Will keep my fingers crossed as would be great to catch up.

Can do a Sorento run if that helps!

Thanks for the offer bbar, I think the Darblet will be couriered up to Melbourne..

After the Gtg I am happy to meet up with you at Sorento with Darblet in hand so you can try it out on your setup for A few days if you want mate?

Try Before you Buy one type thing :lol: ..

Jase.....

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the offer bbar, I think the Darblet will be couriered up to Melbourne..

After the Gtg I am happy to meet up with you at Sorento with Darblet in hand so you can try it out on your setup for A few days if you want mate?

Try Before you Buy one type thing :lol: ..

Jase.....

Cool, but I think I am sold already.. :lol:

Will arrange a meet once I am all up and running as would be good to catch up and show off my new pride-and-joy. :phone:

thanks cinema mad, also thanks to bbar for ferrying it across for you. And yorac for allowing us the gtg and equipment setup to experience the device.

we had a good look at the device feeding a couple of pjs a benq 6000 and epson 9000. source was oppo.

below some comparison pics. please note taken with canon 5D3 DSLR, lens 24-105L just hand held and best I could without tripod. Same exposure used between comparison shots and I have not re adjusted for colour balance/ white balance etc. its just out of camera and keep in mind heavily reduced in size for uploading here. hopefully the differences still appreciable.

Note there appeared to be two modes we used, POP and HD mode. also the effect of the darbee was adjusted between say 0% - no benefit to say 50% or 100% effect. Please note with the benq shots there is a slight discolouration between shots, note I think this is from the DLP colour wheel, so please disregard these. And this discolouration was not present with what we saw with our eyes and not present when we did our comparisons with the epson LCD pj.

benq6000 One 0% HD vs 50% HD

post-2123-0-64304200-1342256823_thumb.jp post-2123-0-50820400-1342256813_thumb.jp

benq6000 One 0% POP vs 95% POP

post-2123-0-60982300-1342256818_thumb.jp post-2123-0-92249000-1342256807_thumb.jp

benq6000 Two 0% HD vs 50% HD

post-2123-0-38883300-1342256896_thumb.jp post-2123-0-07020300-1342256892_thumb.jp

epson 9000 Three 0% POP vs 65% POP

post-2123-0-76673700-1342256906_thumb.jp post-2123-0-55591600-1342256901_thumb.jp

epson 9000 Four 0% HD vs 50% HD

post-2123-0-04956200-1342256934_thumb.jp post-2123-0-24411400-1342256927_thumb.jp

epson 9000 Five 0% HD vs 50% HD

post-2123-0-31140000-1342256945_thumb.jp post-2123-0-48277800-1342256939_thumb.jp

epson 9000 Six 0% HD vs 105% HD

post-2123-0-06940200-1342256922_thumb.jp post-2123-0-74878100-1342256912_thumb.jp

as a note to me differences were apparent both with my own eyes and looking back at shots taken even on the little lcd on the camera back. Unfortunately a lot less apparent when loading up here. Another point to note with regular playback and just viewing the movie with effects of the darbee enabled and disabled on the fly the visible effect was lot less apparent. I'll let others whom were present at the gtg comment back on their impressions. :)

After seeing it I can say I am a fan.

Agree with the write-ups that setting the values high can make the picture look a bit unnatural. However setting it between 40 and 60 was the sweet spot for me. I found there was an improvement in PQ though it was hard/near impossible to pick unless one did it in pause mode at the lower setting.

Edited by bbar

While I could see definitie improvement in the image on a still image, I didn't see any quantifiable improvement when watching a moving image.

Even when we were analysing the still images, and pointing out the areas of improvement, you can't use that when watching a movie.

So, for me, while I completely agree that it makes improvement, (and in some cases significant), that improvement is lost when watching a movie, and from that point, I don't see it's value and wouldn't buy one.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers,

Chris
Edited by Prior

Hmmm, now wishing I could have made it to see this .... Then again, there is no harm in waiting for more opinions.

Been told that the goal is to have consumer electronics ( PJ's, TV's....etc) companies buy the technology and incorporate into their offerings much like Audyssey did.

Just may be commonplace in a few years or a value-add in a few consumer products.

I think many are like Chris, great product as it definitely improved PQ; however probably not a 'must have' piece of kit.

I think the consensus was that it did a couple things that were immediately noticeable -Increased sharpness; and improved shadow detail

On a very sharp DLP PJ the sharpness is less evident to say, an LCD or LCOS display which typically has less pop.

So if one wants to increase pop/detail of an LCD display/PJ to be more DLP like then it will do that.

I will probably sit on the fence for a while as need to get HT setup back online first; but it may just be under the tree for Christmas... :phone:

Edited by bbar

Still not sure if putting the Darby dollars toward an auto caliberation solution (via a VP unit) would be wiser?

Get both ! , then no need to ponder

I see a calibration system as being a higher priority. A VP with CMS (Lumagen/DVDO) plus Colorimeter and corresponding software sits well above the Darby in my opinion.

Edited by bbar

bbar, I couldn't agree more ,

Display Calibration should be looked opon as the foundation.

thanks Al :), Nice DSLR Camera.. What Settings did you prefer with the Darblet? between 30-50 for me...

For those that arn't aware All Darblets that leave the Factory From now will have the Firmware fix applied according to AVS,

IMO the Colorspace bug in the current Darblets is a fairly big limitation but only with certain Video chains (Native YcBcR)....

After I made the 4 hour round trip Down the road across the waves & back I was down till monday night,

thanks to my Doc I came good late monday night just intime to throw on Killer elite on Blu :D ..

Awesome Movie IMO..

thanks Bbar, for demoing this device yesterday, well done, & confirmation of my decision to buy it.

It is definitely a worthwhile piece of kit and very reasonably priced.

Cheers mate, yet to discuss with Matt mate, but will do so later today or tomorrow and advise...........

Thanks mate, no rush, just wanted to know the state of the nation.

Form all reports here (And the Widescreen Review I read) it offers between "some" and "Significant" improvement. Combined with proper video calibration I think, for the money, it's a worthwhile investment.

Cheers

Blade

any suggestion that this could by more beneficial to someone running an older 720p projector and unable to get ministerial approval for a new 1080p model. Could I use this as a worthwhile stop gap to improve things until the Z5 finally kicks the bucket?

any suggestion that this could by more beneficial to someone running an older 720p projector and unable to get ministerial approval for a new 1080p model. Could I use this as a worthwhile stop gap to improve things until the Z5 finally kicks the bucket?

Since its a lcd model blybo I think the extra sharpness [ considering lcd fill factors] will be worth the small investment :thumbsup: If it can be configured to help a bitrate starved fta signal [or US satellite hd ].... Jeff Meier [accucal] had these thoughts /

This product does not function like the current detail enhancement circuits or sharpness controls. It appears to alter the local gamma with a variable bandpass logic. It is effective at restoring image sharpness lost from excessive electronic filtering or less than perfect optical systems without the characteristic edge enhancement from older methods. It is also capable of further enhancing the object contrast when the level is action is increased.

I will be purchasing this for my projection system, but not my Pioneer Elite plasma.

maybe when get more common place can borrow one from an owner see if worth it to you. but if money is scarce. rather than the darblet I'd stick the cash in the piggy bank saving for the pj upgrade instead :)

work on convincing the wife on the PJ upgrade ! quality current model 1080p pjs are a lot more within reach from $2k upwards brand new !

reason I say is while the darblet gives some incremental improvement its not going to give anything near the kind of improvement possible going from a 720p pj from some years ago to a current model 1080p pj. And its not just the 1080p resolution to get the best off blu-ray but pjs themselves have come a fair way :)

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1342522391' post='1819484]

maybe when get more common place can borrow one from an owner see if worth it to you. but if money is scarce. rather than the darblet I'd stick the cash in the piggy bank saving for the pj upgrade instead :)

work on convincing the wife on the PJ upgrade ! quality current model 1080p pjs are a lot more within reach from $2k upwards brand new !

reason I say is while the darblet gives some incremental improvement its not going to give anything near the kind of improvement possible going from a 720p pj from some years ago to a current model 1080p pj. And its not just the 1080p resolution to get the best off blu-ray but pjs themselves have come a fair way :)

I understand all this but it's not a lack of funds keeping SWMBO from allowing an upgrade... She is just flatly against replacing something that still works. And I must say now having a dedicated room our Z5 has never looked better. But I know there is so much more sharpness available from a 1080 display. Once the Z5 dies we will hopefully stretch to something around the X70 level.

My theory on this darblet is it will still be of benefit on whatever projector we eventually replace ours with.

I understand all this but it's not a lack of funds keeping SWMBO from allowing an upgrade... She is just flatly against replacing something that still works. And I must say now having a dedicated room our Z5 has never looked better. But I know there is so much more sharpness available from a 1080 display. Once the Z5 dies we will hopefully stretch to something around the X70 level.

My theory on this darblet is it will still be of benefit on whatever projector we eventually replace ours with.

well thats easily fixed ! you did mention something about a bucket :zorro: just make sure its filled with water before the pj finds its way into it ! :D

Agree with others that going with a 1080p pj would be better; but I suspect you would get good value from the Darblet. One of the reviewers, one noted in this thread, said they got great value from the darblet when used with a cable box, (ala Foxtel type arrangement) so you may find if provides same with a 720p pj.

We did not try downscaling a blu-ray to 720p at the GTG so cannot say for sure what it would look like.

As Al mentioned, maybe Cinema Mad or Agless, when his arrives, can test at 720p and let you know how it performs.

Edited by bbar

The Darby is boosting the MTF (contrast) of spatial frequencies well below 1080 lines per picture height and should therefor offer significant advantages to 720p projector owners.

Look at the screen shots posted earlier, they have very low resolution yet the effect of the Darby can be clearly seen.

Edited by Owen

Thats the crux of the matter blybo - as has been mentioned @ avs one bloke had one hooked up to a $$ sim2 3 chipper and wont go back . As Bryan says its not just for bd's ; not to mention the new firmware ones wont be altering the colourspace at all so any y cb cr calibration thats done wont need a rgb output set :yes:

Another thought ; get a wireworld hdmi 1.4 chroma 6 cable ; and you will see a sleeve on the end saying ''this end of the cable must be next to the tv'' . Its for the ethernet but if you go 3d you can use bandwidth and ethernet excuses for 1080p goodness :sweat: never mind if the new projector needs ethernet just say its so the dealer can diagnose faults over the web .. :fear:

I have a Sanyo Z2, a Sanyo Z4 and now a Epson TW5500.

I waited for the Z2 to die.....never did, I upgraded to the Sanyo Z4 and waited for it to die......it never did. I finally gave up and bought the Epson TW5500, a dream machine for the price I paid. I think Matt has an ex-demo model available at ......

http://www.thecableconnection.com.au/

The Sanyo's are so persistently reliable that you'll go through lamp after lamp before it is even likely to surrender to wear and tear years from now.

C.M

I have a Sanyo Z2, a Sanyo Z4 and now a Epson TW5500.

I waited for the Z2 to die.....never did, I upgraded to the Sanyo Z4 and waited for it to die......it never did. I finally gave up and bought the Epson TW5500, a dream machine for the price I paid. I think Matt has an ex-demo model available at ......

http://www.thecableconnection.com.au/

The Sanyo's are so persistently reliable that you'll go through lamp after lamp before it is even likely to surrender to wear and tear years from now.

C.M

Hmmm, maybe I'll slow roast it as Quark suggested :ninja: as I have a power switch (which is currently taped into the on position) next to the light switches because my outlet is hidden in the ceiling... Maybe not... I'll wait till the minister for finances gets her tax return though, they are usually in the 5 figure bracket :hug:. Memory lens shift is a necessity for us so I'm pretty much limited the JVC's at this stage, as I'll also need to mount higher than the top of my screen which would disable the Pana lens shift .

Edited by blybo

Cheers mate, yet to discuss with Matt mate, but will do so later today or tomorrow and advise...........

Hi Yorac - do you think a GB is a goer - I am keen to get a unit now that they seem to have fixed the RGB output issue.

Edited by lucmor444

Normally I shun external "magic" boxes for home theatre however this device looks very interesting given the reviews especially for projector owners using a large screen. An Aussie GB would be great if it can be organised.