2012 Samsung E Series Tv Discussion

I'm having trouble with mine too Paul - So don't feel like you're alone. It's not bothering me yet though.

It did the firmware update when I first fired it up on Friday night no problem.

It's a great panel :)

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends

My D8000 has a bad HDMI board, so I have an option to upgrade with a top up. Does your E 8000 buzz at all. Mine has a buzz which can be heard from across the room when there is nothing on the telly.

Either that, I can stick with my model and get another D8000... choices..

I'm having trouble with mine too Paul - So don't feel like you're alone. It's not bothering me yet though.

It did the firmware update when I first fired it up on Friday night no problem.

It's a great panel :)

Yep, I am still having no luck with a successful update of the web browser. All other functions of the smarthub work (to an acceptable level - it's a TV in the end, not a computer).

Pete, I believe the buzz is still present on the E series but very much acceptable. This is going to be subjective for each user and certainly may become an issue for you given your close proximity to the set. Apart from recording the sound with a phone, I don't really know anyother way that you could 'share' what the sound is like and again this is so subjective as different phones will have different sensitivity, depending on where you stand to record the sound would make a difference etc. Persoanlly, I am not overly happy that it's audible at all, but given that I can't hear it once the sound is on (even in very quiet scenes) I think I need to get over it and accept it for what it is and enjoy the awesome picture.

Friends

My D8000 has a bad HDMI board, so I have an option to upgrade with a top up. Does your E 8000 buzz at all. Mine has a buzz which can be heard from across the room when there is nothing on the telly.

Either that, I can stick with my model and get another D8000... choices..

I think it also depends on each particular TV as to the level of the buzz (that's why they call it "buzz lottery"). Regardless of which model you get, you might have to play a few rounds if you find one that's not acceptable (the good thing is you have a baseline for what is acceptable).

The E8000's only major useful improvements upon the D8000 is the better black levels (black levels are better with CS on, better than last year's VT30, about the same as this year's GT50, although whites are less bright than this year's Panasonics), and a dual core processor for more responsive apps. The other new features, like Smart Interaction, isn't worth much, although the built-in camera may be useful if you use Skype.

How much do you have to pay to upgrade?

Thanks Paul

So PQ is good, and QC issues (sans buzz) has been good?

Hmm... it's a 1200$ difference... heh, unless they have sold out on all their D series... I was hoping for a buzz free experience, then I tried my Kuro last night and it buzzes! So I wonder how I missed that before...

Thanks HTPC

Better blacks than the D8000?

Worth $1200? The poser ... (I got a rather sweet deal on my D8000, that's why I got that...)

I loses a HDMI, gain one USB, lose a VGA (my Lenovo has no HDMI so I can only use my Mac). Gain some blacks on CS - is the blacks a lot better?

Thanks HTPC

Better blacks than the D8000?

Worth $1200? The poser ... (I got a rather sweet deal on my D8000, that's why I got that...)

I loses a HDMI, gain one USB, lose a VGA (my Lenovo has no HDMI so I can only use my Mac). Gain some blacks on CS - is the blacks a lot better?

I can only compare with my old C7000, and while blacks are noticeably better, it's probably not worth spending $1200 on.

BTW, I can't get anything more than jpeg / mp3 files to work..

All my mp4, slideshows etc don't work... is this the case with the E series?

Haven't really used the built-in media player much, but having just tested it, it's surprisingly okay. A homemade MP4 file (H.264, AAC) that was made with PS3 compatibility in mind played perfectly. Tested using a downloaded1080p trailer and it worked. Tried a downloaded MP4 file (encoded using settings that are fairly common with downloaded MP4s), and it worked too. Tried a downloaded MKV as well, and that worked fine too. The manual lists quite extensive support for a lot formats, even more obscure ones like WebM, as well as good subtitles support (SMI, SRT, SUB, SSA, ASS, PSB).

Here's a 1080p MP4 trailer that you can download to test if it works on your D8000, since this one definitely works on my E8000:

http://www.dvdloc8.com/clip.php?movieid=24363&clipid=1

Thanks

There is some USB voodoo going on... it works on a 1Gb thumb, but not my 8gb thumb... so... anyhow whilst awaiting the replacement, I have been playing with my set. It can do FW updates via USB, but you need to install the file, using a PC first to unwrap the file, then place that folder onto the USB drive.

@Paul:

There is some talk over at AVS about a software glitch regarding downloads, so maybe a future FW will resolve your issues.

Thinking hard, and since they won't budge on the price of the new E 8000, I will stick with a D8000 replacement. Apologies for clogging up the E series thread on my woes :(

I bought a 5 year warranty so that should give me some peace.

With the previous problems with Samsung firmware "updates" why would anyone want to update the firmware on a Samsung TV?

If its not broken dont try and fix it.

But this is Samsung, something is *always* broken :)

Last year, it was the brightness pops (which based on posts I've read was fixed via firmware), before that was the CS bug (which firmware didn't fix), and this year it's the "black image screen turn off" bug/feature.

Also, sometimes it's really hard to resist upgrading when the changelog says something tempting like "improves picture quality", although it's probably best to let others be the guinea pigs (slightly easier here in Australia since our firmware updates are one or two versions behind everywhere else).

With the previous problems with Samsung firmware "updates" why would anyone want to update the firmware on a Samsung TV?

If its not broken dont try and fix it.

True, but I didn't even know there was an update available when I installed mine. It prompted me during setup to upgrade the firmware so I would rather do it then than when the settings are all done in case it resets them.

The average person would upgrade firmware if prompted. If you are given the option it is usually an upgrade, not a downgrade. That's what the average person would think.

I'm not up with the buzzing issue btw. Based on that, according to me, the buzzing on my E8000 is not! I love my screen so far (Touch wood!)

Another day, another smarthub update. Can't continue to use it without the update. I don't want lee naa's whatever it is but they keep forcing it down.

Still unable to use the web browser as it wants to update but can't complete the update.

During the new update tonight, it stopped half way along so I cancelled it, now I have lost skype (again).

Seriously frustrating stuff. I wish I could disable the button on my remote so I can't use it anymore.

Another day, another smarthub update. Can't continue to use it without the update. I don't want lee naa's whatever it is but they keep forcing it down. Still unable to use the web browser as it wants to update but can't complete the update. During the new update tonight, it stopped half way along so I cancelled it, now I have lost skype (again). Seriously frustrating stuff. I wish I could disable the button on my remote so I can't use it anymore.

Are you able to get far enough into the Smart Hub to access the reset function? When in Smart Hub, press the "Tools" button on your remote, access the "Settings" and there's a "Reset" function, which basically factory defaults the Smart Hub and removes all downloaded app. A clean start should solve this problem, since I've been updating apps without any issues (including the browser).

I have reset it a couple of times.

Tonight I just turned it on and it said smarthub update is starting. It then said deleting big pond movies and Skype, then proceeded to install Facebook, your restaurant, hello world. I previously removed these as I have no need for them what so ever.

It was also trying to install another app (the picture thing) but looks like that failed. It has now completed and I am reinstalling / downloading Skype again.

The only apps I would ever use is YouTube, Skype, and the web browser two out of three work fine. The web browser needs the update but I can't get it to complete before it times out and returns to normal tv viewing. If only I could get it from the web and then install from USB - that would make things so much easier.

If they ever want to make some improvements, they really need to include a process status indicator along side of 'updating' so the operator knows how long they have to wait. I don't mind waiting, it's the unknown factor that is crap.

I've seen the progress bar on certain app updates, most likely the optional ones, but not on the built-in ones.

You have tried with a wired Ethernet connection right? I'm using that instead of Wi-Fi, as from the same location, the connection o fa Samsung Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi was a bit flaky.

Yes, I have tried with both wireless and wired but it's not my connection because I can connect to youtube, Skype etc... and all the smarthub updates work (another one again tonight with two more standard apps installed).

I obviously have corrupted the web browser app somehow and now it is locked. Even when I reset smarthub to factory it doesn't make a difference. It does have an email address for smarthub and a unique ID number so I might contact them and see where that takes me.

As a side note, I love watching oneHD, the picture quality is so good; I really wish the other stations get remotely close.

I can access the web browser now. I think I need to get myself a Keyboard/mouse for the thing, navigating is painful!

Love the pic.

Oh and my TV does buzz a little, (I heard it last night) but it doesn't take my enjoyment of the screen away, so I'm not worried about it. There is no such thing as the perfect screen. If that's all this screen does - I'll be more than happy :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A test disk or pattern will show you how high the contrast control can be set before clipping sets in, this is not the setting you use as the panel is being driven as hard as possible with that setting which risks burn in.

If you like or need to run contrast that high a Plasma was probably not a suitable purchase.

Somewhat related to this, Cnet "accidentally" ran their own image retention test when the test disc they were using froze at the title screen and the same image was left on the screen for 8 hours. The Samsung E series (a E6500) actually won against a GT50 and VT50 in terms of image retention, with the Samsung recording virtually no IR at all. This was using the out of the box setting (so something like cell light/contrast at 20/95, in movie mode). The GT fared the worst, with semi-permanent IR that didn't go away completely even after 4 days of continuous running of a test disc.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/