Samsung Bd D5500 Comments Any1 Got 1?

I am interested in starting time to start a dual layer Bd video such as In Time. My first out Sharp Blu-ray player goes blank for 3 nminutes then starts up so thinking of upgrading. Also in the mix is the change to MP4 for some torrents that we cannot play on our current DVD players via USB.

Does this player play MP4 and MKV via USB ok?The manual implies that is so but just checking as JB has this model on special for $148 or so from today.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on my experiences with the BD-D6500 (a little further up in the range) I would hestitate to recommend Samsung at the moment.

The firmware and Samsung's quality control (or lack of) is the problem.

I upgraded my player in February with the February firmware - started noticing minor sound droupouts during playback of MKV and MP4 files. Both 2.0 and 5.1, both Dolby and DTS. No problems with Blu-ray discs though. Pretty sure the problem was introduced with the firmware upgrade. So Samsung released another firmware update this last week. Installed that hoping it would fix the sound dropouts. Now over 50% of my MKV and MP4 files either will not play at all or play with no sound and a message "CODEC not supported".

I am done with Samsung - I should have checked before upgrading - AVS forums are full of complaints about Samsung's last 2 firmware updates for this player in the US and the UK.

I downloaded the USA and UK firmware versions - they are identical to the version downloaded from the Aust support site.

As to your original question - the bd-d**** series seem to load discs much faster than the old BD-1600A I had.