Reception Optus D1 Bandung West Java Indonesia

We receive Optus C1 in Bandung Java Indonesia...only NITV and info channels with some radio at the moment.....receiver is Open Box....dish is a 1.8 metre (solid) with KU LNB.

I see via Lyngsat that Optus D1 has ABC FTA and SBS FTA both hd and sd.....can anyone let me know if we should be able to receive Opstus D1 here? I am an ex pat Oz,,,retired in Indonesia...local channels are not so good.....

thanks Col......we will have our local installer try this as soon as the post ramadan holidays end...hopefully sometime early next week.........as a matter of interest I notice that BBC world asia pacific has fta HD on Intelsat 8 so we'll try this as well.....we receive fta from circa 14 satellites......this forum is great!

thanks Alanh......australia network not very good....still only 4/3 picture and inferior programming.......however direct ABC programmes and SBS would be great to see..es[ecially in High Definition...I do appreciate your suggestion though. If Australia network went HD or even 16 by 9 with some direct tx's of normal ABC programming it would be far...I guess they need govt approval for anything they put out into the Asia Pacific region/s....here in Indonesia there are few if any Australian TV shows on local networks and no Australian Movies at the theatres....I guess this is the case vice-versa......I see that Australia Network is up for licence renewal...when it was associated with one of the australian commercial networks, the programming was quite good for a while.

favenchi,

I would email Australia Network, it is run by the ABC. I would ask the question as to why they cannot transmit all their programs in widescreen SD.

As far as HD the ABC only transmits terrestrially 1280 x 720 x 50p on ABC24 which is basically a news channel. Little of their programming is an HD source.

SBSHD terestrially is 1280 x 1080 x 25i. They have very little HD original.

The ownership of Australia Network was between Sky and ABC became a political bun fight. The ABC now owns Australia TV "permanently".

Push the ABC as hard as you can to atleast get widescreen SD. If you want HD you have to convince them to use DVB-S2 modulation and the viewers will need HD receivers for all programs.

The ABC is transmitting internal satellite TV using DVB-S2 for VAST viewers,

AlanH

Must be a few years back that I had a lot of email contact with Australia Television....they took up one suggestion to run an Australian movie every week....but did not have it in their budget to go widescreen or HD...I am fascinated by your details of HD programming for SBS and ABC........We can receive Australia televison via Intelsat 8...used to be PanamSat 8.........it is rebroadcast via Indovision which denigrates anything of good original quality in the re-tx. Would be so nice to see quality progrmaming which is on UKTV (Foxtel) or an HD verison of BBC Knowledge or BBC entertainment...not available here....local shops sell HD LED LCD and Plasma...but with no terrestrial HF TX the locals are quite upset they cnanot see those nice shop pictures when they get the set back home. we get fta HD from NHK (Intelsat) CCTV (chinasat) nd this one gave us our only HD live goverage of the Olympics....now BBC world is HD on intelsat...our installer will tune that on our Humax this weekend.......for Optus TV we use an Open Box...using a fixed 1.8 meter dish. We also see really good HD via bluray discs imported from Amazon.com Indonesia has the same bluray region as the US.......and so some blu rays are appearing "pirated" in the shops........not all are real bluray. But the real 1080p is soooooo nice.

thanks for your great info AlanH