Sign in to follow this  
everyones_shadow

Nobody told me TVs have fans

Hi all

I occaisionally read reviews of HT gear and in ecvery projector review and most AVR reviews the noise level of the cooling fans is mentioned. Many projectors that otherwise perform very well are rejected by the reviewers because of noisy fans.

But not once, ever, have I read mention of the fans built into modern TVs. My Panasonic G10 gently blows the curtain around and the fans are certainly audible (if not distracting) in silent scenes.

Do I happen to own the world's only fan-forced TV or is this something common but never an issue?

ES

Can't say I have ever noticed a fan noise from our Sony but you've encouraged me to check, ES.

Tried to think of a humorous alternative source of the breeze but it would be going in the opposite direction.

Cheers

wolster

fans are only in plasma, and lots of them right from the early days. wolsters sony must be an LCD as sony havent made a plasma in 5-6 years (never made a good one). The fans shouldnt be audiable unless there is something wrong I wouldnt think.

fans are only in plasma ...

No, they are in LCD's too. The fans in our Sony Bravia 32" LCD are a little louder and higher pitched than those in our Panasonic Viera 42" plasma. We notice the Bravia fans more now that it is mounted on the wall in the bedroom and we listen at quieter volumes, later at night. It may just be different fan brands but I'm wondering if (like with PC fans) the fans in the Panasonic are larger and can spin at lower RPM to achieve the same air flow and a lower pitch, lower volume, and therefore less obtrusive noise.

I'm a big fan of the last generation Pioneers plasma's.:party

No, they are in LCD's too. The fans in our Sony Bravia 32" LCD are a little louder and higher pitched than those in our Panasonic Viera 42" plasma. We notice the Bravia fans more now that it is mounted on the wall in the bedroom and we listen at quieter volumes, later at night. It may just be different fan brands but I'm wondering if (like with PC fans) the fans in the Panasonic are larger and can spin at lower RPM to achieve the same air flow and a lower pitch, lower volume, and therefore less obtrusive noise.

Happy to be corrected.

We onced had a lg plasma.And the fan noise in it was so high that i complained to lg and they sent a tech guy out to replace them.Seems one was faulty but still you can here them after they were fixed.It later died anyway and now we have a samsung plasma and i cant here any thing at all.If there a fan in it its bloody good cause i cant here anything

Our NEC 50" has a fan. On the warm days, it's quiet loud too. Otherwise it's not really audible. I'm guessing it's part of the reason they are such hungry power suckers!