers will be paying the same for less than what they have now.

If your happy with that, good on you. I wish i had a half assed product to sell you at full price.

Probably time to move on bud, you arranged disconnection mid December, get over it.

Just another ho-hum Foxtel hate thread.

Not that I can speak for everybody, but I think that the general conclusion that can be drawn from all of this, and from posts in other topics, can be summed up as follows:

• FTA has its deficiencies due to its lack of variety, lack of HD, etc...and not every punter likes to be a thief by torrenting their favorite shows, movies, etc., SO
  • The only real alternative is FOXTEL (yes, I know there are other "options" like FetchTV, Itunes, etc), HOWEVER
  • The punters don't like to get ripped off by FOXTEL, which they easily do because of their monopoly, THEREFORE,
  • Those punters who can be bothered threaten to cancel their subscriptions in order to get a better deal, while those who can't be bothered just put up with it (even if grudgingly).

I am one that falls in the later category and I am sure that many other punters do too - there is no way that I could even conceive of getting rid of the Foxtel subscription, but I am realising more month after month that the value for money isn't there anymore. We have to put up with more and more f**king life insurance ads (I am even sick of having to fast forward through them), HD "quality" that has deteriorated significantly, and after awhile, the lack of variety that you hated FTA for is perpetuated in your thoughts on Foxtel (because after you have seen the programs that you want to see, the instant appeal isn't there anymore and everything does feel like a repeat - I can often scour through the online guide and find that there is not a single thing that I want to watch when presented with 100 odd different channels.)

That doesn't make me a hater! I could probably say that Troykm isn't a hater either! There should be nothing wrong with making commentary about the regressive nature of the service that our once beloved Foxtel is providing us.

To those who think that Troykm is a hater, or that people like me are haters (or whingers), all I can say is:

GO AND PUT A STICK UP YOUR ARSE!

Lovingly,

Jabba.

• Those punters who can be bothered threaten to cancel their subscriptions in order to get a better deal, while those who can't be bothered just put up with it (even if grudgingly).

I am one that falls in the later category and I am sure that many other punters do too - there is no way that I could even conceive of getting rid of the Foxtel subscription, but I am realising more month after month that the value for money isn't there anymore.

Foxtel basic package $40*

Foxtel movie package - $80*

Continuing to pay for a service you perceive to get less and less value from - priceless.

I guess we need losers in this world to balance out with the winners.

Lovingly,

minty.

*not actual figure.

Foxtel basic package $40*

Foxtel movie package - $80*

Continuing to pay for a service you perceive to get less and less value from - priceless.

I guess we need losers in this world to balance out with the winners.

Lovingly,

minty.

*not actual figure.

What a horrible person you are minty. This is a forum. A forum for discussion of anything that falls into the category for which it was set up. I never understand why people like you come on to forums and tell other members what they can and can not discuss and when they should stop discussing a topic. If you don't agree with my thread by all means say so, but don't tell me or others what we can and can not say and don't you dare tell me its time to move on just because you have had enough of this thread. If you don't want to read this thread any more then don't! Piss off and leave the rest of us alone.

This is a forum!

Definition of forum

noun (plural forums)

• 1a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:

Edited by troykm