Sign in to follow this  
timoxx4

Best Motorised Screen For <$2500 ?

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my old Screen Technics manual roll down screen with something motorised and remote control with IR remote and was hoping for some suggestions on what's a good screen to get ?

I am after a 16:9 92" screen in a totally light controlled room. Projector is a JVC HD550.

I would like something a bit better than my Screen Technics if possible. Actually i would love a OZ theatre screen but they don't make roll down ones which is a real shame. Stewart Screens is out of the question as the quote i got was $5900 for one. I am prepared to spend a max of $2500.

LP Morgan do one but i have no idea on the quality difference compared to my current one if it would be better or the same or how it would be with out tab tensioned ? It has radial cuts but no tabs so ???? Everyone says if you are getting a roll down it MUST have tabs or it will get waves ?

And yeah i have to have a roll down as i have a 46" Sony behind the screen for general TV watching and gaming. Projector is used for movies only.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Tim.

tim not sure how old the screen technics is, but $2.5k will easily buy with some change one of the latest gen screen technics electricinema premium motorised screens that comes with all features your looking for. I have one of these and is flat as a tack a lovely screen.

in the quality motorised australian screens theres only the screen technics or the lp morgan rondo. It has the sides cut which is necessary with its stretchy vinyl material it uses. the benefit with this material is since vinyl and not fabric based there is absolutely no material surface, and since a bit stretch there is no curls either. in material surface it is perhaps better than the screen technics but is also a bit more delicate in structure.

both screens I can highly recommend. neither are tab tensioned and given the screen size I think completely unnecessary. have seen upto 120" versions of these screens and no tab tensioning required in my opinion. theres very flat and no waves or wrinkles.

Have no idea how the stewart motorised screen compares as not something I explored way out of my budget when was buying and you can guarantee any quality tab tensioned screen you look at will be considerably more than standard screen.

like yourself I use a plasma for mostly day to day tv use and such and motorised screen for big screen sport/movies etc. and yeah motorised screen works great in this scenario. either option suggested will do what you want :)

Thanks for that.

My Screen Technics is about 5 years old now. And your right it doesn't really have any waves in it either as i just got up close and had a look. The very bottom bit by the dropper bar is a little curled up but that's only because its been rolled up for some time. It is there Cinema Tech chain drive manual one that i have.

Is their screen material the same as what i have now do you know for there latest motorised screens or do they use a better material for the higher price screens ? I was hoping for something a bit better than what i have now in a new screen.

Also with the LP Morgan you say it has a more stretchy screen material ? Is it a thinner material than the Screen Technics one ? Dose it still have a good backing to block light coming out the back of the screen ?

I understand what you mean about the fabric nature of the Screen Technics material. Its got a real texture to the surface of it. Not completely smooth. So the LP Morgan is totally smooth is it ?

What about others like Da-Lite and Draper ? Also i think OZTS has a ad on there site about possibly getting in some from Screenline from Italy ?

Thanks for that.

My Screen Technics is about 5 years old now. And your right it doesn't really have any waves in it either as i just got up close and had a look. The very bottom bit by the dropper bar is a little curled up but that's only because its been rolled up for some time. It is there Cinema Tech chain drive manual one that i have.

Is their screen material the same as what i have now do you know for there latest motorised screens or do they use a better material for the higher price screens ? I was hoping for something a bit better than what i have now in a new screen.

Also with the LP Morgan you say it has a more stretchy screen material ? Is it a thinner material than the Screen Technics one ? Dose it still have a good backing to block light coming out the back of the screen ?

I understand what you mean about the fabric nature of the Screen Technics material. Its got a real texture to the surface of it. Not completely smooth. So the LP Morgan is totally smooth is it ?

What about others like Da-Lite and Draper ? Also i think OZTS has a ad on there site about possibly getting in some from Screenline from Italy ?

dont really know the cinema tech to be honest tim, maybe give screen technics a call their tech people are pretty helpfull and will tell you straight up if its the same material or improved in any way.

where the screen technics is pretty stiff and rigid material, the lp morgan is very thin almost like a thin flexible rubber/vinyl thats stretchy so a bit of an opposite approach to the screen technics. the rondo is pretty smooth without any kind of surface. but yeah a bit more delicate. but I know some running theirs for years now. probably matter of checking out either seeing which one you prefer.

re da-lite/draper/screen line sorry cant comment but am sure its good product too. in my case I was looking for a custom leader which ruled out any of these imported screens. also wanted to try stay local help aussie industry if can as its pretty good product reasonably priced, with very quick turn around in supply and good in support so for me not really reason to look overseas :)

Ok cool. Well the LP Morgan has me interested mostly. Probably because the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ? lol

I did email them a couple days ago to ask about there screen but with no reply so not sure what to make of that ?

Will shoot ST a message and get the low down on theres next.

Edited by timoxx4

Ok cool. Well the LP Morgan has me interested mostly. Probably because the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ? lol

I did email them a couple days ago to ask about there screen but with no reply so not sure what to make of that ?

Will shoot ST a message and get the low down on theres next.

yeah look I agonised between the two myself, so can understand hehe

best to give the a phone call. anytime have rung they put you straight through to the tech people and you have your answer.

If your looking for something even cheaper then those :) has suggested, the ebay'd version for the money aren't too bad either ( less than $250) to the extent that Selby's here in Melb just gave up trying to compete against them on quality for price, only downside maybe they use rf remotes. A 120" version when used at 16:9 will be about your right size and its a snap to adjust the end limit switches so as to make the screen stop and start where you need too.

Good luck

I am with Al, Screen Technics or LP Morgan.

Da-lite has good reviews but would probably stay local as not sure it adds any real value over the local brands.

So Al just wondering what made up your mind of which screen to go with ? What's the motor in it like ? Quiet ? Fast ?

I have been searching YouTube videos to see one in action but there are none. Would be nice to see one rolling out to see how fast the motor is and how quiet.

+1 for the Screetechnics. I've got a 150" 2.35:1 Electricinema and am extremely happy. Installed it about 3 months ago (4 guys due to roller weight) and am very happy with the unit in total.

Edited by Azz123

So Al just wondering what made up your mind of which screen to go with ? What's the motor in it like ? Quiet ? Fast ?

I have been searching YouTube videos to see one in action but there are none. Would be nice to see one rolling out to see how fast the motor is and how quiet.

missed this sorry,

couple of reasons I think why the screen technics suits, its not as wide as the rondo with its side cut for the same screen size. plus I have young kids one 4 and another 7 and always be worried theyd end up damaging the delicate material of the rondo vs the conventional more hardy stuff the screen technics made off. but thats just my reasons I dont think be unhappy with either screen.

the screen technics is reasonably quiet, a touch quieter than the rondo. both are much quieter than the cheaper and smoother operating than some chinese screens come across. but keep in mind you only put screens down once at start and back up again once finished viewing so in real terms its not something a huge consideration in use.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1344683915' post='1825233]

missed this sorry,

couple of reasons I think why the screen technics suits, its not as wide as the rondo with its side cut for the same screen size. plus I have young kids one 4 and another 7 and always be worried theyd end up damaging the delicate material of the rondo vs the conventional more hardy stuff the screen technics made off. but thats just my reasons I dont think be unhappy with either screen.

the screen technics is reasonably quiet, a touch quieter than the rondo. both are much quieter than the cheaper and smoother operating than some chinese screens come across. but keep in mind you only put screens down once at start and back up again once finished viewing so in real terms its not something a huge consideration in use.

Good point. I've always wondered why folks worry about how noisy the screen is.. when it lowers it takes say 15-20 seconds? Fair enough if it sounded like a DC10 taxying for take off.

Projector noise level is there all the time, screen comes down before the movie anyway... They should make one with speakers that plays some cool thx swirly sound and then tells you to shutup on the back row :)

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1344683915' post='1825233]

missed this sorry,

Cheers mate.

Yeah they would be at 100".

We have been talking about a 92" size screen.

These guys have the LP Morgan in a 100" for about $2150

http://www.justproje...nsmotorised.htm

This is where i plan to get my 92" from.

Edited by timoxx4

tim remember if getting the screen technics to make sure you get the option for 12V trigger thrown in. its about $120 option if remember. even if dont need now. easier to get built in from the start. and gives option to fire off the PJ. which is pretty cool. switch on PJ and the screen comes down, switch off and screen goes up by itself :)