Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

2012 Samsung E Series Tv Discussion

I was wondering if someone could test a flash web site for me to confirm whether it would work on there samsung

I watch a lot of sport at vipbox.com. Its a great site for catching up on sport rarely televised but my local H/N store couldn't get it to work said the samsung didn't play flash video and really just wanted to sell me a LG i wasn't interested in

Could someone test this for me as its a deal breaker for me

the samsung website states is does use flash , would depend on if you were looking at an es8000 or the new fs8000 model. I would also point out I went to vipbox.com & was blocked by malware bites as a bad site.

es8000 - This TV does feature limited Flash support within the browser however Flash player is not available as an application. also - we introduced a Full Web Browser that is HTML5 and Flash compatible, so lots of content appears as it should when surfing the net.

But it was just the ch 10 stream in even poorer quality anyway

Well that is good news as at least it played. Channel 10 takes the Sky feed so if you checked during the race they would be the same, but i watch first practice, second practice, and the warm up sessions on the net and only watch Qualifying and the race on 10 which is all 10 show. I know the quality is not great but what to do if you love your F1 and it isn't televised.

Thanks plumgas

I think the es 55 plasma looks like bargain at the moment as you can always buy the upgrade kit for $300ish. But i might have left my run to late as i am now having trouble finding anyone with any stock left.

Anyone know were there is any left?

Question the power use. The difference between the plasma and a LCD looks huge but can someone put it in dollar terms if a TV is used allot eg 12 to 14 hours a day

I think the main problem with the plasma is this power buzzing noise, I had full intention on buying a plasma but changed my mind at the store.

Thanks plumgas

I think the es 55 plasma looks like bargain at the moment as you can always buy the upgrade kit for $300ish. But i might have left my run to late as i am now having trouble finding anyone with any stock left.

Anyone know were there is any left?

Question the power use. The difference between the plasma and a LCD looks huge but can someone put it in dollar terms if a TV is used allot eg 12 to 14 hours a day

Power ratings are measured at peak. In other words its the highest amount of power the device is capable of using.

For Plasma power consumption varies a lot depending on how many pixels are illuminated and how bright. Full power is only consumed when a full white screen is displays with the contrast control cranked up to maximum, a situation that should never be possible in normal use. Average power consumption should be around half the peak rating.

On the other hand LCD power consumption is relatively constant so the quoted power ratings are really not comparable at all to Plasma.

In dollar terms the running costs the difference is likely less than $1 a week. If that's of concern to you buying a new TV is probably outside your budget.

I think the main problem with the plasma is this power buzzing noise, I had full intention on buying a plasma but changed my mind at the store.

Most Plasma TV's “buzz” no more than a CRT TV. Many millions of consumers have not found buzz a problem with their Plasma TV's.

Having said that, the only reason to choose Plasma over LCD is because you like the picture quality Plasma provides compared to LCD. Most people are perfectly happy with or even prefer the LCD look while others find it distasteful. Lucky people still have a choice.

In dollar terms the running costs the difference is likely less than $1 a week. If that's of concern to you buying a new TV is probably outside your budget]

Thanks Owen

I thought it was something small like that. LCD at half of the power of a plasma sounds great but at a dollar a week its not worth considering.

I tried to love the LCD, everyone wanted to sell me a LCD but i am a plasma person for sure. The blacks look ok on a LCD to me but i can see white coming thou the screen unless it is on the highest setting. On the highest setting they look ok but i just like the plasma better.

There were a few Fs8000 plasmas around a couple of weeks ago but its looking like i might have to move up to a F's bigger and almost double the price

Thanks Owen

I thought it was something small like that. LCD at half of the power of a plasma sounds great but at a dollar a week its not worth considering.

I tried to love the LCD, everyone wanted to sell me a LCD but i am a plasma person for sure. The blacks look ok on a LCD to me but i can see white coming thou the screen unless it is on the highest setting. On the highest setting they look ok but i just like the plasma better.

There were a few Fs8000 plasmas around a couple of weeks ago but its looking like i might have to move up to a F's bigger and almost double the price

You can also have a look at the new Panasonic ST60. The 60 inch ST60 is at $2299 at big brown box.

Has anyone purchased and managed to successfully install the Evolution kit ? (SEK-1000)

As per: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2110989&p=-1bottom

I am having no luck even with my second kit.

Installed as per instructions and get kit recognized and an installing window down the bottom left corner of the TV. When it reaches 100% the TV restarts but then displays a message 'no USB devices found. Please try again later' Running 1021 firmware installed via online ( have also tried with firmware 1020 on USB which is the latest version on Samsung AU website). TV is a UN60ES8000 LED.

Whilst kit is connected I also cannot connect to the Internet via either LAN adaptor or wireless. Suspect Samsung AU need to update the firmware available (1020 was updated on the website 26/2/13 but don't know about 1021 as it was installed direct to TV via online update)

Have emailed Samsung again so will see what they say but doubt it is a hardware fault with 2 kits.

Youngstar

I installed my kit on friday, no problems installed fine.

Has anyone purchased and managed to successfully install the Evolution kit ? (SEK-1000)

As per: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2110989&p=-1bottom

I am having no luck even with my second kit.

Installed as per instructions and get kit recognized and an installing window down the bottom left corner of the TV. When it reaches 100% the TV restarts but then displays a message 'no USB devices found. Please try again later' Running 1021 firmware installed via online ( have also tried with firmware 1020 on USB which is the latest version on Samsung AU website). TV is a UN60ES8000 LED.

Whilst kit is connected I also cannot connect to the Internet via either LAN adaptor or wireless. Suspect Samsung AU need to update the firmware available (1020 was updated on the website 26/2/13 but don't know about 1021 as it was installed direct to TV via online update)

Have emailed Samsung again so will see what they say but doubt it is a hardware fault with 2 kits.

Youngstar

Where did you get the 1021 firmware from?

I don't think the firmware on samsung website is for tv with the upgrade kit installed. The latest firmware for the kit is 1001 & another one is being released in sept.

I thought that update was buggy? I've tried it a few times with the Samsung tech at my house and every time the motherboard had to be replaced. The one time we did get it to work o had no internet access.

So did you have any issues when you updated?

Finally got my EVO kit successfully installed. First set of Samsung techs replaced the motherboard but still didn't work so put original motherboard back in. Second tech managed to fix by first ensuring power was fully discharged from the TV by removing power cord and then pressing the power button on the back of the set a few times until the relay clicked. Just wish they had included this step in the instructions as would have saved everyone a lot of headaches !

anyone having issues with samsung smart hub today, lost all apps

anyone having issues with samsung smart hub today, lost all apps

Yep on my F8000 - cured it by doing a software update manually. Newly installed contained a few extra apps.

the samsung servers were down & came back on later sunday afternoon, all good now