Pioneer Bdp-150

I picked up one of the Pioneer BDP-150 yesterday for a bedroom system. It's feature packed and a great buy at $150. It has 2 USB ports, coaxial and optical spdif outputs, hdmi that's 3D capable and a LAN connection. The ability to playback flac files is a bonus.

I connected it to my home network and installed the Pioneer control app for iPhone. It works and it allows basic control of the unit through the network in minutes.

The GUI is well laid out and easy to read.

The supplied remote has quite a few buttons to control the unit, I am not using it as the app offers me enough control.

HDMI handshaking problems seem common at these and much higher price point, no problems here though. I tried the unit on both LCD panels and they both responded within a few seconds and allowed 1080p without any issues.

A main use of the player was for CD playback. The coax and optical outputs allow me flexibility and options for connecting to my 2 channel DAC. The sound appears ok for a sub $150 player. I am certain it will mellow out over time.

These are priced so well and the units are made in Japan. I think these units will have enough features and performance to keep most viewers and listeners happy.

I will connect the player to my dedicated 2 channel setup in the lounge at a later date for a review of sound only. I am curious to hear the difference between a $150 Blu Ray player used as a transport and a $1000 CD player used as a transport.

My father-in Law has one of these

connected to an 09 Kuro via HDMI.

Last week for no reason it just stopped displaying video and no longer displays the idle/ screen saver "PIONEER" logo

it will output all the menu graphics, play and stop on-screen commands, etc and also audio without a problem

have done the usual suspects of changing HDMI cables, using another input, etc. no result

Factory reset performed, no issues with handshaking.

we're stumped.

just thinking something in the video board has died

any other ideas?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm after a 3D BR player, must be able to play DVD region free, full range of formats (DivX etc.) and can take an external HDD via USB.

This player seems to fit the bill and has decent PQ ratings but it's a bit old now...

Any better out there?.

The LG BP620 is a fine player which will fit the bill. Also has wifi and can be made fully multi-region.

Try EBay.

• 2 weeks later...