Epson Tw 6100, 6100W, 8100, 9100, 9100W Owners Thread

As the group buy is in full swing (just picked up mine) an owners thread is in order

Please put all thoughts, concerns, problems, setup info, comparisons and anything else you can think of relating to this years x100 range projectors.

First up,

I bought the wireless model but wasn't planning on using it at all. While waiting for a hdmi cable i was playing around with the wireless and was mightly impressed. It does take about 10seconds to lock onto a sorce, but once locked on it was rock stable. I know i will be using this for connecting my laptop. For $100 extra on the 9100 i really think its quite good value. Then its just a matter if you can live with the white or want the black! The white for me fits in nicer with my room, but would likely be happy with either

I caved in, Matt gave me a deal that my wife couldnt refuse. She finally let me upgrade the PJ to a 9100 black, so no wireless...thought Id never use it and it would be good as my future dedicated theatre will have darkish colors, so it would suit the room better. This PJ is a MAJOR step up from the TW1000 I had. Blacks are great and colors are just vibrant...not to mention rather sharp too!. I went in thinking Id prefer a DLP look of the BenQ w7000 and I did...but the blacks were astonishingly bad to my eyes on the w7000. A few guys on AVS had reported that the blacks werent as good on the w7000 as it was on the w6000. Epson still has a similar pop that the BenQ had just not as sharp. I love this projector to bits!!!.....I also got a 110" screen too. That will be here in early December. Matt is a great guy to deal with and sat down with me while chucking on different blurays I bought and did a mini shootout between the BenQ and Epson.............Epson won for me :).

If your looking for a shop that will go over and beyond for you, Matt at The Cable Connection is one to talk too.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1353702597' post='1847467]

congrats bud ! they sure are a beauty, glad been able to finally do the pj upgrade wanted too and getting results happy with thats a major step up from what you had :)

Yeah, finally my HT is almost complete..just rear stage needs to be done..but that can be done later :). I actualy like using super resolution...I have mine on 3 and it looks beautiful...almost like that DLP look and no artifacts either. Love this PJ...once I get the bigger screen ill do a calibration.

It's been a good week for me, We had our first child and the misses let me do a PJ and screen update...I got her in good hormonal state it seems LMAO!!. Couldnt be happier right now :D

Nice mate, going for an appointment now. Will do it once I get back. Im guessing all I need from the PJ is the serial number?...Am I correct?...and that is accessed through the menu. I thought I saw it there anyway lol.

Cheers Al

yep serial no, which is in the menus someplace if cant read it off the projector. and yep where bought it from, date of purchase etc. then they send a thing out to you confirming the extended warranty :)

hey guys, back on the asking q business, I missed the 9000 boat and wife has given go ahead for 9100w. Anyway she wants it shelf mounted at rear of room. The shelf is slot floating on the shelving shop website its 450 long 400 deep so would the feet fit on this? think it said holds 30kg. Also this will be about 5m from 120'' 16x9 screen, richard at majestic said this would be fine and he said shelve mounting is cool, is this correct? thanks in advance guys.

Yeah, finally my HT is almost complete..just rear stage needs to be done..but that can be done later :). I actualy like using super resolution...I have mine on 3 and it looks beautiful...almost like that DLP look and no artifacts either. Love this PJ...once I get the bigger screen ill do a calibration.

It's been a good week for me, We had our first child and the misses let me do a PJ and screen update...I got her in good hormonal state it seems LMAO!!. Couldnt be happier right now :D

Congratulations on the birth of your first child. Not thast long ago you were talking about your coming marriage. Also enjoy your new toy.

Certainly impressed with my 9000. Will hold off an upgrade till I get more use out of my 9000 . Possibly 2nd or 3rd gen 4k PJ. So have a bit of time yet.

Edited by MRCRIST

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1353726691' post='1847516]

yep serial no, which is in the menus someplace if cant read it off the projector. and yep where bought it from, date of purchase etc. then they send a thing out to you confirming the extended warranty :)

Also on the box

When register you also get a $15 coupon off the Epson store (good if you want to put towards extra glasses)

Edited by David1

hey guys, back on the asking q business, I missed the 9000 boat and wife has given go ahead for 9100w. Anyway she wants it shelf mounted at rear of room. The shelf is slot floating on the shelving shop website its 450 long 400 deep so would the feet fit on this? think it said holds 30kg. Also this will be about 5m from 120'' 16x9 screen, richard at majestic said this would be fine and he said shelve mounting is cool, is this correct? thanks in advance guys.

good stuff the 9100 brings the rf glasses over the 9000 which is a bonus.

my 9000w has same size casing I would say a 450long by 400 deep shelf is going to be too close for comfort. not quite width of the pj and keep in mind you have rear connections. fitting on the shelf hooked up is going to be a struggle I would think. instead of a rear shelf is it possible to go a wall mount eg

the peerless prg exa precision mount which should pick up at $100 or so from the us, check the 9000 owners thread.

can see my 9000w wall mounted here using the peerless mount,

post-2123-0-35918500-1341015076_thumb.jp

as to whether good for screen size for 5m throw check the distance calculator on the epson site :)

Also on the box

When register you also get a $15 coupon off the Epson store (good if you want to put towards extra glasses)

yeah theyre pretty good that way, I ended up spending my $15 on some epson photo paper :)

Congratulations on the birth of your first child. Not thast long ago you were talking about your coming marriage. Also enjoy your new toy.

Certainly impressed with my 9000. Will hold off an upgrade till I get more use out of my 9000 . Possibly 2nd or 3rd gen 4k PJ. So have a bit of time yet.

Thanks Crist,

Yeah I remember we were talking about it a while back. We had a son :).

Looks like your HT journey is going great!. The 9000/9100's are bloody awesome PJ's.

One thing I have noticed guys and maybe you can help me. I tested out the 9100 before I bought it from Matt in his Batcave showroom and the blacks were nice and deep. When I bought it back home........they are great *worlds apart from the TW1000 I had* but it looks like a lot of light is reflecting around the room and its reflecting back on the screen coz you can see it getting lighter lol. and not making the blacks look as black as Id like. I am getting a bigger screen would that maybe help?....not sure!. It hasnt been calibrated yet as Im waiting to put a few hundred hours on it before I do that. Im just running lamp on ECO and the THX mode as it gives the most natural look to me.

Cheers

Edited by buddhamus

eco thx is the most natural bud, most definitely if just a typical light wall ceiling lounge room setup you will have a lot of light coming off the screen reflected back onto the screen impacting on the blacks. Matts room remember was black walls, ceiling dark carpet, even back wall was with black curtains so wont be a lot reflecting back on screen ! its why people go for the bat cave, gives you something to look forward to with the dedicated room.

bigger screen will mean probably a touch more light will reflect off but probably not going to change a massive amount.

re calibration the light drop off on the epson lamps seems to be 2/5s of bugger all so wouldnt bother too much about waiting for 100s of hours. I think mine we calibrated on 60 hours or was it 100 but wasnt much more than that :)

Shelf mounting is a good option as it allows easy access to the projector to clean air filters, change bulbs etc. But you really want the shelf to be large enough - 50mm each side on the width past the projectors width and the same at the front. The back, well if you can have a good 100mm from back of the PJ to wall for airflow and cables it would serve you well.

Shelf mounting is a good option as it allows easy access to the projector to clean air filters, change bulbs etc. ~

actually not to dissagree with you on this being the case for projectors generally, but on the epsons hanging on a mount, access to filter and bulb is actually very easy as it is all on the side pointing down at you. With regard the bulb this is just a hatch with easy access when on a mount when looking up at the projector and the filter is just behind the front vent that comes out very easily either way you mount it.

thats not to say a shelf might be good choice for say down the track where might end up getting something else apart from an epson as well.

~But you really want the shelf to be large enough - 50mm each side on the width past the projectors width and the same at the front. The back, well if you can have a good 100mm from back of the PJ to wall for airflow and cables it would serve you well.

totally agree with that, and given your recommendations the shelf would need to be atleast 560mm wide and 550mm deep given the size of the projector. pete "..." is using a shelf maybe worth the op getting some ideas as kind of thing be pretty suitable I think :)

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1353797330' post='1847672]

actually not to dissagree with you on this being the case for projectors generally, but on the epsons hanging on a mount, access to filter and bulb is actually very easy as it is all on the side pointing down at you. With regard the bulb this is just a hatch with easy access when on a mount when looking up at the projector and the filter is just behind the front vent that comes out very easily either way you mount it.

thats not to say a shelf might be good choice for say down the track where might end up getting something else apart from an epson as well.

totally agree with that, and given your recommendations the shelf would need to be atleast 560mm wide and 550mm deep given the size of the projector. pete "..." is using a shelf maybe worth the op getting some ideas as kind of thing be pretty suitable I think :)

Agree Al and Rich and agree on shelf size required also.

I am a fan of shelves if mounting at rear for those that are installing PJ themselves as many buy a mount where it is not easy to adjust the 3 axis ( pitch,yaw and roll) and can get themselves into strife.

A shelf installation can be easier given a shelf is installed level...lol.

and the screen is also installed level and square as well :lol:

seriously though most houses are not actually that square or level which is what I suspect probably what gets most people into a bother with this stuff ! :D

Thanks for the discussion guys, yeah really like the shelf idea, so who has one on that shelf pete is it could i please get some pics or links where you got it. I really wanted to ceiling mount it but boss doesnt want it( hanging down and messy) is there any mounts that you can run the power cord up and through and in to the roof as i have power up there and will be running wireless so i would not see any cables at all. cheers Chris.

Thanks for the discussion guys, yeah really like the shelf idea, so who has one on that shelf pete is it could i please get some pics or links where you got it. I really wanted to ceiling mount it but boss doesnt want it( hanging down and messy) is there any mounts that you can run the power cord up and through and in to the roof as i have power up there and will be running wireless so i would not see any cables at all. cheers Chris.

all mounts I know run cable internally. pm pete, his forum handle is "..."

Thanks for the discussion guys, yeah really like the shelf idea, so who has one on that shelf pete is it could i please get some pics or links where you got it.

I have this one mate for my 9000:-

http://www.shelvingshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=620

Dimensions are perfect. You need to order the clips separately. There's a small gap between the clips and where the shelf slots into them allowing extra space to run cables behind the shelf (and down/thru the wall behind it).

Thanks Crist,

One thing I have noticed guys and maybe you can help me. I tested out the 9100 before I bought it from Matt in his Batcave showroom and the blacks were nice and deep. When I bought it back home........they are great *worlds apart from the TW1000 I had* but it looks like a lot of light is reflecting around the room and its reflecting back on the screen coz you can see it getting lighter lol. and not making the blacks look as black as Id like. I am getting a bigger screen would that maybe help?....not sure!. It hasnt been calibrated yet as Im waiting to put a few hundred hours on it before I do that. Im just running lamp on ECO and the THX mode as it gives the most natural look to me.

Cheers

Yep

I noticed the same with my 9000. Nothing really you can do but paint the room black and put in black drapes. I think your missus's hormones will not allow you to do this :D else install one of those DNP screens which cost a fortune.

Edited by MRCRIST

Yep

I noticed the same with my 9000. Nothing really you can do but paint the room black and put in black drapes. I think your missus's hormones will not allow you to do this :D else install one of this DNP screens which cost a fortune.

Yeah, black drapes aint gonna happen lmao!. I looked at those DNP screens...my god what a price for a screen. Noway ill be paying that much for a screen lol. At least I know what this projector is capable of and I am very VERY happy with the performance of the blacks it produces...might not be as deep as JVC's but I do think over the years it's getting bloody close to them. It will be interesting how Epson improve in the next couple of years...the price/performance/customer service/warranty is outstanding. No wonder the GB on these things go crazy lol.

3-4k upwards for a 87-100inch screen lol

hehe try about $6.5k for a 100" and thats reduced nearly $9k !

http://www.homecinemacentral.com.au/cgi-bin/shopcart.cgi?Dynamic+PROJECTION%20SCREENS++9

I would suggest anyone thinking of one to check out in person though as not something found to my liking. One of the BP stores I visited once had one, not sure they still deal with them or not.