Confirmation Of New Foxtel Movies And What Your Not Getting!

I have just had a very heated discussion with foxtel and managed to get the hidden truth out of the rep.

Yes showtime and movie network are being replaced on 1st Jan with the new foxtel channels. There will be 9 channels +2 time shift.

What they are not making known is that the only movies that will be shown are those that are currently available to foxtel from the showtime channels studios. Foxtel have bought out PMP (showtime) and thus the content agreements with those movie houses continues.

Foxtel no longer has any agreement with movie network or the studio houses that are on it. So from the 1st Jan there will be no movie from Warner bros, MGM, Lionsgate, Roadshow, Starz, Touchstone, Mirimax and a few others.

Foxtel will be filing out the new channels with movies from the current showtime movie studio houses.

What this means for you and me is we will still be paying $32 per month for the movie package but there will be 7 less channels and far far less movies to pick from. All movies currently shown on Movie Network will not be there. The exception to this is Disney who will recommence showing movies on the Disney Channel.

I have arranged for disconnection as this is crap! I will not pay the same money for less, or what it really is, is paying double for showtime movies rebranded.

read it carefully, its foxtel saving money and trying to make out like its a good thing for customers.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just had a very heated discussion with foxtel and managed to get the hidden truth out of the rep.

Yes showtime and movie network are being replaced on 1st Jan with the new foxtel channels. There will be 9 channels +2 time shift.

What they are not making known is that the only movies that will be shown are those that are currently available to foxtel from the showtime channels studios. Foxtel have bought out PMP (showtime) and thus the content agreements with those movie houses continues.

Foxtel no longer has any agreement with movie network or the studio houses that are on it. So from the 1st Jan there will be no movie from Warner bros, MGM, Lionsgate, Roadshow, Starz, Touchstone, Mirimax and a few others.

Foxtel will be filing out the new channels with movies from the current showtime movie studio houses.

What this means for you and me is we will still be paying $32 per month for the movie package but there will be 7 less channels and far far less movies to pick from. All movies currently shown on Movie Network will not be there. The exception to this is Disney who will recommence showing movies on the Disney Channel.

I have arranged for disconnection as this is crap! I will not pay the same money for less, or what it really is, is paying double for showtime movies rebranded.

read it carefully, its foxtel saving money and trying to make out like its a good thing for customers.

This has been well discussed in another thread. Personally I'll be tossing movies all together from Dec 31

One can only assume Foxtel movies will go the way of Sky NZ which also offers a platinum movie service for $32/month and when I check the TV guide for SKY Movies I notice both Movie Network and Showtime movies.

What irritates me is that Foxtel should have either: 1) negotiated with movie studios the rights for Movie Network movies before the change or, 2) reduced the monthly fee to reflect the reduced service or (better yet) allow free on demand movies (e.g. 2 movies / month) for the first quarter of 2013 while they negotiated. When viewers realise what has happened I am sure subscribers will drop out and make any negotiations more difficult (more subscribers usually mean a better deal can be struck with the movie studios, fewer mean the movie studios can play hard ball).

Edited by PeteP

"Hidden truth" "Heated argument"

Yes because we all know heated arguments uncover the hidden truth

You really think Foxtel will let slip an entire library and back-catalogue of movies from Warner, Disney, Roadshow et al?

You really think Warner, Disney, Roadshow et al dont want to make money by having a movie channel show their product?

You seriously think that? I weep for some people

How about waiting until you hear the REAL TRUTH from Foxtel before jumping at shadows from information you got off a sales rep who doesnt even know how many channels there are on the service, let alone what movies they will offer...

Have to agree Dan Foxtel needs Warner,MGM,Roadshow et al as much as they need Foxtel,it must at crossing the Tee's and Dotting the I's before they reappear on our screens

cheers laurie

Thats what Foxtel will be doing, just finalizing the agreements, i mean look at on demand the "Lost Studios" have same day PPV titles its just a matter of time till they sign the deal, if they are still missing by Feb/March then its bad timing to replace the channels.

and its not like anyone gets foxtel for the movies. if so they need to get there head checked.

and its not like anyone gets foxtel for the movies. if so they need to get there head checked.

Maybe 10 years ago, but not anymore - considering how stupidly easy it is to get movies (internet: streaming and downloads - even on consoles, blurays and DVD - both legal and pirated) I have to agree with you Aussiedude

Also, doesnt anyone remember how long Foxtel spend trying to get the Movie Network channels on their platform in the first place? Its was the ultimate "coup de grace" when they secured the "Optus" movie channels, and as its been noted Roadshow and Warner especially have a huge presence on the 'on demand' section

They arent going anywhere, the scaremongering and false information needs to stop

Also, doesnt anyone remember how long Foxtel spend trying to get the Movie Network channels on their platform in the first place? Its was the ultimate "coup de grace" when they secured the "Optus" movie channels, and as its been noted Roadshow and Warner especially have a huge presence on the 'on demand' section

They arent going anywhere, the scaremongering and false information needs to stop

Yeah it was like late 2002 when Foxtel get the Movie Network from Optus under a new deal. also gave foxtel MTV and ESPN. before then it was just showtime showtime greats and Encore. i dont care about the movie channels other than showcase. have HD platinum but almost never watch the movie channels. got foxtel in 2002 when they got the AFL and had it since mainly just for the sport.

Not so sure about that SDL. When Foxtel introduced the HD editions of various channels the SD versions gained a random (and potentially quite loud) random glitch in the audio after an ad / promo break. To the very day that I dropped pay tv the glitch was there, despite me making contact with Austar ('no sir we don't hear that at all') and the various channel operators directly. I have a reliable technical contact for one channel operator and his feed back was 'Yes, we have noticed it and have queried Foxtel about it but nothing has been done about it yet'. It seems that Foxtel is not only deaf to the subscribers, it is deaf to its partners too.

Good luck with your 'properly directed' complaints.

Edited by DrP

Have to agree Dan Foxtel needs Warner,MGM,Roadshow et al as much as they need Foxtel,it must at crossing the Tee's and Dotting the I's before they reappear on our screens

cheers laurie

Well I hope so. At the moment the preview TV guide for January does NOT list any MCN movies (e.g. Sherlock Holmes, 21 Jump Street, Contagion, etc.) so let's hope this is fixed by Feb (or the preview guide is wrong!). Either way for January we are only getting half our money's worth and if there are any MCN movies you were considering watching I think now is a good time to do so before it's too late. I also assume if we record MCN movies (good idea to stock up since we lose these movies come next month) they will still be available for viewing from Jan 1 even though the "rights" to show these have presumably elapsed.

For the official information from Foxtel see: http://www.foxtel.com.au/discover/movies_package/default.htm

For the official information from Foxtel see: http://www.foxtel.co...age/default.htm

Going on the pitcure on the link I am pretty sure LA Confidential is a Warner Brothers movie (it was 15 or so years ago when it was released on VHS - I remember because it had no macrovision, typical of Warner titles) so seems like Warner is stitched up

The ad they're running between movies at the moment, specifically lists Warner, Village Roadshow, MGM and Disney as being part of the package. I'm not about to drop the movie package.

thats only for the on demand movies for which foxtel have always had a direct agreement with the movie houses for that. The on demand agreement is separate to the broadcast agreement as they are internet delivered. But as stated above, if no one believes me look at the jan guide, there are no MNC movies there. And all disney movies are going back to the disney channel.

thats only for the on demand movies for which foxtel have always had a direct agreement with the movie houses for that. The on demand agreement is separate to the broadcast agreement as they are internet delivered. But as stated above, if no one believes me look at the jan guide, there are no MNC movies there. And all disney movies are going back to the disney channel.

I just debunked you - Foxtel are promoting LA Confidential which is from Warner, which was being shown on MNC

Blade Runner, is also a Warner Brothers Film, as is Heat, both have been airing on Showtime, and Showtime Action. When the Showtime movie channels went HD, Blade Runner: The Final Cut was one of the first films shown on either Showtime Premier or Action HD. Heat, the Michael Mann film from 1995, has been on showtime action hd, is a warner film, but is also under regency enterprises umbrella, http://www.imdb.com/company/co0021592/ .

So just because some films are showing up in the January PDF file, which is on foxtel's website, doesn't mean anything. It probably means that some warner films(also regency enterprise films) will be on, as has been previously.

Having a look at movie networks guide, which is showing January, even though the channel is going to be defunct in 12 days time, films like Drive, My Week With Marilyn and 50/50, which were going to be the premiers for that month, looks like they won't be on Foxtel Movie Channels, at least not until Foxtel and the Various MNC studios have come to an agreement. http://mnc.tv/guide