• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a JVC and the Darbee and I think it does a better job than the e-shift enhancements on the JVC. You need to be careful with the settings as its easy to overcook the picture. (HD setting between 30 and 50 depending on source is ideal). I got mine from AVS all shipped for $290 but I believe the price has gone up since. I do have a small problem where if I play with the settings too much it drops the configuration and goes back to factory settings, but that isn't a huge issue as it has only done it twice now after 3 months of use.

I have a JVC and the Darbee and I think it does a better job than the e-shift enhancements on the JVC. You need to be careful with the settings as its easy to overcook the picture. (HD setting between 30 and 50 depending on source is ideal). I got mine from AVS all shipped for $290 but I believe the price has gone up since. I do have a small problem where if I play with the settings too much it drops the configuration and goes back to factory settings, but that isn't a huge issue as it has only done it twice now after 3 months of use.

Cheers for that mate!,

Yeah Ive heard settings from 40 and below work very well with the JVCs and Darbee combo as they are a pretty sharp PJ as it is. Zombie10k likes the combo too!. I plan on keeping the PJ for a while, so why not spoil myself...because I wont be gettin 4k for at least another 4 years lol...as prices are pretty damn high at the moment and I never bother with the first iteration of new tech...as I usually wait for them to iron out the bugs...so I will be with 1080p for quite a while. Eshift and Darbee both compliment each other pretty well Ive heard too!.

X series JVC's are very sharp, its the source that could do with some help, especially with a large viewing angle.

Owen would increasing the sharpness on the oppo be any benefit?

I dont like overdone sharpness but subtle changes can be quite nice!....I like the Darbee for what it does bring out detail that is already there but not making it look to artifical....at low settings of course. High settings on the darbee can bring some nastiness Ive seen.

Edited by buddhamus

Not sure I should reply as I don't know who 'deadnob' is :-)

To be honest I can't find a decent setting for sharpness & detail enhance on the JVC (I use the film setting as the other settings seem too artificial).

It is in the MPC settings (under advanced on the first page) and only appropriate to the X55/X75/X95 projectors with e-shift (although there may be a sharpness control on the X35 it won't be e-shift). Maybe I'm spoilt with the Darbee but I don't think the JVC settings make as much of a difference as the darbee does. Possibly because I can't tell the difference when adjusting the sliders on the settings with the JVC and turning MPC on/off blanks the screen for a second so its hard to do a before/after comparison to see the difference, where on the darbee its easy to tell by turning it on & off and adjusting the settings.

Owen would increasing the sharpness on the oppo be any benefit?

I dont like overdone sharpness but subtle changes can be quite nice!....I like the Darbee for what it does bring out detail that is already there but not making it look to artifical....at low settings of course. High settings on the darbee can bring some nastiness Ive seen.

Increasing the "sharpness" setting on the Oppo is the same and adjusting the conventional sharpness setting on the JVC or any projector for that matter, its quite different to what the Darbee and JVC's MPC processing does.

No matter what sharpening system is used, too much is going to look nasty. The system used does however make a big difference to the results obtainable and the conventional sharpness control provided with projectors and TV's is very basic and of limited usefulness.

I use my own PC based sharpening system that I came up with about 8 years ago and still prefer, so I have no use for a Darbee.

When the Darbee was first released I considered buying one to test it but as more photos where posted on line it became clear to me what it was doing and I lost interest as its similar in effect to my system.

Wouldn't it be impossible for him to draw that conclusion without seeing one in operation?

Otherwise it's all, and only, theory ...

It would also mean the Darbee has no claim to a patentable process ... Which they claim they do don't they?

LOL!!!, his stuff is always the best isn't it?...lol.

Me personally, I do like what the Darbee does...which is why I shall be buying one soon! :). You got one Chops?

Been reading more about the Darbee, I still remember the first time I saw it on the GB.........they had it running on a W6000 DLP PJ. I wasnt that wowed by it...but it had a slight increase and in detail...as you can see in the pics, previously.

I think with a DLP you wouldnt notice a big difference since it is already sharp as nails!. LCD and LCOS panels will most likely benefit the most out of it a few people feel the same on AVS....it will work brilliantly on LCD and LCOS panels...but DLP the performance will be a minimal increase.

Crist loves his one on his Epson 9000!.

It works with my A300 just fine (and my Denon 2012 blu-ray player). It makes a big difference to the picture, which is very noticeable when paused... I don't notice the difference as much during regular playback, but it's very obvious when the picture has been paused. I have a 50" last gen Kuro as a display though, rather than a projector.

I have not denigrated the Darbee at all here, I have simply said I am not interested in purchasing one as I use my own system, not because I think the Darbee is no good. If I through for one moment I would be better served by a Darbee I would buy one without hesitation, the price is insignificant. If I was using conventional stand alone components and not a PC I would definitely buy one as what it does is better than conventional sharpening.

I find it interesting that the Darbee you had is now in the hands of its third owner, seems that a patented product is not always best.

I didn;t say you had denigrated it, simply your opinion of it should be treated with caution by others as you have never used, nor seen one and are an armchair expert on them.

So you disagree with my assessment of the Darbee and consider it not worthwhile?

What makes you think I cant see what the Darbee is doing from photos?

Why are people so unkind (to my alias... :-))

Regarding the darbee, like Owen I use a HTPC and have had the opportunity to try Owen's method, which while providing a very high quality approach to sharpening (at the expense of a lot CPU/GPU power), the darbee provides a more pleasing picture by not just sharpening the picture but by also enhancing the contrast which gives an effect similar to adjusting the focus for a clearer picture. While not making a massive change, it is enough to make a noticeable difference, at least with my setup (HTPC, JVC projector & large 3.1m screen). YMMV.