Satellite Signal

hi not sure if i'm posting in the correct section but i'm wondering if someone can help me with this one, can i use the one dish for austar and vast tv as they are on the same satellite? i thought it would be good if i could just split the signal and send to each box but nay, it seems only one side of the spitter will work, regardless of which box is plugged in, i have tried several more splitters and i'm sure they are not all faulty, is there a way of achieving this as it would remove one dish from my roof, thanks joe

The problem is that there are two polarisations in use, a simple splitter will not work in this instance. You will need a dual output LNB, one drop goes to the Austar box, the other to the VAST box. If your Austar box is a MyStar (any type) you'll already have a dual output LNB in which case you'd use a multiswitch to get another output for the VAST box.

The next challenge would be the LNB LO frequency. I have no idea if VAST receivers let one select the LNB LO or if its fixed. If its fixed and doesn't agree with the existing Austar LNB's LO it won't work.

The problem is that there are two polarisations in use, a simple splitter will not work in this instance. You will need a dual output LNB, one drop goes to the Austar box, the other to the VAST box. If your Austar box is a MyStar (any type) you'll already have a dual output LNB in which case you'd use a multiswitch to get another output for the VAST box.

The next challenge would be the LNB LO frequency. I have no idea if VAST receivers let one select the LNB LO or if its fixed. If its fixed and doesn't agree with the existing Austar LNB's LO it won't work.

Ill just add that the OP needs to make sure he gets a 10700 Dual LNB (which is VAST default anyway), as this is what most Austar Boxes will be expecting.

Edited by nbound

thanks for the reply to all, we have just moved into the new house, from the shed after 8mths,the vast dish is on the house,the lnb i have is 10700 i was running vast with my austar box just sitting in my cupboard and the austar dish on my shed roof, had that lightbulb go of above my head and went same satellite i wonder if ? and unplugged the vast plugged in the austar and was surprised it worked, i am planning on resi lynxing my vast, austar and hdd to 4 tellies just got to sneak it in one piece at a time, you understand fellas as the missus thinks tv is not that important.

have checked it for a while but the vast box did support 11300 but whenever it did a download it would reset itself to 10700.

Also the vast box does something crazy with diseqc. Every time I've hooked up a vast box to my motek based dish, to setup for a customer, It sends my dish off to it's limits when it does a firmware download and reset.

VAST decoders can use either 11300 or 10700 LNB's, with 10700 being preferred as there is a possible move to D3 in the future.

For a standard Austar/Foxtel box which requires only one cable from the LNB plus a VAST box with one cable, then a 10700 Dual output LNB is the simplest solution (one cable to each of the two decoders).

If you have Austar Mystar or Foxtel iQ, it requires both cables from a dual LNB, so you then need an additional cable for the VAST box.

You can do this with a Quad LNB (four outputs) or a multiswitch used in conjunction with the dual LNB.

I fimd a multiswitch gives a better result compared to a quad LNB.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Day from Bandung Java Indonesia.....great to be on this forum..........for three months this year we received Foxtel and some Vast/Aurora Oz "letterboxed" channels........we are using a 1.8 meter dish (they call it a Parabola here)........but 3 weeks ago the local "server" zapped out.....one afternoon, someone managed via this "server" to unscramble all VAST channels....it was a delight to surf aroundd, but after a few hours this stopped too.

I had imported a Vast receiver with card which had been deemed active by a Queensland re-seller......yes we did the email activation....when the receiver arrived it did not work...our local installer said the card had been de-activated.

As an ex pat Oz I'd love to see either/or Vast channels or that Pay TV service......and I'd even pay the subscription. I'vefound out that more than a few Australian's bring in their Vast and/or Foxtel receivers to Bali...but then a local installer has his way with wjhat I consider very high prices......(see email below)

For the local descrambled service we have been using an "Open Box" with internet connection....and a Universal LNB...currently there are just a few fta radio channels, info TV and NITV...so there is a signal from Optus C1 here in Bandung....but I'm a little concerned about the forthcoming Optus D3 TX's.........the following email received from a Bali installer.....

Vast required more bigger antenna as the transmission will be move to

newer satellite D3. We can arrange bigger antenna and VAST decoder.

320 cm antenna and Vast decoder price IDR 42 million, price include

freight to Bandung. Price not include installation.

If you need viewing card for Win Imparja SBS ABC GWN7 it's IDR 2 million,

this is access card no monthly or any subscription.

(42 million Indonesian rupiah ....around 4 thousand 5 hundred aud)

Would appreciate comments from the forum about the above email from a Bali installer...our local Bandung installer's prices for Parabola/Dish and LNB's are fraction of the above quoted price....and would we really need such a large dish to receive Optus D3?

Why are we so keen to receive Oz TV? no HD at all on Indonesian Terrerstrial.......the so called pay TV services are poor technical quality......we do receive FTA from up to 14 satellites...thankl goodness for this.

My direct email is favenchi@yahoo.com

any forum comments will be much appreciated

regards

Favenchi

Bandung

further inquiry to nbound or anyone else on the forum.........I notice that Optus D1 has fta ABC and SBS in both SD and HD.......we can receive signals from Optus C1...NITV, test channels and some radio here in Bandung West Java Indonesia using a 1.8 metre dish.......any suggestions for Optus D1 reception?.........size of dish/parabola?...our receiver is an open box and our local installer can handle the tuning. We'd be more than happy to see ABC and SBS here.......The ABC "Australia Television" so called "service" is awful both technically (4;3) and contentwise.

Hi Guys,

For what its worth I have a customers VAST box that has just been activated and the 801 tuning channel identifies as D3. They have been doing that on the last recent ones I have installed. Don't know how long that has been the case ,its been a while since

the last lot.

Cheers Tazzy

thanks to The Baja...a relief to know that Optus D1 could remain the same for a while yet........our satellite installer is due back from Holidays Saturday....and our installer's name.....is "Mr Satia" yes this is his real name........he is quite amazing as he can find satellites on our roof without the proper equipment...he goes up with a receiver, a small monitor and seems to know where to point the dish / parabola.....

Hi Guys,

For what its worth I have a customers VAST box that has just been activated and the 801 tuning channel identifies as D3. They have been doing that on the last recent ones I have installed. Don't know how long that has been the case ,its been a while since

the last lot.

Cheers Tazzy

D3 Tuning Channel has been operating for several months.

Hi Guys,

the last lot.

Cheers Tazzy

I beleive it has always identified as "D3 Tuning Channel" or something to that effect. :)

thanks to The Baja...a relief to know that Optus D1 could remain the same for a while yet........our satellite installer is due back from Holidays Saturday....and our installer's name.....is "Mr Satia" yes this is his real name........he is quite amazing as he can find satellites on our roof without the proper equipment...he goes up with a receiver, a small monitor and seems to know where to point the dish / parabola.....

Yes, because a satellite decoder has a signal scale, it's possible to use just that if you know approx where to point the dish.

Lots of DIY setups are done that way.

It's not as accurate as professional signal measuring equipment and it's not as fast, but it can suffice.

The ABC/SBS signals on D1 are used for feeding terrestrial transmitters, mostly in remote areas.

They were never intended for direct to home reception.

These will likely be made redundant at some stage and those transmission sites will take signals from VAST.

Commercial channels were also unencrypted on D1 for a long time, until people started talking about them on forums such as this and the broadcasters encrypted them.

Col;

this is a much appreciated summation.......with our current receiving equipment it is probably all we can get at the moment...that is if the local installers can "find " Optus D1...to get our 1.8 metre fixed parabola working for Optus C1, three installers were on the roof all day...and this is the tropics! A direct feed of ABC and SBS will be good to have....until something else better comes along. who knows we might have a Vast possibility yet!?