Possible Sub Upgrade Soon, Opinions Sought...........

I have an older Paradigm PS1000 Subwoofer and absolutely love it!

I've just started looking at possible upgrades and of course went straight to Paradigm and saw these, http://www.digitalce...oofer-each.html http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/4434463/paradigm-dsp-3100-series-v2-subwoofer-each.html

Would it be much of an upgrade at all?

Anyone have this sub as I'd love some feedback, also any other suggestions for other subs in the sub $1200 range.

Cheers in advance for any reply's.

Wags

Edited by Wags

Wags,

I have one of these and am (was) very happy. I recently just upgraded to dual subs (different brand) so have a used one for sale if you're interested. It's in Sydney, currently asking $700 ONO, approximately 18 months old.

blonk

I have an older Paradigm PS1000 Subwoofer and absolutely love it!

I've just started looking at possible upgrades and of course went straight to Paradigm and saw these, http://www.digitalce...oofer-each.html http://www.digitalce...oofer-each.html

Cheers in advance for any reply's.

Wags

There is a thread on that retailer in the reviews section I believe, have a read Wags.

eastwood have the DSP-3400 advertised on their specials website, bigger badder discontinued version of the dsp-3200...... and its cheaper than price for dsp-3200 on your linked website. have a look http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/specials.html

There is a thread on that retailer in the reviews section I believe, have a read Wags.

eastwood have the DSP-3400 advertised on their specials website, bigger badder discontinued version of the dsp-3200...... and its cheaper than price for dsp-3200 on your linked website. have a look http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/specials.html

Whooh hoo, that 3400 looks like 'the one'!

Cheers for the link.

Wags

I'm adding another sub to my setup. One of these badboys in a custom veneer to match the rest of my set up.

The design has been modified slightly from what's on the webpage to give it a sharper, punchier reponse.

Cheers,

Chris

As Pauline would say, "please explain". :)

I didn't realise Krix customised designs like that. I knew they did custom finishes but...need more info please. What done, why, $$$ etc??? I'm always looking at subs for when I replace mine sometime in the next 100 years. :mellow:

I'm adding another sub to my setup. One of these badboys in a custom veneer to match the rest of my set up.

The design has been modified slightly from what's on the webpage to give it a sharper, punchier reponse.

Cheers,

Chris

60KG, bloody hell!

That would blow my modest budget out of the water I assume?

Well, what's your budget? It's not as expensive as you might think.

When I say it's customised, I mean they've modified the design based on some feedback they've received, to make it more punchier for home theatre duties. It's slightly shallower, different internal baffling, modified vent etc.

Oh, these subs are usually passive, but mine's been customised to include a 900w ICE power amp, rather than using an aftermarket external one.

I went down this path as I'm pretty much a Krix fanboi, and wanted something as good, or better than a submersive. I originally contacted Mark for a quote, but didn't receive a reply, so went down this path. I'll be adding this sub to my set up, so I'll have a modified Krix Seismix 5 12" (using the newer ICE power amp found in the Volcanix) and this 18" beastie. I was originally going to get the dual 18" sub, but it would probably have been overkill for my room size (6.6 x 4.2 x 2.5m), so with Scott Krix' recommendation, I wet for the single 18".

Cheers,

Chris

Well, what's your budget? It's not as expensive as you might think.

When I say it's customised, I mean they've modified the design based on some feedback they've received, to make it more punchier for home theatre duties. It's slightly shallower, different internal baffling, modified vent etc.

Oh, these subs are usually passive, but mine's been customised to include a 900w ICE power amp, rather than using an aftermarket external one.

I went down this path as I'm pretty much a Krix fanboi, and wanted something as good, or better than a submersive. I originally contacted Mark for a quote, but didn't receive a reply, so went down this path. I'll be adding this sub to my set up, so I'll have a modified Krix Seismix 5 12" (using the newer ICE power amp found in the Volcanix) and this 18" beastie. I was originally going to get the dual 18" sub, but it would probably have been overkill for my room size (6.6 x 4.2 x 2.5m), so with Scott Krix' recommendation, I wet for the single 18".

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I like the sub,the sub you are buying has limited output below 35hz to 30hz (as all that are used for commercial Theatres) so drivers x max is not exceeded .Above 40hz this sub will be hard to beat by any sub .

Below 35hz to 15hz (10hz for Sgr ss18p) Seaton and SGR will have far more output.So it depends on how low you wish to go in room and what your goal is.(some blurays have bass down to 5hz)

Cheers Victor.

Oh yeaH, $1200, sorry, I forgot that. I was looking at the first sub on the Eastwood hifi like @ $3500ish...

Hi Chris,

I like the sub,the sub you are buying has limited output below 35hz to 30hz (as all that are used for commercial Theatres) so drivers x max is not exceeded .Above 40hz this sub will be hard to beat by any sub .

Below 35hz to 15hz (10hz for Sgr ss18p) Seaton and SGR will have far more output.So it depends on how low you wish to go in room and what your goal is.(some blurays have bass down to 5hz)

Cheers Victor.

Hi Victor, well, I DID want bass as low as possible, so maybe I'll have to add a third sub in time to come! :hyper: I do want that "brown note" after all... :lol:

Where abouts did you get the info from re the below 30hz? I've only gone off what I found online on both the Seaton and Krix sites.

Cheers,

Chris

he is looking in the sub $1200 range though !

around $1k the paradigms punch pretty well. there are a few other options from krix, rel, and also the legend kurlo which might be able to bend a dealers arm to get within budget. otherwise if the op is just happy with the sub he has, adding another is always a great idea :)

oops, alright half a fathom..................

LMAO!....ur posts always crack me up!.

The paradigm one the op wants to get looks pretty good!. Should also check out the Legend Kurlo, as Al said you could probably push some dealers to go with your budget ;)

Prior - Havent heard the Krix sub but looks to me the Submersive you would definetly want for below 30hz output. Quite a few movies have sub sonic notes you wouldnt want to miss out on :)....if you cant get the Submersive the JL Fathom is a pretty awesome sub too, heard it at yorac and it definetly is no slouch :)

• 3 weeks later...