Denon AVC-A1SR/A1SE vs Onkyo 989v2 vs ?? (upgrading from a Sansui)

Hi all,

Long story short, my Sansui AU-417 packed it in. This thing was great with my B&W 601s but didnt really do my B&W CDM 7SE speakers justice. I'm looking at replacing the 601s with 805S speakers in the future (I've actually found a pair!). I'd like to move to a proper surround setup so I can feed myself with surround SACD.

Current setup:

B&W 601 S2 (would like to replace with 805S)

B&W CDM 7SE

Yamaha YST-SW100 (I LOVE this thing. Dual 6.5" drivers and cost me about 100 bucks.

Marantz DV-8300

Sony JB-980 MD deck (doesn't see much use these days)

ASUS Xonar STX (just bought some opamp upgrades)

Onkyo TX-DS595 which I had sitting around. This thing was rubbish when I bought it for $1200 and it's still rubbish now, easily lightyears behind the Sansui. This is an interim measure.

Where things get interesting: the other setup here has a Denon AVC-A1SR. I love this amp, absolutely love it on my CDM 7SE's and would definitely say it does a better job than the Sansui. I've been able to source a secondhand A1SE which has the same amplification and will be sufficient for my needs in terms of technology. Two 8ch discrete inputs? awesome.

It has a few drawbacks. No pure direct mode with an active LFE out so I need to run the sub off the L+R pre-outs which is okay until I get a real power amp to power the 805S's down the road.

I can also get an Onkyo TX-DS989v2 for reasonably cheap, however it's cheaper than the Denon, weighs less and I can't remember how this thing sounded.

I can then start to look at the Rotel combos, the Marantz SR-12 and SR-14 series (nobody seems to be selling them secondhand).

The reason I'm looking at a receiver is I've seen some great deals on flagship amps which don't do all the latest standards but the amplification in them seems decent enough.

I don't really want to spend more than about $1500 on the amp unless I'm getting something substantially better than the aforementioned Denon.

Thanks all!

Have you considered the Emotiva UMC-1? Only a processor and no amp facilities (you'll need to run separates) but from many reports it is highly regarded for its processing way above its US$699 price tag. Landed from the US would be just over $900AU and runs on 230v 50hz. Just a thought. I'm ordering one tomorrow