Jvc X35/x55/x75/x95 Owners Thread

Your eyes are not a good judge of brightness. I'd start with switching the lamp to full power.

I was using almost full power, i dont know how to explain it, it just lacking that vividness of sony, may be the jvc is producing the actual colors but sometimes its good to have some pop in colors.

Edited by Sub25

The blacks are definitely better in jvc, but i see the whites are better in sony. I am not just talking about the brightness, i know too much brightness(reflected light form the screen) can hurt your eyes. For me the sony is bright but not reflecting anymore light than the jvc at the same level of brightness. May be its just my settings the picture looks a bit dull than compared to the sony, you feel it mostly when watching animation or sort off. I mean jvc is dull with good blacks where as sony has a life with better color and white/brightness, no matter how much color i increased in jvc its still dull because the lack of brightness/light. Its not a comparison between JVC to sony, could be just my jvc/settings as i havent seen any other jvc myself where as i see a few sony's. I will try to tweak a bit over this weekend and see how it goes.

For a start brighter whites are not "better" they are just brighter. I consider the peak white level of tmy X3 in low lamp mode, projected onto a 130" screen with a gain of 1.3 with a 4m projection distance unusable bright in full power mode, too much for my eyes to tolerate. Your X35 brighter.

The Sony is a bright projector, the JVC will never be as bright and it seems brightness and over saturated colour ("pop" indicates oversaturated colour) is what you crave (the LED LCD look). If you dont want to buy a high gain screen to increase brightness (buy as much as 120%) I suggest you sell the JVC and buy the much cheaper Sony.

One last thing you can try is adjust the gamma of the JVC, the default setting provides a modest average picture level so going for a lower gamma number like 1.8, or creating a custom gamma curve that boosts mid to high levels but leaves darker tones relatively unaltered certainly helps.

You should also get hold of a test disk so you can check for white clipping and crank up the contrast control as high as possible before video level 235, video white, is clipped. This will make sure you are getting the maximum possible brightness the JVC is capable of. Along with maximum iris and full lamp power thats all you can do.

Also make sure the room is absolutely dark, nothing else will do.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks. Which one enables the better colorspaces?

hi you can check a thread back here i posted with quite some info on setup, though a while back it was with the x35 i owned. and can see while started with natural i soon moved to film and some other settings to get something more comfortable with. i ended up calibrating way down the track, but it is possible out of box to get something pretty decent

no 1 most important is to set output with a light meter for 12-14 FL, as could be way off for what ever it might be set on.

10 hours ago, :) al said:

hi you can check a thread back here i posted with quite some info on setup, though a while back it was with the x35 i owned. and can see while started with natural i soon moved to film and some other settings to get something more comfortable with. i ended up calibrating way down the track, but it is possible out of box to get something pretty decent

no 1 most important is to set output with a light meter for 12-14 FL, as could be way off for what ever it might be set on.

Thanks. Yep I have the X35 as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Just bought an X35 second hand and installed it today. Looks great!

Just a question though regarding the setup. I have a 110in diagonal 2.35:1 screen. It is 550mm from the ceiling. The top of the (or bottom since its upside down!) projector is 550mm from the ceiling so the lens is slightly further down. I am seeing a slight keystone on the edges (when using the lens setup grid) when I have it set to 2.35:1 width; which with my projector location is almost fully zoomed. I just want to know if that is to be expected given I am not projecting into the centre of the screen or should I be able to get rid of it somehow by adjustments?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Krumlov said:

Hi Guys,

Just bought an X35 second hand and installed it today. Looks great!

Just a question though regarding the setup. I have a 110in diagonal 2.35:1 screen. It is 550mm from the ceiling. The top of the (or bottom since its upside down!) projector is 550mm from the ceiling so the lens is slightly further down. I am seeing a slight keystone on the edges (when using the lens setup grid) when I have it set to 2.35:1 width; which with my projector location is almost fully zoomed. I just want to know if that is to be expected given I am not projecting into the centre of the screen or should I be able to get rid of it somehow by adjustments?

Thanks!

No 1 use a decent mount like the peerless precision so can line up to perfection 

make sure projector is or is vertical and horizontally aligned  to the screen using the 3 axis of movement on the mount.

do do not ever use any keystone adjustment 

only lens shift and zoom to align fit picture to screen.

any minor discrepancy wouldn’t worry with as will be in the side masking of the screen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

No 1 use a decent mount like the peerless precision so can line up to perfection 

any minor discrepancy wouldn’t worry with as will be in the side masking of the screen

Yes I got a Peerless mount as recommended.

Seems to be minor to me as I can see it but one or two blips of zoom and yes it is in the masking. I could try and align it left right a little better but that is hard with that mount. It has great roll and pitch adjustment but yaw is tough.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Owen said:

You MUST get the projector exactely horizontal to and at right angles to the screen surface. 

Ok I will tweak some more and get the right angle to the screen. It’s close but I’ll try and get it perfect. I assume all I can do to verify that is look for left right keystone?

If the projector is pointing up or down at the screen (not level) the sides of the image will not be parallel (keystone error).

It is intended that you adjust the vertical position of the image with lens shift ONLY, as that will not introduce keystone error, never tilt the projector.

NEVER use the digital keystone correction unless there is no other option, even then it would be better put up with some keystone error.

If the distance from the centre of the lens to the left and right edges of the screen are not the same the image height will be different on each side. Use a tape measure to check.

Hope this helps.

34 minutes ago, Owen said:

If the projector is pointing up or down at the screen (not level) the sides of the image will not be parallel (keystone error).

I am using a level to ensure this assuming the case is parallel to the light axis.

36 minutes ago, Owen said:

If the distance from the centre of the lens to the left and right edges of the screen are not the same the image height will be different on each side. Use a tape measure to check.

Will do. I think I probably don’t have it perfect in yaw because it is not easy to adjust in small amounts when turning the whole thing by hand. Pitch and roll is easy because it has those adjustment screws.

I will keep trying to refine it though since you are saying it should end up square.

Out of interest is there a diagram that shows how lens shift works? I can’t get my head around how it can display a square image when it is not aligned with the centre of the screen... my previous projector just had one option, you had to align it to the top centre of the screen and it projected down from there....

Rather than rely on a level, simply adjust the image up and down by tilting the projector until the keystone error is removed than adjust the final position of the image with lens shift.

I have not seen any explanation of how lens shift works but it does. Its a feature that is lacking on cheap projectors because it adds signifiant cost to the lens system.

You should be able to get the projected image to match the screen within a couple of mm, assuming the screen isn't out of shape to begin with, and thats not a given.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, just got myself an used x35. Found out it has a problem. I can't turn it back on after it goes to standby. I have to unplug the power cable and wait until the red light goes off then plug again. Only then I can turn it back on. The firmware version is 29.001.

Just wonder if anyone has similar issue?

36 minutes ago, Krumlov said:

No I don't but these are on sale at the moment which would make it easier to cycle power to it. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tp-link/tp-link-hs100-smart-wi-fi-plug/334366/

Thanks, that is a good work around solution.  Still I wanna know what actually wrong with it. Although, what if I accidently turn it off using that TP Link!! The lamp would not be cooling down.

Edited by Noctis

10 hours ago, Noctis said:

Although, what if I accidently turn it off using that TP Link!! The lamp would not be cooling down.

Yes that might be a problem but you do have to start an app on your phone to control it. I have one of these for a different reason and I haven’t had it randomly turn on or off.

16 hours ago, Noctis said:

Just wonder if anyone has similar issue?

Haven't heard of that issue before. By "standby" I assume you mean projector off but still connected to power?

Are you using the remote to turn the projector on? What about the power button on the back of the projector?

4 hours ago, Owen said:

Haven't heard of that issue before. By "standby" I assume you mean projector off but still connected to power?

Are you using the remote to turn the projector on? What about the power button on the back of the projector?

Yes, standby with red light on. I can't turn it back on with either remote or power button at the back. I have to unplug the cable and wait until the light goes off and plug it back again. If I plug it back earlier it also can't turned back on.