Sign in to follow this  
wayfastwhitie

Issues With Hd Audio Setup

I have just purchased my first HD audio HT amp (Onkyo txnr509), I have just put a bluray on (transformers) it says the audio is Dolby Digital True HD. I wanted to hear the fruits of the new audio format. My player is a Pana dmr-bw750 hooked up via hdmi to the amp.

Audio doesnt sound right, also it just says multi ch on the front of amp (I cant find a option to select hd audio decoding). I would assume it should say DD ture hd (could be wrong). I selected DD true hd in the blu ray menu.

Cold someone point me in the right direction.

Copied & pasted from your user manual (in the settings menu):

To enjoy 7.1ch surround sound, the following conditions are necessary (Part shown in the shaded area of table given below).

* Set “BD-Video Secondary Audio” to “Off” in the Setup menu. (➡ 91)

* Set “Dolby D/Dolby D +/Dolby TrueHD” or “DTS/DTS-HD” to “Bitstream”

A few more pointers:

set Dynamic Range Compression to "off"

PCM down conversion to "off"

Edited by davep

If Davep's suggestions don't work it could be the authoring on the disc - some are set-up to default to the lossy formats. On the disc's main menu check for audio options and make sure the correct one is selected.

thanks for that, turning on bit streaming did the trick. Now a issue I have. All my components are hooked up via hdmi to my amp, then via hdmi to my tv. I dont like that I need to have my amp on to watch various components. Is there a way that all can be putgged into the tv and a lead from the tv to the amp (yet still carry hd audio to the amp).

In a nut shell I just want to be able to watch anything on the tv and not need the amp/surrond on.

Some amps ( not sure about your Onkyo) have a setting that allows you to do what you want, however it increases the standby power consumption, as it passes through the HDMI. You might have issues playing BR back without the amp on, as your tv obviously won't decode hd audio.

Personally id just buy a Logitech universal remote and use the amp whenever the tv is on.