Before jumping in, you really need to view it in action.

On a moving picture, from what was seen at the GTG, the improvement was 'marginal' at best.

On still images, sure, the improvement was substantial, but it just wasn't noticeable when watching a scene, especially when viewing a BD and using a half decent projector.

I didn't see the value in the product from that POV, so I'd reccomend testing one out, if possible, in line with your own gear.

Cheers,

Chris

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gunna pull the trigger on one Al?

I guess for the money there will always be someone on the forum willing to take it off my hands if I decide it;s not for me.

I'll hold off myself chops, spent up a bit on camera upgrade and few other goodies this year that drained the kitty significantly, saving the penies for now probably wont be till next year till things recharge.

I dare say your right if something bought be easy enough to pass on if want but a damn pity darby hasnt taken up offer of a sort of pass around of the unit here via the forum. people could then try for themselves to decide and probably lot more sure if something for them or not :)

Interesting. Posts on avsforum are pretty positive, especially from users with large projection screens. It's definitely better to view it before purchasing but the price isn't too high and I could sell it locally if it doesn't meet expectations. I'll talk to Matt at TCC in the morning.

Before jumping in, you really need to view it in action.

On a moving picture, from what was seen at the GTG, the improvement was 'marginal' at best.

On still images, sure, the improvement was substantial, but it just wasn't noticeable when watching a scene, especially when viewing a BD and using a half decent projector.

I didn't see the value in the product from that POV, so I'd reccomend testing one out, if possible, in line with your own gear.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm inclined to try one even though I am 90% certain I can be a better job with the 6k upscaling and progressing I use for Bluray.

I cant use that for Austar so I'm interested and would be happy to give Matt my business.

Owen, isn't your processing upscaling, sharpening & downscaling, so its not the same as the Darblet? it would be perfect for HTPC owners having the Darbee algorithm available as part of the video driver or even as a video filter, although it seems DarbeeVision is setup to sell its IP to OEMs like TV manufacturers or even NVidia, there is no news on this front. I'm wondering using ffdshow/avisynth it should be possible to knock up a script that does something basically similar (although unlikely to be as good due to all the R&D invested by DarbeeVision). I had a quick look on Doom9 and no one seems to be looking into this. The algorithm is described in the whitepaper (defocus & subtract on objects in the foreground) so it may be possible to write a script, but is bound to be computationally expensive compared to the dedicated Darblet hardware but if you have a powerful HTPC it could be worth the experiment.

What I am doing is sharpening as part of the upscaling, thats very different to normal sharpening systems. Its enhances MTF without the normal side effects of traditional sharpening.

You are making a lot of assumptions about the Darblet, I'll believe it can outperform what I am doing on a PC when I see it and I'm happy to give one a go on that basis.

The hardware in the Darblet is not exactly powerful and I'm not at all convinced what its doing is anything special.

Thanks for the offer mate but I have been to Melbourne twice in the last half century and don’t expect to be in the area any time soon, its easier to just buy one and test it my self. If I don’t find it useful for Bluray and the projector it could be useful with Foxtel/Austar and one of the the TV's.

Finally got confirmation mine has shipped from Smarthouse. Ordered about a month ago so assuming mine will be the update version due to the wait

I ordered one from Smarthouse just a bit under a month ago aswell 7th of July to be exact, haven't got the confirmation yet but it's good to know they finally got the damn things, I just hope I didn't miss out.

Edited by gllp

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived today so off to buy another HDMI cable and try it out. Would you put it between the IQ2 and the Denon or Denon & Plasma as I'm mainly interested in pumping SD from Foxtel. Also does anyone know if it handles two way communication via HDMI for when one watches TV and sends the signal back down the HDMI to get the improved sound output?

This is a hard one as would like it available for TV and PJ. Can always get a HDMI switch later I guess.

Would try between Denon and TV and see if it allows audio pass back as that would allow you to use for more than just foxtel should you choose. I like choice!

How do you like it so far?

Well to be honest I've put it between the TV and the Denon because it was easiest to get to, then I tuned it up to about 70% "pop", changed the menu setting to hide the on screen Darbee info watermark and just left it running as there isn't much one can do with it after your happy with its results and I'm very Happy with it, Not sure you can tell its performing on fast moving scenes on the plasma, your eyes simply cannot process the images details that fast but when the action slows down or is near stationary its clearly improved and that's what I wanted, It works 100% of the time whether the image is SD or HDTV or whatever. I think for those with bigger TV panels or using PJ's a lot will get the most from this device for sure, after all we're all chasing better imagery aren't we? I used a CHORD HDMI active connection cable, these top rated high spec cables are on a 50% discount atm from Audio Trends in Ringwood.

Anyone wanting to come over and check it out is most welcome.............. :)

Well to be honest I've put it between the TV and the Denon because it was easiest to get to, then I tuned it up to about 70% "pop", changed the menu setting to hide the on screen Darbee info watermark and just left it running as there isn't much one can do with it after your happy with its results and I'm very Happy with it, Not sure you can tell its performing on fast moving scenes on the plasma, your eyes simply cannot process the images details that fast but when the action slows down or is near stationary its clearly improved and that's what I wanted, It works 100% of the time whether the image is SD or HDTV or whatever. I think for those with bigger TV panels or using PJ's a lot will get the most from this device for sure, after all we're all chasing better imagery aren't we? I used a CHORD HDMI active connection cable, these top rated high spec cables are on a 50% discount atm from Audio Trends in Ringwood.

Anyone wanting to come over and check it out is most welcome.............. :)

Sounds....ermmmm, looks good!

Agree will get even more from it.

CHORD HDMI active connection cable, these top rated high spec cables are on a 50% discount atm from Audio Trends in Ringwood.
The unique high frequency filter can make dramatic improvements to both picture and sound quality. During tests the new cable design and revised filter brought dramatic improvements to picture quality when used with set top boxes. The filter doesn't just bring improvements to picture quality. When used to connect a DVD or Blu-ray player to a surround amplifier the improvements to sound quality are striking
I love reading HDMI cable blurbs :). Usually they don't mention relative performance and just stick to completely truthful statements about the specific cable's ability to do its job 100%, letting others infer that other cables don't also. These guys use a similar trick as some of the big chains, studiously avoiding mentioning what they're comparing and again letting other infer that they must be talking about HDMI cables... :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

anychance you could have a look at it whilst setting your display to 720p? This is primarily what I want it for, improving FTA and Foxtel to my 720p projector.

So Blybo your asking me to feed 720p into the Darbee is that right? then see how much its improved or otherwise? isn't most of the SD from Foxtel that quality? if yes then its better "popped" for sure with the Darbee