Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

2012 Samsung E Series Tv Discussion

@Paul

Nope... housework... sigh... plus Miata's link made me ponder further - indecision!

An installer friend actually suggested I get the D8000 if I can knock it down further, and pay for the extra warranty instead of getting something which is a little better... that seems to make sense?

Edited by petetherock

I wanted the D8000, couldn't find one anywhere in 64" only ended up with the E 'accidentally' really, but I can't complain one bit yet, I am loving this tv and that's with the contrast and cell light turned down.

I have set most things up based on a D8000 calibration from avs forum but as mentioned above, turned a couple of things down to be safe - would be interested in Owens thoughts on this.

My only complaints for now are SD tv is rubbish haha and for some reason, when I change channels, after about 40sec the mini guide pops up to show you what is on and then drops away after about 10sec. I can't find a setting option to disable this but I suppose I can get used to it.

Also picture in picture is disabled and can't be enabled, plus US firmware is ahead of the version I have installed and no updates yet apart from smart hub which updated 19 items immediately and has since had 2 or 3 further updates. Smart hub and remote control response is super fast compared to other samsungs I have played around with.

I wish I had foxtel in this room and especially hd foxtel. I will have to settle with bd's for now to enjoy it. Lucky it's orthodox Easter so I'm staying in with the family so get to enjoy it more haha

Can you use a USB to update?

Why no pip?

Strange...

Can you post your settings too, cheers.

Yes, you can update via USB however when I first fired it up, first thing I did was look in the menu to update over wifi but search for updates was disabled. Once I updated the smart hub today, it is now activated that option in the menu and you can use NET, USB or Service connection

Picture in Picture is definitely disabled and says check settings. I haven't been able to work out if it can be activated yet. Maybe when the first firmware update comes out it will fix it - it's not an issue for me at this stage though as I don't need it.

Settings I have plugged in are from user 'Zoyd' on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1333561 and are as follows:

Mode Movie Average gamma (fixed APL) 2.3 Peak White 35 ftL Cell light 16 contrast 91 brightness 56 sharpness 8 color 47 tint 51G/49R black tone off dynamic off gamma -2 flesh tone 0 edge enhance off motion lighting off xvYcc off color tone warm2 digital noise auto* mpeg noise off Custom color space Red_r 40 Red_g 7 Red_b 8 Green_r 21 Green_g 47 Green_b 0 Blue_r 0 Blue_g 2 Blue_b 48 Yellow_r 50 Yellow_g 48 Yellow_b 8 Cyan_r 20 Cyan_g 50 Cyan_b 50 Magenta_r 39 Magenta_g 7 Magenta_b 48 White Balance r-off 22 g-off 25 b-off 22 r-gain 18 g-gain 25 b-gain 27 10-pt intervals 1 0,0,1 2 3,2,2 3 3,2,2 4 0,0,-1 5 0,1,-4 6 1,2,1 7 1,3,1 8 3,4,2 9 -1,0,1 10 -1,2,3

Note, not every item in this list is available on the E8000 but for the most part it's the same. I currently have contrast down to about 65 and cell light I think is on 9. I have essentially turned them down as far as I could to a point that I could still enjoy the picture however it is quite dark when a dark scene is present in a movie. I am not sure I need to do this, and if someone has any advice on this I will tweak it up but I am happy and feel like I am being better off safe for now.

Here is a couple of really crappy pictures of my temporary setup.

http://postimage.org/image/4h8973733/

http://postimage.org/image/q2dbup3tr/

Worked out how to use picture in picture. You can only have pip when you have two different sources connected ie: BD player and RF input so you can have the movie as the main image and a digital channel as the pip program. It makes sense given its only a single tuner. I was trying to use it before with no external device turned on so it disables the option.

On screen menu has a built in e-manual and that is quite intuitive and user friendly. It also contains much more than the printed manual that is supplied so is good if you have time to explore.

Also managed to disable the tv guide pop up (I think) but not sure what the chain reaction to that will be. Have also got time shift or pause live tv recording working when you connect a hdd except that I don't have an empty hdd and don't want to format the ones I have into a Samsung file structure that is device restricted, so this can wait.

3D is amazing (with standard settings). Not sure if this is a new feature or not but when the 3D source is stopped, the glasses turn off automatically. Tv was also supplied with 2 pairs of battery operated glasses. The brightness is good and the depth of field looks great. My cousin has the 55" led/LCD 2011 edition and I think they are very similar in terms of 3d picture quality.

Thanks for the info Paul, I guess I am waiting for a proper review, plus some posts on whether the major issues of the D series are behind us:

- buzz

- screen peel

- lousy caps - this could be hard to find out, since they don't fail immediately..

However, I really like it and with the ability to mount it lower, it's probably higher on my list than the VT50, although the ST 50 is still a possibility.

I will try and decide within a couple of weeks... my 24" monitor isn't very nice to watch my discs, and I try to avoid looking at that ever increasing pile of unwatched BR discs...

There is 100% an audible sound from the unit when it's on. Obviously this is subjective however I have muted the content audio and have been in the house on my own and also with my wife at different stages and it's certainly not a buzz or a sound that impedes on a viewers enjoyment. You can hear it clearly from within a 1m radius of the set and it's certainly louder from the rear if you stick your head behind it - how this will be once wall mounted is anyone's guess for now.

Today we had our wedding photos on as a slideshow and had no sound playing. Not one of the 18 people present commented on any noise coming from the set so I think this is a good indication however if you expect a silent TV, this is not the unit for you.

Screen Peel, I have not seen this with my own eyes on any other set to comment or determine if it's an issue, however I can't see any issues with the displayed image on this unit. Today I was running some run in slides and the image is constant from edge to edge.

I am very keen to see some official reviews. Regardless though, I am stuck with it unless something happens that is enough for it to be replaced. I purchased an additional 4 years warranty so I have 5 years up my sleeve (hopefully I don't need it).

Edited by Paul81

Thanks for the info Paul, I guess I am waiting for a proper review, plus some posts on whether the major issues of the D series are behind us: - buzz - screen peel - lousy caps - this could be hard to find out, since they don't fail immediately.. However, I really like it and with the ability to mount it lower, it's probably higher on my list than the VT50, although the ST 50 is still a possibility. I will try and decide within a couple of weeks... my 24" monitor isn't very nice to watch my discs, and I try to avoid looking at that ever increasing pile of unwatched BR discs...

I have owned a D8000 since last November and folks in my home do use the TV more heavily than others. This TV runs typically more than 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I have not notice any of the described major problems with D8000.

Actually I spent about two grand importing and install this special Swiss Acoustic wood, so that should help if there is really some buzz... I doubt that I can hold out for a long time, i.e. til the VT 50 shows up, but if the ST 50 65" comes, I will be keen to have a look and see what that's like before I spend on my first Samsung...

I also note from the skimpy manual that recording of digital channels but not analogue TV is possible?

Also conceivably I can add a USB hub, which will have a cable that is long enough so it will rest on my console, and allow me to then have a SD card adaptor, 3D glasses, maybe an external HDD etc attached to it and sitting on my console top?

Edited by petetherock

BTW a friend in the AV business in Asia mentioned that Samsung is actively trying to compete with Panny, and will hit them on price, whereas Panny will try to sell their VT30s first, then release the VT50 / ST 50 later, and at a premium to recoup their losses.

That means the Sammy will likely be my choice unless I find a old D8000 for a dirt cheap price... I much prefer the new look :)

Peter,

Why do you want PAL Australian analog? There will be none at all by the end of next year in both Australia and New Zealand.

You would be better off with more HDMI inputs.

AlanH

Peter,

Why do you want PAL Australian analog? There will be none at all by the end of next year in both Australia and New Zealand.

You would be better off with more HDMI inputs.

AlanH

Not quite sure what do you mean Alan?

Are you referring to the old D8000 or the newer E8000?

Both of them have DTV and analogue tuners, but the newer model has one less HDMI IIRC.

Samsung Australian announcement … RRP for the 65inch E8000 is $3899

http://www.samsung.com/au/news/localnews/2012/experience-the-future-of-samsung-entertainment-now-with-samsungs-new-range-of-smart-tvs

Pioneer Australia details … RRP of $5999 … what a rip off considering both TVs are priced practically the same in the USA

http://panasonic.com.au/Products/VIErA+televisions/Plasma+TVs/TH-P65VT50A/Overview

The price difference between Samsung and Panasonic was the main reason why I purchased Samsung D8000 instead of VT30. I ended up with 59 inch D8000 and Lumagen 3D mini at the same price of a 64 inch VT but with superior pictures because of superior video processing and calibration option available on the Lumagen.

Smallest Plasma listed is 60", I wonder if there is no intention to import smaller models.

Anyone managed a good price on the new 64", currently have a 8G Kuro Lx50, which I love, need a new tv for second room, can go for a cheapy or move the Kuro & go for a bigger new model. Can't say it appears much better, just bigger.

If I can get a good price I think it will tip me to option 2

Here's a PS64E8000 at a very brighlty lit Hardly Normal next to Ikea Springvale:

February003.jpg

Regards

I saw a Samsung 55" LED ES8000 at JB HIFI Robina today for $4491 (dreaming) looked pretty good though, had the movie UP playing, im still weary of Samsung though............

Edited by mcwayne1

Ah that was the pic on the AV website... :)

I have a dilemma right now, wait for the VT50 65", get this 64" E8000 or grab a deal on the older VT30...

The remote sensor is a big issue since it is blocked by the centre speaker in the Panasonic TVs.

Any ideas?

I've had the PS60E8000 at my home for a few days now, as a replacement for a purple haze 58C7000, so here's a mini review:

* Styling: Not a fan of the spider legs, and it's all a bit wobbly, but what can you do. The bezel of the TV is very thin though, dark/metal grey in colour with a slight sheen, and it's not bad looking.

* Connections: Only 3 HDMI ports compared to 4 on the 58C7000, AV and component now combined into the same set of connectors (which connect directly to the TV - no more flimsy adapter cables) - this means you can only use AV or component, but not both. Also, no more VGA inputs. There's an extra USB port, that makes 3, and you have wonder if it's better to have exchanged that for an extra HDMI port.

* Black level, brightness: Black level noticeably improved compared to C7000, not sure how much compared to D8000 though. Some reviews have said the set isn't as bright as before, but it seemed bright enough for me in my dimmed light viewing environment. The only difference is that whereas I had the C7000 at cell light 18, this set might need the same setting to be tweaked to 19 to get the same effect. No CS on bug, so black levels remain the same (according to other reviews, maybe even better) with CS on.

* Motion: Motion is silky smooth, so much so that I actually thought there may have been some interpolation going on. But it's mostly very natural, and with Blu-ray, still very cinematic and not "TV" like.

* Fluctuating brightness: The controversial inclusion of a new feature might annoy some people. What happens is that on a pure black image, the screen automatically turns itself off momentarily. This can be annoying with black fade-ins and outs during movies, where the screen appears to turn itself off, and then moments later, you see a jump in black levels as the image fades in from black. In a completely dark room, the change in black levels is pretty evident. The "switch" happens quite quickly, in a fraction of a second - it's not too distracting for me, but it might be for others.

* 3D: Haven't tested it much, so can't really comment. My set came with two pairs of the 4100 universal glasses. It's quite flimsy and light, and it comes disassembled so you'll have to plug the legs of the glasses in - they don't appear to fold, so storage is an issue (really don't want to unplug the legs every time, as the cheap plastic will no doubt break soon enough). In use though, they worked fine, and for someone like me that's prone to headaches in 3D, it seemed a bit better than the 2100 and 220 glasses I had, and the quality is probably as good as you can expect on a active 3D set.

* Sound: Fairly weak speakers as you would expect, but OK for day to day stuff.

* Smart Controls: Voice control works, but it's a bit erratic. It also turns itself on at times if you or the TV makes a sound that's only remotely similar to the trigger word (default: "Hi TV" - so it sometimes activates when I say "LCD", because apparently these two words sound similar enough). It takes longer than using the remote, so it's only handy when you can't actually find the remote. Motion control is pretty useless, it's not very accurate, either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough - I think you need a very bright room for it to work. Touch remote - not very intuitive at all, same as the motion controls, sometimes too sensitive, and sometimes it just doesn't do anything.

* Buzz: I think I got lucky and found a non buzzer, relatively speaking. My old 58" was definitely a buzzer, so I know what a buzzer sounds like. There is still a buzz, but it's not audible over any volume and I have to turn my ears towards the TV (sitting right in front of it, from about 2.5m away) to hear it. For the new TV, it's a more gentle hum than the high frequency static buzz of my old 58" (which was audible over normal volume). The buzz on the new set is also more audible from the back than on the front (complete opposite of the old TV), so not sure how this would affect wall mounters. The buzz fluctuates with brightness though, whereas with my old TV, it was more constant. In terms of loudness, sitting from my usual distance, my Foxtel IQ2 box in playback mode makes much more noise. Will post back if the buzz situation changes over time.

* Misc: Haven't tried web browsing much, but pages loaded really quickly, as quick as you would expect on a computer. Using the touch remote to navigate still seemed like a chore though, due to the over sensitive nature of the touch area, and having to hover over the virtual keyboard to type in every letter. The Samsung wireless keyboard/touchpad seems like a better way to control the browser.

Nice review mate, pity about the black switching off phenomenon I reckon... that's not the way to get best blacks..

Nice review mate, pity about the black switching off phenomenon I reckon... that's not the way to get best blacks..

Katzmaier's Cnet review (see link below) actually found the Samsung to have better black levels than the ST50, and certainly better than the VT30, so black levels are not bad at all. So in a semi-lit room, this "switching" is not that noticeable mainly because the normal black levels are pretty good already, so there's very little perceivable difference between the switched off screen (which is, obviously, completely black) and the black areas of the switched on screen. In a well lit room, I doubt you'll be to notice it at all unless you're looking for it.

It also doesn't activate on all black screens, since the black screen pattern on the BBC Life Blu-ray doesn't activate this switching off, and some fades don't do it either - I guess it must be a 100% black image without even a single non black pixel.

http://www.trustedre...s8000_TV_review

Review seems to suggest the Panasonic 2012 range will have better PQ?

Not sure I trust that review, despite the website's name, to be honest. It keeps on talking about "Vivid" mode, and I have never and would never use that mode on the Samsung. The testing also appears to have been done without calibration or even any mention of settings. And finally, the 51" is not even available in Australia, and the 60" and 64" are known to have much better black levels.

Even though it's for the US model, Chad B's and Katzmaier's Cnet reviews are probably a bit more trustworthy. They too found that the Panasonic range was better in quite a few areas, Katzmaier preferring the way the Panasonic ST50 handled blacks (slight black crush on the E8000?) and the overall PQ (only "by a nose", it has to be said), while Chad B preferred the Blu-ray quality on the E8000 over the GT50. Katzmaier may be having trouble with his meter though, possibly to do with the 96Hz CS mode on the TV, which is why he had trouble getting the reference color settings on the E8000, but Chad had no problem.

Whilst it's nice to know the 2012 model has improved on the 2011, and beats the VT30 in some areas, it's a pity to know it's now compared to the low end ST50?

So currently, no Fbr, some reports of buzz, and this black off issue... not bad for a brand new model I guess.

And yes, I wish there were more HDMI ports, especially if we lose a VGA port... not a big loss...

The smart remote is silly if you ask me... not easy to use...