Sign in to follow this  
bulla

Digital Channels Not Within Foxtel Channels

Wheelz,

The cable TV in the east uses overhead wiring which uses a thick black coaxial cable and dicast aluminium boxes often on the cable. Very ugly.

The Foxtel site when viewed in WA makes no mention FTA anywhere.

The reason why FTA is only available on cable and not satellite is because of the licence areas for FTA areas. Cable TV is restricted to the Licence area which matches the Free to Air licence.

Satelite footprints cover multiple FTA licence areas.

AlanH

Dude... WTF did you just write??

You cant be serious... Now I can see why forum members have a go at you

I went to https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/digitaltv put in my address to findout Foxtel on Optus cable is not available.

then I went to http://register.bigpond.com/check-availability.do no Telstra cable available.

This is Perth Suburbia.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/whats-on/tv-guide/default.htm#/sCgsBA2UEitvH-gNjBAADdgoBA2cKAQN5BAADeAVCc3aedfgAAAEBBWNjBgEDZAVB0-41bgAAAAE_ does not show any free to air channels when their website detects Perth.

There are too many posters who post what they think and do not check the facts.

AlanH

Alanh, no one has claimed the whole of Perth has cable access. The [connected] HFC coverage in Perth is quite limited but it does exist and examples of suburbs have been provided to you. You can search addresses at random in those suburbs to verify acces to Telstra broadband cable is available, if you are so inclined.

Brisbane is better served than Perth. My street happens to have Telstra HFC underground, and Optus HFC above ground. This is not unusual for older suburbs of Brisbane.

I went to https://www.optus.co...dband/digitaltv put in my address to findout Foxtel on Optus cable is not available.

then I went to http://register.bigp...availability.do no Telstra cable available.

This is Perth Suburbia.

BigPond Broadband Cable is available in cabled areas of Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and the Gold Coast. Customers can find out if they are eligible for BigPond Broadband Cable here.

http://www.bigpond.com/aboutbigpond/ispguidelines/broadband/price.asp

Your address is not the whole of Perth amazingly enough.

http://www.foxtel.co...ZAVB0-41bgAAAAE_ does not show any free to air channels when their website detects Perth.

Why can’t I see any FTA channels?

In order to see FTA channels you will need to login to the Gadget using your FOXTEL My Account username and password.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/support/services/tvguide-gadget/default.htm#subtopic26

That would suggest that Foxtel tailor the guide based on where you live based on the address of your service, rather than the fairly inaccurate detection based on IP address.

There are too many posters who post what they think and do not check the facts.

Like you.

I have 2 overhead Hybrid Fibre Optic cables in my street but notwithstanding that Foxtel have told me the only connection option is via satellite dish. So obviously they have given up on the cable option in some areas. So not content with the visual pollution of the cables, now they are forcing people to put up dishes! WTF!

BTW my location is Epping in Victoria

Edited by holdencaulfield2007

Wheelz,

The cable TV in the east uses overhead wiring which uses a thick black coaxial cable and dicast aluminium boxes often on the cable. Very ugly.

The Foxtel site when viewed in WA makes no mention FTA anywhere.

The reason why FTA is only available on cable and not satellite is because of the licence areas for FTA areas. Cable TV is restricted to the Licence area which matches the Free to Air licence.

Satelite footprints cover multiple FTA licence areas.

AlanH

Alan i could give a toss,you said fox cable was not available in perth i and others told you it is which you still seemed to not believe.Not interested in your other crap thanks.

So Wheelz why did you comment?

Go for moe,

You get the same result because there is no cable. The fastest is ADSL2+. There are still areas of Perth with dialup only.

Western Power would not allow Optus to install overhead wiring and Optus did not want to used underground because the housing density is lower making it uneconomic.Telstra would not allow them to use their cable pits. When Pay TV first started they tried Microwave Distribution System from the top of the highest building in the CBD. This was dropped after a couple of years and satellite was the only option.

Alanh

]Western Power would not allow Optus to install overhead wiring and Optus did not want to used underground because the housing density is lower making it uneconomic.Telstra would not allow them to use their cable pits. When Pay TV first started they tried Microwave Distribution System from the top of the highest building in the CBD. This was dropped after a couple of years and satellite was the only option.

You know what you can put in Telstra's cable pits? Telstra cable. You know what Foxtel use for their direct cable services? Telstra cable.

Perth having no Foxtel cable service ranks in contradiction of reality with Foxtel only transmitting MPEG-4 AVC. If this thread hasn't convinced alanh's few remaining supporters that he has no clue at all, it's hard to say what actually would.

As someone who came to Australia 10 years ago from the UK , I think a lot of you are missing the point on this subject. If Sky could figure out in the UK how to not only get the main FTA channels included (BBC1,BBC2,ITV, 4 &5) but also to include all the BBC regional networks, how come it seems to be so difficult in Oz to do the same. As was mentioned, yes we can get the channels by alternative means, but one big reason for getting Foxtel is the recording feature for delayed viewing.

I think you have missed the point, Bob Johnston. There is no lack of technical nous. The reasons are entirely financial.

If you can convince the Australian FTA networks to setup a 'free-sat' system whereby all terrestrial services (all!) are also available via an unencrypted open to all satellite service you would have done something that no government nor any commercial entity in this country has achieved in over 50 years of broadcasting.

Are you up to the challenge? :nuke:

As someone who came to Australia 10 years ago from the UK , I think a lot of you are missing the point on this subject. If Sky could figure out in the UK how to not only get the main FTA channels included (BBC1,BBC2,ITV, 4 &5) but also to include all the BBC regional networks, how come it seems to be so difficult in Oz to do the same. As was mentioned, yes we can get the channels by alternative means, but one big reason for getting Foxtel is the recording feature for delayed viewing.

In Australia the FTA networks refuse to spend significant money on satellite transponder lease costs for the smaller markets (outside Syd/Melb/Bris) because they just aren't big enough to justify it. They only have so much money to throw around for re-transmission of their signals on a competing network so they've only focused on the 3 largest markets. Even with those 3 markets they only pay for SD channel re-transmission because HD uses considerably more bandwidth and cost.

As for the recording feature of Foxtel, that's a silly excuse because every DVR on the market can do that for FTA with the added bonus that you can keep those recordings indefinitely because they aren't encrypted and locked down to the stupid crippled Foxtel IQ's.

If Sky could figure out in the UK how to not only get the main FTA channels included (BBC1,BBC2,ITV, 4 &5) but also to include all the BBC regional networks

The BBC pays for this to happen. (Can't speak for the others, don't know.)

A valid TV licence (in most cases) is still required in the UK if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast.

Probably lucky Rupert hasn't got all of Sky - yet.

OK - I live in Kingsley (northern suburb of Perth). I have Foxtel via cable. I also have Bigpond cable - DOCSIS 3 so it's 100/2.4Mb - blisteringly fast. The cable (as has been correctly stated) is underground. I have a pit in my street just for cable. I also have FTA channels on my Foxtel decoder. Including GEM, 7Mate, One HD and all the secondary FTA channels.

Those gentlemen are the facts.

. Those gentlemen are the facts.

Thats the part Alanh seems to have trouble with.

Where's alanh? As forum members have come to expect of alanh he's silently slunk off hoping people don't notice that he's departed yet another thread where all he's achieved is self-embarrassment and demonstration of his almost total lack of knowledge of the areas in which he lectures.

Of course, in the normal reality contradicting mode of his posts, alanh will later accuse others of just this behaviour. That's alanh for you though.