Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

2012 Samsung E Series Tv Discussion

Available at Costco in Sydney now with a ticketed price of $3199

IMG00349_20120428_1208.jpg

Mine is great. I have been working heaps so felt like it hasn't been on but watched a couple of blu's last night and today and can't believe how great the quality is. Still happy with everything, even the slight humming it makes like electrical static - can 100% advise it's very directional in that if you stand up you can hear it and sitting down you can't but never hear a thing with even the slightest background noise present.

Here is a couple of screen shots with a point and shoot camera from my temporary location. Room has a chandelier light that dangles below screen level and creates a strong reflection however this is with the light on so it gives you an indication of the screen quality.

Movie is the smurfs in 2D lol

P1080511.jpg

P1080510.jpg

If anyone has any requests of scenes or demo material and I can assist, just ask and I will take a picture.

I can't open the Costco pic, was that the price on a 64"?

Can you try out a dark scene, say from Star Wars / one of the submarine / space movies ?

Thanks

Edited by petetherock

Whilst it's nice to know the 2012 model has improved on the 2011, and beats the VT30 in some areas, it's a pity to know it's now compared to the low end ST50?

It's more of a case of Panasonic improving the value proposition of their ST range, which, according to reviews, exceeds even the quality set by last year's VT series. Pricing wise, the Samsung "top of the range" is now at almost the same price point as Panasonic's "bottom of the range", so it's not really "low end" compared to "high end", but rather Samsung not having a VT equivalent price (or quality) wise. Feature wise, the E8000 is probably equivalent to the VT series (at ST prices, so for those that want the latest gadgets, there's an easy choice), but Samsung has no answers to the more expensive VT range in terms of picture quality.

Panasonic have also worked hard to improve the styling of their new range, while Samsung seems to be going backwards with the stupid spider leg design and not being able to make their minds up on what colour the bezel should be.

Forgot to add in my review that the new dual core processor in the TV really does help to speed up not only apps, but also things like channel/source switching and responsiveness to remote control commands. I did find the remote very directional sensitive (the sensor is on the lower left hand side of the TV, while looking at the TV).

Yes that's the price on the 64"

I don't actually have star wars. I have the Dark Knight or maybe something like Max Payne?

Lots of places have been quoting $3100/3200 on the 64" (even Hardly Normal), with the 60" at around to $2200-2300, but it's good to see Costco getting in on the action without the need to haggle!

One grand difference for 4" ?? Wow. That will buy a lot of discs..

I just need to make up my mind on whether I should wait another month for the vt50 65" to appear ...

And deal with the remote sensor being blocked.

I am finding the remote is non-directional to be honest. I can point it the away from the TV and it works. It is also much faster than my previous Samsung.

Can't say I have found the remote to be an issue at all in terms of having it not respond. granted I do have no obstacles and I am back about 5m so you would assume that would help.

I have iRule ready to roll once I get into my house so I won't be using any remotes.

Max Payne - Chapter 19

Room Light on

P1080516.jpg

Room Light off

P1080517.jpg

*taken with a point and shoot camera with flash disabled and automatic settings.

One grand difference for 4" ?? Wow. That will buy a lot of discs..

I just need to make up my mind on whether I should wait another month for the vt50 65" to appear ...

60" seems to be the crossover sweetspot for pricing. If you're interested in the 65" VT50, I presume picture quality is your driver regardless of price. I can't justify going up that much in price.

I have "buyer's paralysis" -

My past TV buying experiences have been simple.

Now I worry about so many other things, it's paralysed me from committing to a VT30 (cheap but older and the remote sensor & IR is blocked), vacillate on the Samsung and dreading that there is no GT50 and the VT50 65" is too expensive and too far away! frown.gif

Of your paralysis, I would say the only certainty is that a 65" VT30 will be terrifyingly expensive. I'd expect over 5k.

decided to download and run the AVSHD709 calibration slides tonight. These are the settings I ended up with so far:

Mode: Movie

Cell Light: 12

Contrast: 76

Brightness: 70

Sharpness: 17

Colour: 47

Tint: G50,R50

Dynamic Contast: off

Black Tone: off

Flesh Tone: 0

I have reset everything else and turned off 10p white balance. Colour space is auto and gamma is -1 but I don't have any equipment to test this out.

Will watch some familiar material now and see how it looks however I think I definitely will be going for a pro calibration eventually.

I struggled to dial in the white clipping slide; just couldn't get it to perform the way the manual suggests it will look.

Thanks Paul, how about that black off flicker issue, did you manage to reproduce it?

Pretty sure I have only noticed it once. It's certainly not something that I am having an issue with or at least one that is causing me grief.

Is it possible it's part of the setting black tones that I have off? Perhaps the firmware we received has it disabled? The US have already had a couple of updates whilst mine is still as it was shipped and there is no updates available locally.

I have "buyer's paralysis" -

My past TV buying experiences have been simple.

Now I worry about so many other things, it's paralysed me from committing to a VT30 (cheap but older and the remote sensor & IR is blocked), vacillate on the Samsung and dreading that there is no GT50 and the VT50 65" is too expensive and too far away! frown.gif

If you really want the pana, just get an IR repeater, problem solved, atm I am leaning to the Samsung as I plan in getting a projector as my critical viewing and think the Samsung is offering better bang for buck over the VT30, I have seen it around 4.5k for run out and at the Costco price toucan get the new Sammy for 3.2k, I shudder to think how much the new pana will be but I bet it will be north of 5k if not 6k

decided to download and run the AVSHD709 calibration slides tonight. These are the settings I ended up with so far:

Cell Light: 12

Contrast: 76

Brightness: 70

Sharpness: 17

Colour: 47

Tint: G50,R50

Dynamic Contast: off

Black Tone: off

Flesh Tone: 0

I have reset everything else and turned off 10p white balance. Colour space is auto and gamma is -1 but I don't have any equipment to test this out.

Will watch some familiar material now and see how it looks however I think I definitely will be going for a pro calibration eventually.

I struggled to dial in the white clipping slide; just couldn't get it to perform the way the manual suggests it will look.

What kind of viewing conditions do you have? The cell light settings seem a bit too low, and brightness probably a bit too high (the Cnet settings used cell light at 20, and brightness at the default 45). I plan on running the AVS disc myself soon, but just some simple visual calibration on discs I've used in the past, plus some test patterns found on the BBC Life Blu-ray, and I came up with these settings for Blu-ray:

Cell Light: 18

Contrast: 86

Brightness: 43

Sharpness: 0

Colour: 50

Everything else is at the default movie mode settings (so dynamic contrast off, black tone off ... also using warm 2, and cinema smooth on if available). It's very similar to the settings I had for my old 58C7000.

Pretty sure I have only noticed it once. It's certainly not something that I am having an issue with or at least one that is causing me grief.

Is it possible it's part of the setting black tones that I have off? Perhaps the firmware we received has it disabled? The US have already had a couple of updates whilst mine is still as it was shipped and there is no updates available locally.

It only happens sporadically, but I found it really evident during the initial title screens of the 2012 Blu-ray (I have the UK one, but I think the oz one is the same). This is the worst I've experienced so far, as it flickers quite a bit during the opening title and space scenes due to the number of fade to blacks that are present.

Edited by HTPCFreak

Can you use different glasses with these models other than the ones that come with it? Eg the Optoma zd201 seem to be getting a good wrap on avs

What kind of viewing conditions do you have? The cell light settings seem a bit too low, and brightness probably a bit too high (the Cnet settings used cell light at 20, and brightness at the default 45). I plan on running the AVS disc myself soon, but just some simple visual calibration on discs I've used in the past, plus some test patterns found on the BBC Life Blu-ray, and I came up with these settings for Blu-ray:

Cell Light: 18

Contrast: 86

Brightness: 43

Sharpness: 0

Colour: 50

Everything else is at the default movie mode settings (so dynamic contrast off, black tone off ... also using warm 2, and cinema smooth on if available). It's very similar to the settings I had for my old 58C7000.

It only happens sporadically, but I found it really evident during the initial title screens of the 2012 Blu-ray (I have the UK one, but I think the oz one is the same). This is the worst I've experienced so far, as it flickers quite a bit during the opening title and space scenes due to the number of fade to blacks that are present.

My viewing conditions are temporary at the moment, so not a real good setup for watching TV however it's very bright (artificial ight). I agree that comparing my config to that of Cnet and also AVS forum review, cell light is low. Originally I plugged in some D8000 settings and I was impressed with this until I ran the calibrator disc. The only way I could configure the slides was with the numbers I plugged in. This gives me 2 scenarios, either I can't use the calibrator tool (most likely) or my personal viewing preference is different to what it should look like in terms of calibration. I could have still turned up brightness further to really dial in the slides correctly but I was hesitant to do this.

Calibrator disc does not discuss cell light so I assume this is a personal preference? Last night I watched swordfish BD with these settings and the light off; The colour tones to me look spot on. People actually look healthy and realistic.

I have not used cinema smooth at all yet. I tired to enable it last night during a doco called 'life' but it was not available.

Watched closely on all content last night for the black issue and also sat through the credits but definitely did not occur (or I didn't notice it).

Edited by Paul81

Paul:

Can you see if the bluetooth supports BT keyboards + mice?

I have a very nice logitech wireless KB+ mouse.

Saw a super deal on an outgoing D8000 at HN... will visit that and see if that pans out... I am concerned about a few things on the older model, but let's see...

Paul:

Can you see if the bluetooth supports BT keyboards + mice?

Pete: I don't have a bluetooth keyboard or mouse sorry. I have sent you a PM to offer another solution.

Thanks

Purchased my 64inch E8000 today for $2517 delivered. Purchased from good guys in Bayswater using the Australia Post gift cards which have 20% off. They also had a 65 inch Panasonic VT30 for 4k without haggling, display only.

Very happy with the price which was $3150 Delivered wthout the discounted gift cards.

I receive the TV tomorrow so will give you a brief review then.

Edited by rogerp

That's a decent price. Did you get any extended warranty?

Had you seen it on display or blind purchase?

Yes, I got additional 2 years for $229.00. I called up nowing re the gift cards, and used this online price to try and price match. Loved the D8000 if it wasn't for the silver border and problems that people had so decided to wait for new model, as I will be mounting the TV.

Used this link to price match http://shop.gameon.n...--series-8.html however because it was in another state they said have to allow $200 for delivery. Wasn't too fussed as I had the gift cards.

Edited by rogerp