Sign in to follow this  
Highjinx

Darbee Darblet

Sorry,its just easier to write and remember deadnob(rolls off the tongue).My sincerest apologies if u were offended.

For those who need a scene in which to really appreciate what the darbee does.

The opening scene in Prometheus.When the blue dude is standing next to the running water.

The water just springs to life when darbee is switched on.Amazing difference,after watching even the missus said it was worth what was

paid.Which is extremely rare.

Dont pause it,just switch it on and off as its playing.

Because u have always said urself...even in previous post. You cannot tell a pjs quality through photos....remember when i complimented bbars x75 photos?...u pretty much said it then ;).

And I stand by what I said. Any camera will impart its own colour balance and gamma to a photograph, plus exposure settings will drastically affect black level and overall contrast. That is why it is not possible to judge a projectors "quality" or overall performance from a photo, the camera totally dominates the result.

However, to evaluate what the Darbee does all we need to be able to capture are relative changes in sharpness (MTF) and gamma as the Darbee's settings are adjusted which a camera will do no trouble at all.

Edited by Owen

Regarding the darbee, like Owen I use a HTPC and have had the opportunity to try Owen's method, which while providing a very high quality approach to sharpening (at the expense of a lot CPU/GPU power), the darbee provides a more pleasing picture by not just sharpening the picture but by also enhancing the contrast which gives an effect similar to adjusting the focus for a clearer picture. While not making a massive change, it is enough to make a noticeable difference, at least with my setup (HTPC, JVC projector & large 3.1m screen). YMMV.

Apart from sharpening the Darbee is manipulating gamma to provide greater apparent in scene contrast. While this does give the image more pop and an enhanced 3D look it is just a snake oil trick. It can be done just as well via a custom gamma curve setup in your projector or PC and requires almost zero processing power.

Sharpening and gamma need to be adjusted independently for best results.

Edited by Owen

Apart from sharpening the Darbee is manipulating gamma to provide greater apparent in scene contrast. While this does give the image more pop and an enhanced 3D look it is just a snake oil trick. It can be done just as well via a custom gamma curve setup in your projector or PC and requires almost zero processing power.

Sharpening and gamma need to be adjusted independently for best results.

Surely if ones own eyes are pleased with what they are seeing then it wouldn't matter how it was arrived at as long as it works?

I would have thought that if it helps give it more pop and enhanced 3d look then that would be good, how could that be snake oil then?

I've been reading these projector and HDTV threads so much because I am getting close to buying something, your name comes up a lot saying things are crap that others think are good. Guess I should just be aware that as long as I reckon it looks good to me it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Thanks. :)

Surely if ones own eyes are pleased with what they are seeing then it wouldn't matter how it was arrived at as long as it works?

I would have thought that if it helps give it more pop and enhanced 3d look then that would be good, how could that be snake oil then?

I've been reading these projector and HDTV threads so much because I am getting close to buying something, your name comes up a lot saying things are crap that others think are good. Guess I should just be aware that as long as I reckon it looks good to me it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Thanks. :)

He thinks his own sharpening system is the be all end all!.........Just cant get through to him.....almost brick wall type lol.

Owen,

I'm a long time HTPC user and like you initially thought the darbee effect can be emulated via custom filters, FFDShow etc. but I have not been able to find anything that comes close to the darbee in terms of the extra pop it produces. It uses some form of dynamic gamma that is selectively applied in the foreground and contrast enhancement on top of the sharpening.

It may be snake oil but the resultant picture just looks better which is what counts.

I'd prefer not to have an extra box but until there is something available using a PC filter or software video processor that can do the same thing, my darbee is staying. Apparently Adobe photoshop has filters that can do similar things, and I'm wondering why the FFDshow (with AVIsynth) crowd have not tried to emulate it given the popularity of the darbee but I guess with the amount of processing needed it would take a pretty big CPU. Darbee have PC code for the algorithm that can be implemented through the GPU but it doesn't seem to be available for DIY implementations.

Please go back through this thread and show me where I have said the Darbee is crap, or even close to that. Didn't I say I would buy one if I had a use for it?

Apparently pointing out what tricks it is using is somehow unacceptable here, I would have though people would be interested as they can apply a custom gamma curve themselves using their projectors inbuilt 10 point gamma adjustment to get more "pop" without spending a cent and I suggest they do so.

For those who just want to plug in a box and have no real interest in what its doing the Darbee is a great option, although those who want to calibrate to a specific gamma curve like 2.2 should be made aware that the Darbee will affect gamma when in use.

He thinks his own sharpening system is the be all end all!.........Just cant get through to him.....almost brick wall type lol.

I never once said any such thing, the two systems are quite different. Mine is straight MTF enhancement with no gamma alterations.

Owen,

I'm a long time HTPC user and like you initially thought the darbee effect can be emulated via custom filters, FFDShow etc. but I have not been able to find anything that comes close to the darbee in terms of the extra pop it produces. It uses some form of dynamic gamma that is selectively applied in the foreground and contrast enhancement on top of the sharpening.

It may be snake oil but the resultant picture just looks better which is what counts.

I'd prefer not to have an extra box but until there is something available using a PC filter or software video processor that can do the same thing, my darbee is staying. Apparently Adobe photoshop has filters that can do similar things, and I'm wondering why the FFDshow (with AVIsynth) crowd have not tried to emulate it given the popularity of the darbee but I guess with the amount of processing needed it would take a pretty big CPU. Darbee have PC code for the algorithm that can be implemented through the GPU but it doesn't seem to be available for DIY implementations.

Unless you customize your gamma curve you wont get the same sort of look as the Darbee because the Darbee is altering gamma. Did you try altering gamma to look like the Darbee?

Photoshops and Premiere's sharpen filters are not pretty and unsharp mask is a edge enhancer and bloody ugly IMHO. Its about time Adobe lifted their act as their video sharpening tools suck.

You cant put much processing power in a little plastic box with no heat sink. If you could CPU's and GPU's wouldn't need fan forced heat sinks to stop them overheating.

Edited by Owen

Owen, its not just about adjusting gamma - Darbee is applying some form of dynamic gamma selectively to the picture and you can't do that on a PC AFAIK. It will need a special filter that does a similar thing. The darbee uses a FPGA which is a hardware implementation of the darbee software algorithm which is a lot more efficient that a CPU/GPU, and has sufficient processing power without the need for a heatsink.

the thing with this stuff is technology and capabilities moves on at a frightening pace, theres no point locking yourself in a paradigm of old. otherwise thats where always remain. talking, thinking, reading about it is one thing. but jumping in and experiencing is a whole another thing. thats when really get to appreciate and understand somethings capabilities. And the thing is cheap enough you could just buy and pass on if doesnt quite meet requirements/expectations. which is just what some have done while others are really quite taken with what can deliver which is really pretty typical and to be expected :)

I' m interested the Darby also and meanwhile I've been tinkering with the Oppo 103's sharpening using its QDEO tech on HDMI 1. This is definitely not 'just' sharpening as it looks like it's effecting contrast/gamma also. I wonder if this chip is doing something similar to the darby? My Kuro ISF calibration was for sharpness at -15 and with the Oppo sharpening on +1 the extra detail is amazing.

Only thing I've been worried about is introducing anomalies like flicker/banding etc.

Very keen to check out the darby for comparison.

Just a quick note to say that after the GB demo and my purchase back then I've had absolutely no issues with it in service 8-10 hours a day every day. Just forget its in the system, 63" Samsung Plasma was fixed free of charge by Samsung within two weeks so all good.

Ok guys,

RGB color space issue is fixed with a firmware update as I read posts on AVS confirming this. You also shouldnt have a problem using your AVR as a switcher...as Ive seen various people on AVS running this combo with different AVRS and processors without any trouble...maybe a few odd cases but Im guessing it could be due to a faulty unit they received or some other issue.......but majority have worked absolutely fine.

I have also contacted Darbee's Vision further confirming my findings!...just waiting to hear back from them.

Cheers,

Kevin

good stuff bud, adds to the confidence factor :)

Just received my new Darbee! Ordered a day or two before the GB was announced, oh well. Smooth transaction from Smarthome and quick shipping. Looking forward to installing tonight, I'll report back on my thoughts.

Cheers

Corza

Just received my new Darbee! Ordered a day or two before the GB was announced, oh well. Smooth transaction from Smarthome and quick shipping. Looking forward to installing tonight, I'll report back on my thoughts.

Cheers

Corza

Nice. Do let us know your thoughts please mate. I value your opinion.

Blade

Ok, so may have made a bit of aistake re the power cable. Plugged it in to the round what I thought was 5v cable I use for a WD hard drive. The Darbee gave a couple of little blue light flashes and that was that. No power, no picture when I plugged the HDMI in. Jeez I'm stupid sometes, I think I've blown the thing. Not sure why the cable I use for the small hard rive wouldn't be ok?

I'm so pissed off right now...

Ok, so may have made a bit of aistake re the power cable. Plugged it in to the round what I thought was 5v cable I use for a WD hard drive. The Darbee gave a couple of little blue light flashes and that was that. No power, no picture when I plugged the HDMI in. Jeez I'm stupid sometes, I think I've blown the thing. Not sure why the cable I use for the small hard rive wouldn't be ok?

I did someone similar. Plugged my Darbee into all my gear whilst it was all in STANDBY. There was enough power going through the HDMI cables to fry the unit, and I got nothing. It was replaced under warranty, and Fed-ex'd to and from the US at their expense. This time I plugged everything in with everything switched off at the mains, and I had no problems.

Start a warranty claim now!

Ahh that sucks! :(....was looking forward to your impressions!. Ahh wells, things like that happen to the best of us!

I'm sorry to hear that mate, but i did have a little chuckle at your expense :P Why didn't you just buy a us/au converter plug or just bend the pins with pilers like many others have done.

WD drives run on 12 volt power packs ...

Ah. I'd say you have some problems then, Corza!