Foxtel Via Satellite & Fta Hd Channels

Noticing Foxtel via satellite has no free-to-air HD channels (GEM, OneHD, 7Mate, SBSHD). The only one they have is ABC News 24.

I understand cable customers get these channels.

What's the reason for satellite customers not having access to these channels?

Turns out, my HDPVR broke down this week, so I'm left with the inconvenience of having to watch FTA HD channels in another room, as they're not accessible via the IQHD box......& I don't see the point in purchasing a new PVR, just for the HD FTA channels (which I don't watch a lot of to be honest, but it's just good to have them there).

Noticing Foxtel via satellite has no free-to-air HD channels (GEM, OneHD, 7Mate, SBSHD). The only one they have is ABC News 24.

I understand cable customers get these channels.

What's the reason for satellite customers not having access to these channels?

Turns out, my HDPVR broke down this week, so I'm left with the inconvenience of having to watch FTA HD channels in another room, as they're not accessible via the IQHD box......& I don't see the point in purchasing a new PVR, just for the HD FTA channels (which I don't watch a lot of to be honest, but it's just good to have them there).

The main reason is the FTA TV networks have to pay Foxtel to carry the additional channels via satellite.... and they won't do that, especially when the majority of viewers entitled to watch those channels can receive them perfectly with their FTA terrestrial TV tuner or STB.

Cost, and less need as foxtel metro only cover a few tv markets. Austar covers dozens. Besides the IQHD has four satelite tuners already, add another 2 to cover FTA and you have a six tuner device :|. Also you would need the Mystar HD or you will again be stuck with SD only channels (yes - even on FTA)

Edited by nbound

You don't use a tv with inbuilt tuner?

You don't use a tv with inbuilt tuner?

Wow of course! I completely forgot about the inbuilt tuner! (Pretty sure I've got one.....never used it in both plasmas owned).....

That should be a nice, easy solution. I've still lost all my recordings on the PVR....but I'll try to remove the HDD myself transfer them onto the PC.

Thanks, Wags.

Edit....checking the TVs inbuilt tuner now....HD channels are rubbish quality, but at they're accessible.

Edited by Ralfi

Its something Foxtel has to consider now is FTA tuners, now that they are a true national company that isnt focused on metro eastern state cities. Considering Foxtel now cover the entire regional Australia, all of Tasmania, NT, etc its time for Foxtel to step up and add FTA tuners. Its impossible for them to add all FTA channels on satalite for all states and regions.

Im a Foxtel Mystar customer so it doesnt affect me at the moment, but its a feature Im sure many ex-Austar customers are not going to want to be taken away from them when they introduce an IQ to us eventually.

So just say they did add a FTA SD & HD tuner on their box will it use the same hard drive that's used for their channels to record or would they need another hard drive for FTA recording?

cheers laurie

The Fta tuners work exactly the same on Mystar boxes as the satalite tuners. You can series link Fta the same way you do it with Foxtel, it appears in the same folder as the rest of your recordings and it's on the same hard drive.

You can't tell what is Fta recorded or pay tv recorded on Mystar, it's all integrated.

Fta hd takes up alot more space than Pay tv HD though.

• 3 weeks later...