Foxtel Signal To Stb To Ntsc Tv

nicmac

G'day Guys

I have recently bought a Samsung UN40EH5000 LED LCD TV from Japan and have brought it back into Australia. Unfortunately for me I was not of sound mind (drunk) when I bought it and have ended up with an NTSC TV with QAM and ATSC tuners.

I am a subscriber to FOXTEL but can only watch it in Black and White.

My current setup is for a big commercial environment and I currently have RF modulators distributing the FOXTEL signal to all TVs via RF.

What I would like to know is can I use the RF modulated FOXTEL signal and feed it into the RF input on an Australian STB (any kind) and then connect composite video from STB to the AV1 input of the TV to receive a colour PAL picture.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help.

What I would like to know is can I use the RF modulated FOXTEL signal and feed it into the RF input on an Australian STB (any kind) and then connect composite video from STB to the AV1 input of the TV to receive a colour PAL picture.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help.

Try running it through a VCR if you have one lying around, some are able to output different formats, though in most cases that's probably taking a signal from an NTSC source and making it PAL.

Otherwise a device like this should be able to modulate the signal for you.

Edited by GoForMoe

Nicmac,

Use the HDMI output from the Foxtel box into the HDMI input on the TV. This will work in full colour. If your Foxtel box does not have an HDMI output you will have to get the HD service.

You will have to buy an HDMI cable. You can also connect an HD STB to the TV as well. This will also work.

AlanH

Nicmac,

Use the HDMI output from the Foxtel box into the HDMI input on the TV. This will work in full colour. If your Foxtel box does not have an HDMI output you will have to get the HD service.

You will have to buy an HDMI cable. You can also connect an HD STB to the TV as well. This will also work.

AlanH

...assuming his TV supports 50Hz that is. As the TV is from an NTSC country, it is quite possible that it may only support 23.976Hz and 59.94Hz inputs, so to be absolutely certain of it working, he really needs a frame rate converter to convert our 50Hz to 59.94Hz or 23.976Hz.

Foxtel boxes are switchable to output in NTSC (at least as far as I can find specs wise), but that's irrelevant, the first post mentions that the foxtel is coming over RF as part of an analogue distribution in a commercial setting, as in there's no Foxtel box to directly plug anything into near the TV itself.

Edited by GoForMoe

Try running it through a VCR if you have one lying around, some are able to output different formats, though in most cases that's probably taking a signal from an NTSC source and making it PAL.

Most sets are multistandard on their analogue inputs so its likely that no format conversion is necessary. An old VCR is probably the best first step to try.

I have a new Samsung Smart tv, only last week, (faulty) But I have been trying to put my Austar Flinders standard box through my Smart set,For years I watch & record Austar by using the 3 (y,w,r) composite lead through my LG DVDR,which is connected to my Vivo tv.on my 2nd HDMI when I switch to HDMI2.

I have never had a problem,with this, I have tried to see Austar on my new Samsung Smart, but to no avail, as there are only component plugs on this one, and NO composite.This is so different, and easy for me with the old system. Looks like I will be cancelling the Austar account,as I tried to use the new tv by watching the internet, but of course when I try to use it, it asks me for my p/word etc, but the account is still under Austar, and when I put my security via the new tv, Foxtel rejects my security. Talk about difficult for a an oldie like me!!

Wish I had just kept the old tv, now I have a faulty Smart TV, he came today and stated it was definitely faulty, had a text from SAMSUNG Vic, telling me that the report was sent to Samsung H.O in Sydney I guess.Now I just have to wait..The colour fault is atrocious..If they think I will be unpacking a new one, and re-packing the faulty one, they have another thing coming!!I cannot lift the tv,it is SO heavy for me at my age.

Is there another way I can watch austar,as there are no other fitting on my Flinders standard box that would connect to the Samsung Smart tv?

Edited by Megilu

An RF modulator will solve your lack of composite inputs if your TV has an analogue tuner.

Another option is to run component (R, G, B, W, R) from your DVD recorder to your TV. The DVD recorder should be able to convert the composite signal to a component signal for output.

Thank you both for info re my Smart tv,There is no yellow socket on the Smart t v,BUT, I have connected my Austar to the tv, and reset my tv with my composite lead,connected to the component, but don't ask me how I worked it..lol There are 4 component sockets on the Smartset,of course I only have three composite lead,y,w,r,I swapped them around and Bingo!,, it worked,The only thing I am disappointed in is that I cant record Austar on my dvdr,which I could before this Smart tv..Oh well, once my faulty Smart is replaced,I will have to remember how I connected it all up. : I hope lol

Edited by Megilu

There is no yellow socket, but there is a green socket with a yellow ring around it, (or a plug in adaptor that has a mostly green socket and has a yellow ring on it). Which it appears you have plugged it into one of those, else you would have no audio at this stage, or you would have a B+W picture.

To get it going using the DVDR you need to plug the dvd-r into the sockets the Austar is using now, and then plug the Austar box into any of the AV inputs on the DVD-R.

Edited by nbound

nbound,thank you, I have the HDMI from the dvdr connected into the Smart set, should I remove the HDMI from the dvdr and Tv, and just use the composite leads between the dvdr,austar,and tv? I was using my 5.8 av sender with the composite lead,connected to the 2nd composite socket in the dvdr, so that I can watch a video, or usually austar in my bedroom, I saw an item with 4 composite sockets on it,can I use that for the Av sender, although there is no cord etc with it, just the 4 sockets on a triangle shaped item..I cant recall what they call it...: