Digital Channels Not Within Foxtel Channels

Miata and wheelz-read, process then reply.....lets take another looky shall we-

Saw someone posted about 16? new FTA channels coming-that will hurt foxtel a bit more and more people might realise most of what they watch and record on foxtel are FTA channels.

Now maybe I'm missing something but where do I mention these are coming to foxtel........

I'm not sure what you're getting at, you posted ............"Bulla, its all about dollars, cents and agreements....Fox dont want to part with the $$$$$ to make a deal and offer you the FTA channels you are missing.

Saw someone posted about 16? new FTA channels coming-that will hurt foxtel a bit more and more people might realise most of what they watch and record on foxtel are FTA channels."

I replied to both parts of your post. A. It's NOT FOX parting with the dollars and cents, it's the FTA broadcasters who PAY FOX to add their channels.

You said that more people record mostly FTA off FOXTEL, I merely stated that, I record more of FOXTELS channels than I do FTA. Maybe 25% of what I record on the iQ2, is FTA.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is not 16 more channels coming,i would say the person saw the "freeview" ad which says 16 channels and got confused.

Miata and wheelz-read, process then reply.....lets take another looky shall we-

Saw someone posted about 16? new FTA channels coming-that will hurt foxtel a bit more and more people might realise most of what they watch and record on foxtel are FTA channels.

Now maybe I'm missing something but where do I mention these are coming to foxtel........

Suggest you re read i never said or mentioned fox in my reply to you, I was pointing out that the post you saw about new 16 ch's was wrong and maybe from someone who may have been confused about the freeview ads stating 16 new channels.

I'm confussed. I live in Hobart and have Austar. Through my Austar box I get all the FTA channels including HD channels.

Confused or concussed? (I'm the latter).

You have an Austar MyStar digital recorder, which allows this to be done.

The standard Austar box doesn't do this.

New estates with more than 100 dwellings,

http://www.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/136421/Fibre_in_New_Developments_Policy_Update_Statement_22_June_2011.pdf

Telstra velocity is one of the contractors providing fibre to these new estates and are feeding Foxtel into the fibre networks. This is because Telstra owns half of Foxtel.

This is fibre optic not coaxial cable which was trialled in Perth in 2001 in a few suburbs.

Alanh

This is fibre optic not coaxial cable which was trialled in Perth in 2001 in a few suburbs.

Incorrect,

The WA Government banned overhead cable TV wiring so Foxtel cable is not available in Perth.

no Telstra cable available.

As you've told us, Foxtel/Telstra cable isn't available in Perth. As your previous post couldn't have been wrong, your new post is quite confusing.

New estates with more than 100 dwellings,

http://www.dbcde.gov...2_June_2011.pdf

Telstra velocity is one of the contractors providing fibre to these new estates and are feeding Foxtel into the fibre networks. This is because Telstra owns half of Foxtel.

Alanh

And where exactly in that document does it mention anything about Foxtel being carried on the NBN to Velocity estates?

MTV,

These new estates don't have to carry Foxtel, however I know someone who is in a very new estate and this is what has been done, they also carry free to air TV.

Go for moe,

Where is your proof that cable trials did not occur in 2001?

I've also seen this type of installation in one of the trial suburbs in the Craigie area which was precabled with cable. It had a serious set of TV antennas going into a control box, and this was prior to the large digital TV rollout. They also had higher speed internet prior to ADSL2 upgrade of phone lines.

AlanH

MTV,

These new estates don't have to carry Foxtel, however I know someone who is in a very new estate and this is what has been done, they also carry free to air TV.

AlanH

alanh,

You posted a link, making reference to Telstra Velocity estates carrying Foxtel via the NBN... which had no mention of Foxtel whatsoever in the document you linked to.

Now you say these new estates don't have to carry Foxtel.

Specifically, what's the location of the very new estate are you talking about now which you claim carries Foxtel and FTA over the NBN fibre?

Is the FTA via Foxtel?... if not, how is it distributed and connected to a standard digital TV tuner?

Go for moe,

Where is your proof that cable trials did not occur in 2001?

My source is your prior posts saying that there is no Cable in Perth. If there were trials in 2001 there would be cable to deliver Foxtel to certain areas of Perth, but as you've clearly stated that

Foxtel cable is not available in Perth.

Then you must be wrong about there being a trial of cable in 2001 - if there was, where's the cable now?

Now you say these new estates don't have to carry Foxtel.

I've heard some reports of there being glorified CATV systems over estate fibre networks, many of which have no relation to the NBN at all. I recall a post where someone mentioned that both the regional stations and things like Al Jazeera were broadcast over a system like this.

They might well also send Foxtel channels over those sorts of systems, but again that would be more akin to a CATV system in a hotel, rather than being a full service.

The trials were with Western Power installing cable with power cable, but were not successful and that project is well and truly buried.

The wiring of cable in new estates may not be connected to the NBN until the NBN goes past the entrance to the estate. The reason for the use of fibre is to be ready for the NBN which could be years away.

As I said there are lots of houses with dishes for Foxtel in most suburbs.

There are MATV systems which use fibre repeaters and distribution

I will get some more details soon on the new estates.

AlanH

This is fibre optic not coaxial cable which was trialled in Perth in 2001 in a few suburbs. Alanh

FFS. It's staggering that for someone that apparently lives in Perth that you don't know that most of the inner suburbs of Perth (from memory most of the ones less than 15km from the CBD) were wired up with HFC cable through underground conduits in the mid 1990's (I believe installation took place from 1994-1996 then ceased and no expansion took place as funding was cut). Maps of the coverage area were posted on the BigPond website showing where you could get BigPond cable service but these were removed from their website around 2003 for some stupid reason, but I still remember them and the Perth coverage.

The Perth Telstra HFC network was upgraded to DOCSIS3 standard last year along with all the other 4 capital cities with a Telstra HFC network. Foxtel has been available through the Perth HFC network since 1994 (and was the ONLY way to get it in Perth until the Optus B3 sat provided a spot beam aimed specifically at Perth after it launched in 1997).

If you want an address that shows HFC cable availability in Perth on the BigPond Broadband availability checker then use this as an example of an address within the coverage area:

30 Hillock Circle, Leeming, WA 6149

(I have no idea who lives there, I just picked a random address in a suburb I know was covered in the mid 1990's HFC rollout).

Oh, and just checked, the Perth HFC network was upgraded to DOCSIS 3 standard on 30/11/2011 (for the few suburbs in Perth that have had a HFC connection for the past 17 YEARS!)

Here was the post advising of such:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/BigPond-Ultimate-Cable-is-green-for-go-in-Perth/td-p/18750

So Alan, please get a clue before posting more rubbish.

Foxtel and Bigpond in a joint press release today announced that neither of them provide nor have provided any cable related services to any locality in Perth.

Anyone that has Bigpond broadband in Perth is using ADSL2+. In instances where the subscriber has access to speeds beyond the normal capabilities of ADSL2+ they are provisioned using multiple ADSL2+ services bundled in a thick cable that resembles coax which is fed into a special 'cabled' modem at the subscribers premises.

Anyone that has Foxtel pay television is receiving it via a satellite service. In cases where no dish is visible this is simply due to the dish being buried underneath the subscribers house so as to not damage the asthetics of the subscribers property.

After making this announcement, Foxtel and Bigpond representatives then took the joint and smoked it, because its the only way that alanh's bizzarre and persistent claims that there are no cable services in Perth have any chance of aligning with the services provided by Foxtel and Bigpond.

There's alanh's world and then there is the world the rest of us live in. Fortunately for us the two shall never meet. Perhaps rather than digging that hole deeper and deeper alanh, you do what you normally do and slink quietly off and hope no one notices that you've gotten things horribly wrong... again.

Edited by DrP

The wiring of cable in new estates may not be connected to the NBN until the NBN goes past the entrance to the estate. The reason for the use of fibre is to be ready for the NBN which could be years away.

As I said there are lots of houses with dishes for Foxtel in most suburbs.

There are MATV systems which use fibre repeaters and distribution

I will get some more details soon on the new estates.

AlanH

You made specific reference to Telstra Velocity estates with BigPond and Foxtel over fibre (which is being installed specifically in readiness for the NBN)... and that you "know someone who is in a very new estate and this is what has been done, they also carry free to air TV."

If it is just a neighbourhood MATV distribution system etc.... that has nothing to do with BigPond and Foxtel in Telstra Velocity estates via the NBN fibre rollout.

Considering you know someone in this 'very new estate' why can't you say exactly where that estate is?

Nobody has denied the existence of individual estates with MATV distribution via fibre... but you specified Telstra Velocity estates, with BigPond and Foxtel which are designed for the NBN, which you say 'could be years away'.

The NBN being years away (in many areas, even though fibre in the estates is currently being installed) is about the only factual information you've mentioned.

Why alanh chooses to "lecture" DTV Forum members on topics of which he has only a fragmentary knowledge, mystifies me.

I find that even my own extremely casual knowledge of cable distribution of Foxtel, when supplemented by 5 minutes of Google searching, is enough to show me that the bulk of alanh's posts in this thread contains false, or at best misleading, information.

Others much more knowledgeable than myself in the subject area of HFC and satellite provision of Foxtel have provided more specific information in this thread for the enlightenment of alanh and other readers. Why alanh hasn't gratefully and gracefully accepted the guidance of these more knowledgeable individuals (e.g. davmel) escapes me.

It is particularly perplexing to understand why alanh has gone down this path of, publicly on this forum, getting facts about Perth so terribly wrong when it is considered he apparently resides in a northern suburb of Perth, and when he purports to have "industry contacts". Why can I, living in Brisbane, with no industry contacts, find information through Google about Perth so readily, that contradicts the bulk of alanh's posts? Why can't he do a little bit of internet searching and apply some common sense? For example there are odd posts available on Whirlpool many years old that refer to an extensive HFC network being laid in Perth, but to only parts of it ever being connected. There is no reason to doubt the veracity of such posts. These posts have been available for viewing for years.

Speculation:

It seems to me that the fact Optus was apparently denied permission to lay overhead cables in Perth in the mid 1990s meant that Telstra had no competitor. There would have been no need for Telstra to complete the provision of underground HFC in Perth (e.g. using Telstra's existing underground ducts) when Foxtel subscribers could simply be asked to obtain satellite dishes. In contrast in Brisbane, in suburbs with power poles, Optus still use overhead HFC cable extensively, and Telstra competes with an extensive connected network of largely underground HFC. I am speculating here about Perth and if I am wrong perhaps someone will correct me.