• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darbee prices are down. They are releasing a new premium model, the DVP5100CIE ("Custom Installer Edition") which is a rack mountable component with some other upgrades but I think the core Darbee processing remains the same. As a result, the regular Darblet is now $US199.

http://www.darbeevision.com/products/

There's also the Cobalt, which is cheaper again. I don't know how it differs from the Darblet.

TCC's Darblet price is unchanged for now.

I have them for $319 delivered from Australia :D and $288 with any screen and or PJ purchase.

Damn, wish I'd known that when I bought my screen and projector from you, wouldn't have gone the darbee version oppo :-)

Does anyone know if the power supply unit can be replaced with just your normal local one? with the same 5v and 1a specs?

Reason i ask, i broke the original one and bought a dick smith universal type with the same voltage specs.

Connected it all up, but when playing 3D movies, the screen keeps dropping out every say 10 seconds to a black screen, then comes back on!

Did not do this previously.

Everything runs ok without it in the chain.

I had it connected just before the projector.

cheers

Does anyone know if the power supply unit can be replaced with just your normal local one? with the same 5v and 1a specs?

Reason i ask, i broke the original one and bought a dick smith universal type with the same voltage specs.

Connected it all up, but when playing 3D movies, the screen keeps dropping out every say 10 seconds to a black screen, then comes back on!

Did not do this previously.

Everything runs ok without it in the chain.

I had it connected just before the projector.

cheers

It should be fine ... Perhaps 1.5+ amp would work better, but suspect the dropouts are unrelated ...

• 2 years later...

I replaced the power supply on my Darblet about 3 months ago and the Upgrade thread made me wonder if those who bought one are still using it?

Did anyone end up buy the more expensive Darby Video Processing unit?  It seems to have also gone by the wayside.

Just now, yorac said:

Good as they were, always felt they were a false positive, so steered clear, but as always each to their own..........

Hmmm, still not sure ... if you use no other enhancement built into the Pre, display, or player, they look good .... but double up and the effect is less than impressive.

The secret of any sharpening system is not to use too much. The Darbee is more advanced then anything built into a current projector, including Sony's and it doesn't amplify noise as projector sharpening does.

The sharpening is different to what projectors implement and the two systems can work effectively together IF intelligently adjusted.

Attempting to get a very obvious increase in sharpness with any system is going to lead to an ugly picture, less is more.

I sold my Darbee with my 1080 JVC projector because it worked well with it. I now upscale 1080 to 4K and sharpen on a PC via FFDshow and output at 4K, find that obviously superior to the Darbee in 1080 or any other system I have used, its MUCH better than letting the JCV projector upscale.

Edited by Owen

I still use the Darbee on my Benq W1400 - on a low setting..  I always thought there was a decent improvement there.  Not for my 4K 75" TV though, obviously, since it wouldn't do any good except to downgrade output to 1080p.  And though I'm still disappointed with the Samsung 4K blu-ray player's <1080 media upscaling - I think the 1080 blu-ray upscaling to 4K is ok - not worth bothering with a PC.