Samsung's New 75" Flagship - Series 9 Ua75Es9000M

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a perfectly valid way of looking at it mate so +1.

I have never owned a Plasma but have always liked them as you well know. I do own a Samsung LCD TV (as you do) plus other LCD monitors and find them very disappointing in different ways, just like other LCD's I've seen. Neither is perfect by any stretch but I have a strong preference for the technology I don't own and likely never will.

One mans meat is another mans poison.

As for this Samsung, its seems strange they are releasing a 75" when Sharp have an 80" and a 90" for very competitive prices. Cant see the point really and I doubt many others will either.

Panasonic have had an 85" and a 103" for years but at crazy prices, the US 85" model is selling for $19.5k on Amazon and the 103" for over $40k, in Oz they are no doubt more expensive.

If they could get the 85" down to $10k it would be a good buy and these days I really don't see why they couldn't and still make money.

With big LCD's going so cheap I doubt we will ever see any 75" plus Plasmas from Samsung and the Panasonic's will likely die out as well. A great shame as OLED is no where near ready to fill that market segment and may never.

As far as I'm aware Panasonic has had one of the biggest production models for a while now, in the 152" 4k 3D TH-152UX1 Professional Plasma - http://panasonic.com...a-TH-152UX1.asp - http://panasonic.net...TH-152UX1_E.pdf. But at over half a tonne and half a million dollars it's probably out of the reach of some consumers. The second last 103" non-3D model is in Seven's Martin Place studio's, used as the backdrop for Sunrise.

Edited by TomW

But at over half a tonne and half a million dollars it's probably out of the reach of some consumers.

Only some consumers, the rest will probably want more than one. They sound like a good thing for the holiday homes and the yacht. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Bing Lee in Armidale (Northern NSW) are delivering my Sammy 75" tomorrow. They say it'll be the first one delivered in Australia. It replaces my much loved Sony 70" SXRD which died recently.

Cheers

George2

Hi Everyone,

Bing Lee in Armidale (Northern NSW) are delivering my Sammy 75" tomorrow. They say it'll be the first one delivered in Australia. It replaces my much loved Sony 70" SXRD which died recently.

Cheers

George2

Nice, look forward to a review as I am keen to look at one of these in the flesh!

By the time my Sammy 75" arrived on Wednesday arvo I'd come down with a bad gastric infection and was as sick as a dog. I haven't been well enough to do a full check but this is what I've got so far (and I'm very happy).

First, the buy price was $8799, $700 under RRP. I was happy with this given there were no Oz internet or other prices out there to use in bargaining. The set wasn't even on HN's data base at that time. Others should do better as the set becomes more widely available, but I'm told by Bing Lee and HN that it's likely to be in short supply for some time.

Basically, what I've done is to check out the 2D PQ using a number of sources, blu-ray rips in ISO form played back with Power DVD 12, torrent downloads in 720p, and free to air TV via my Topfield PVR (but not the Sammy's onboard digital tuner yet). I wasn't happy with the PQ out of the box. Black levels, contrast, brightness and detail were excellent, but colours were overcooked (green grass and foliage looked artificially green for example) flesh tones were too often too pink, and faces sometimes looked like they'd had cosmetic surgery (excessive smoothness due to to a too high sharpness setting).

It's too early for picture settings to be out there on the net, and I'm not a calibration expert. But I knew that the picture processing of the Sammy UN65ES8000 is very similar to the 9000, which merely adds two features from the D8000 back in, Cinema Black and Smart LED. So I found and applied some 8000 settings :www.digitaltrends com/tv-review/samsung-un65es8000-review/ I followed these but set sharpnes to 0. There are many others out there. Further refinement is definitely possible, but I'm now very happy with the PQ. Colours and flesh tones are now more natural, and the excessive smoothness has gone. Together with the excellent blacks, contrast, detail and brightness, this makes a great picture, perhaps the best I've seen.

Anything not mentioned, I haven't checked. I'll post again when I have more to report.

George2