Where To Get Fidelio Velvet From ?

• 10 months later...
On 22/10/2015 at 1:49 PM, oztheatre said:

Yes pretty sure that's the one.

Sorry for digging up an old thread. Is that actually Fidelio or just the closest available in Oz? I want to line my walls and ceiling in the front stage area of my HT.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Sorry for digging up an old thread. Is that actually Fidelio or just the closest available in Oz? I want to line my walls and ceiling in the front stage area of my HT.

No it's called 'Eagle double velvet' not Fidelio.

Depending how close the side walls are to the screen you might be able to get away with something that might give you some acoustic benefit like a wall carpet?

No it's called 'Eagle double velvet' not Fidelio.

Depending how close the side walls are to the screen you might be able to get away with something that might give you some acoustic benefit like a wall carpet?

I've already got strips of fidelio above and below my OZTS 130 scope screen that I bought off Prior( the fidelio not the screen). Would be nice to match it, in other areas of the stage I have polymax absorb in black which is nowhere as absorbing as fidelio but doesn't cause reflections either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/10/2016 at 6:50 AM, Hatlesschimp said:

Hey its on sale at the moment!

74a785bf3f66f3b61591240d58b309b2.jpg

I'd be grabbing as much as you can afford of that stuff! I might even get some myself as I don't have full rolls here, it's too expensive, would be more than 45 a metre.

That stuff is one of the closest to fidelio black.

13 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Where are you guys planning to place this velvet?

Sorry silly question :)

k3nnis, normally around the screen walls and ceiling. You can either pin it to the ceiling, but you get quilting, (3 pins across the width and spaced about 40cm apart across the length) or apply it to some manageable sized sheets of corflute and attach to ceiling and or walls. I tried it with 2.4 x 1.2 metre sheets of corflute once but it was so hot that day the glue was drying before I could apply to a full sheet, so half size is probably better.. or move somewhere with a milder climate!

When you use velvet like this, make sure you have it so the blackest side is facing your seating position as there is a sheen to velvet, you have to check each panel before attaching to the ceiling or wall.

I bought 15m of it at $410 delivered from memory. I put it thtough with paypal because i couldnt be bothered getting out of bed to get the credit card. The purchase request through the spotlight website said it didnt go through but this morning i got an email saying it had and paypal confirmed this. Only dropped 3k in the last few days on some home theater purchases. I guess my wife hasnt seen it yet because im still alive. But to me I need the AT screen from Rich OzTheatre and they are the best in Australia. But the velvet will be stretched over either thin wood frames or coreflute panels with Velcro all around the front wall where the screen is mounted on a false wall.

Here is a render of what I hope my room will look like, excuse the pillars. I dont think they will be there. Looking at some on wall krix perhaps. The plasterers are almost finished at the moment but I dont know if I can get them to do the Soffit/bulkhead. I just dont know how I should have it. Im trying to keep it nutural so if I ever remove the false wall it doesnt look strange being more longer to the wall then the side walls. I guess O shouldnt worry about that and just live in the moment.
16a0b53fe5812290d330b944b83d323e.jpg
f7b05a00746948c0dd7920e73e08cfdc.jpgad2a78d68fccbbecd9060b5821c925ea.jpg

That website was spotlight.com.au . Their website is down at the moment for maintenance. (1:24am). I saw it in the store a week or so ago with my wife and thought damn this stuff is good enough for me but was choking on the price but then seen it on special online and bought straightaway!

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

@Hatlesschimp @oztheatre Would you consider this fabric suitable for covering acoustic absorption panels? I have several sheets of polymax absorb under and to each side of my screen and just want to tidy it up. As I wish to use this fabric to line my ceiling, it seems an obvious choice for covering the panels too. The idea is to simply make simple timber frames the polymax will free stand inside, and then stretch fabric in front so the polymax can't topple out.

I guess the other option is a form of speaker grill type of material.

Edited by blybo

3 hours ago, blybo said:

@Hatlesschimp @oztheatre Would you consider this fabric suitable for covering acoustic absorption panels? I have several sheets of polymax absorb under and to each side of my screen and just want to tidy it up. As I wish to use this fabric to line my ceiling, it seems an obvious choice for covering the panels too. The idea is to simply make simple timber frames the polymax will free stand inside, and then stretch fabric in front so the polymax can't topple out.

I guess the other option is a form of speaker grill type of material.

No I dont think it's open enough. I know fidelio isn't open enough but some have used it for acoustic panel covers but not sure of any measured results.

The eagle spotlight stuff is heavier from memory so I doubt it would work. You need to be able to blow thru it without any resistance or as little as possible to test for sound transparency.

Speaker grille cloth much better for sound panels. I certainly wouldn't compromise the effectiveness of the panels and what you cover them with over how black it can be. When the room is dark and no light is shining on the panels they won't be visible anyway. What you want is for them to work well over how how they might look when the lights are on.

This looks ok http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dark-Black-Speaker-Grille-Cloth-34cm-x-43cm-Professional-Grade-Quality/252605408938?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Ddf4e30ef6dab4a188b6ebd2f66a1aa37%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D9%26rkt%3D27%26sd%3D331572279511

http://www.autex.com.au/acoustics/vertiface/

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/Acoustic-Grille-Cloth/Acoustic+Cloth.html

And this is the Guilford of maine stuff from the US.. I was sure I saw this here in Australia some years ago.. ?

https://acousticalsolutions.com/product-category/acoustic-fabrics/

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
4 hours ago, audiohippo said:

Doesn’t look like Spotlight stock it any more and Sterns doesn’t produce it anymore either. 

anyone found an alternative?

You'd be best to go into their store and sift thru all the rolls of leftover material they have. Once a line is deleted for whatever reason (can't get anymore or not selling well enough) they put the leftovers on the floor so you need to search in store. You never know what you'll find.

• 5 months later...
On 11/01/2021 at 6:02 PM, oztheatre said:

You'd be best to go into their store and sift thru all the rolls of leftover material they have. Once a line is deleted for whatever reason (can't get anymore or not selling well enough) they put the leftovers on the floor so you need to search in store. You never know what you'll find.

Digging up an old thread, any sort of black velvet seems to be so hard to find!

Any one have a new source or an alternative? Would a 100%cotton velvet work as well? Are there specific properties we are looking for in the velvet such as the acetate content?

1 hour ago, shazza6887 said:

Digging up an old thread, any sort of black velvet seems to be so hard to find!

Any one have a new source or an alternative? Would a 100%cotton velvet work as well? Are there specific properties we are looking for in the velvet such as the acetate content?

They are normally rayon and acetate 60/40 or so.. might be 40/60. But the way velvet is cut, the pile is cut in half which gives you 2 pieces. Only stuff close in the country was what spotlight imported the eagle double velvet.

Might be worth buying some black velvet curtains off ebay and cutting them up. they're cheap as chips.

These have some sheen to them, but when no light is hitting it they look fine.

This would be cheaper than the fuel spent driving to and from a spotlight store.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/372671089166?hash=item56c4ed8a0e:g:0GUAAMXQUY1Q9Qr9

about 6 lineal metres at 114cm wide or so. so under $6 a metre delivered. would be worth it just to cut them into pieces and see how it works.

4 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

These have some sheen to them, but when no light is hitting it they look fine.

This would be cheaper than the fuel spent driving to and from a spotlight store.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/372671089166?hash=item56c4ed8a0e:g:0GUAAMXQUY1Q9Qr9

about 6 lineal metres at 114cm wide or so. so under $6 a metre delivered. would be worth it just to cut them into pieces and see how it works.

Ye that the thing, its to cover my media cabinet and 2 sub-woofers which sit about 20cm under the screen,

Ideally would want it to absorb as much light as possible.

I rang about 5 places today all no good.

1 hour ago, shazza6887 said:

Ye that the thing, its to cover my media cabinet and 2 sub-woofers which sit about 20cm under the screen,

Ideally would want it to absorb as much light as possible.

I rang about 5 places today all no good.

Still might work ok as you only need super black really close to the screen like on the frame. Someone who couldn't log on here just sent me this one also so might be worth getting a couple of metres and lay out over cabinet. https://habnfab.com.au/collections/velvet-fabric/products/velvet-black-115cm-wide

There's normally a good and bad side to velvet too, because the pile tends to angle slightly one way it absorbs more light. you'll see it easily when playing around with it which way it should sit. There is also reverse pile shading which you see in velvet when you rub it or carpet with a pile and when you vacuum it you see the angle of the pile sitting each way. 

Then there is faux velvet which is flocking, normally sprayed on, made of acrylic, but have seen it welded to cotton backings and other stuff. I think it falls off over time. Real woven velvet is the best thing to use.

image.png.40493e44fd13e619316ba4bfe5cb24f1.png