Help With Distribution

Hi, I've currently got 4 outlets running off a splitter in the roof, ATV/DTV picture quality is pretty good.

I'd like to upgrade this to cater for 6 outlets with the ability to have 2 inputs, 1 for the antenna, and 1 for a RF modulator -> UHF. What equipment would be required?

The RF modulator I currently have is being feed back into the antenna loop at one of the outlets via a splitter, the picture quality on the TV's at the other end of our house is very grainy. I’m hoping by having a dedicated line from this modulator back into a distribution system will improve the picture quality.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thank you

A combiner/diplexer between the aerial/masthead and splitter will allow the modulation to be mixed in with less insertion loss (and negating the need to be attenuated by 2 splitters in reverse before splitting).

Assuming the signal levels are reasonable it may be possible to just replace the 4way splitter with a 6way splitter with no issues, if amplification is required, you'll still need the 6 way split, so no cash lost (a splitter is bugger all $$$ anyway).

Edited by nbound

4 outlets running off a splitter in the roof, ATV/DTV picture quality is pretty good

So, what transmitter are you utilising for your signals? Failing that, what suburb/city/state are you in?

The RF modulator I currently have

Make & model would be helpful.

As much information as possible is helpful. Even a rough diagram of your current setup could be helpful.

Hi M'Bozo,

Im not sure of the splitter currently in the roof, but it looks like a cheap one, non F-type. Im on the west side of Melb.

The RF Modulator is the one from DSE http://dicksmith.com.au/product/L1507/analogue-rf-video-modulator

I currently have the output of this going into a kingray booster, then into a splitter, then into a wall plate. This isn't ideal which is why Id like to find a better solution.

Cheers

OK, I've used that particular modulator before.

My preferred approach: I feed FTA signals into the modulator at roughly the same level as the RF output of the modulator in standalone mode.

The RF modulator frequency is set so there is no interference to or from other signals present in the mix.

The output of the RF modulator is then amplified to a suitable level, to split & distribute around the house.

Without a level meter of some kind this approach may not be suitable for you.

Additionally, all FTA signals here are on UHF, making it easier for me.

Indeed, if it has RF passthrough, then just plug it between the aerial and your spliter (unless you have a masthead amp or anything else requiring power towards the aerial - as it wont pass power). Might need to get a sparky in to install a GPO up in the roof though - in which case you could then put your masthead power supply (if applicable) before the input.

Edited by nbound

What are you trying to (re)modulate? Pay TV boxes generally have inbuilt modulators.

Im feeding IQ2 into the modulator, there is no RF out on these boxes unfortunatley.

To thow another question into the mix, Im going to upgrade all the cabling to quad RG6, at the wall plates what connection is best to use these days? F-type, or PAL. I currently have PAL circular type plugs but happy to change to F-Type if these are better?

Cheers

Edited by BassTeQ

Theoretically f-type is better, but pal will be fine to use. PAL plugs cause an impedance mismatch (50ohm vs. 75ohm), but its not going to cause a problem (as 99% of australians will show you). Most modern wall plates whether F or pal are actually F on the back (cavity) side, so get some extra f crimps even if u do choose pal.

Theoretically f-type is better, but pal will be fine to use. PAL plugs cause an impedance mismatch (50ohm vs. 75ohm), but its not going to cause a problem (as 99% of australians will show you). Most modern wall plates whether F or pal are actually F on the back (cavity) side, so get some extra f crimps even if u do choose pal.

Thanks nbound!

IQ works Flawlessly when you put it Thru a HDMI input Modulator ;)

Do you have a link to the one you used?

I'm looking at the items below, 2 questions

1. Can the 2 way splitter be used in reverse, as a combiner?

2. Is there much difference between the roll of RG6 Quad I've selected compared to say Belden brand RG6?

Digitek 2-Way F-Type TV Antenna Aerial Splitter 5-2400MHz 10DCS202

http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=74520&c=0&i=273434745

Digitek 8-Way F-Type TV Antenna Aerial Splitter 5-2400MHz 10DCS208

http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=74520&c=0&i=273437618

100m RG6 Quad Shielded TV Antenna Coaxial Cable on Roll/Spool CCRG6Q100

http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=74520&c=0&i=274358348

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Don't use a two way splitter to mix off air signals. You should always use either a diplexer or drop tap to ensure good levels of isolation. I'd go for a 6-10 db drop tap or an m14/5 (band 1-4, band 5 diplexer) from laceys.tv or other supplier.

Recommend staying away from a VHF/UHF diplexer as you'll loose all SBS and 31 on most systems.

A drop tap is non channel specific and will allow for infinite adjustment of channel selection (in many cases this is very helpful). Be sure not to go above channel 52 as the government is set to sell these channels off possibly to the highest bidder (e.g. for cellular communication).